AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'd like to upgrade my speakers . For under $2500 for a pair of speakers plus center, what would you recommend ? I went to a local store they showed me KEF q900 plus q600 center . The sound is great. What do you think KEF ?any other better? Thanks for your recommendation.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
There are way too many to list.

What are you looking for? Do they need to look good, real wood veneer etc.?

Are you going to get a sub or do you want the most full range you can get?

Any size limitations on the center?

Are you planning on more music or HT use?

How far is you listening position?

For $2500 one of the first speakers sets that jumps to mind is the Aperion Grande Versus and SVS Ultra sets. Both offer free shipping and generous in home trial periods.

·
Registered
32,822 Posts
Hi Guys

I'd like to upgrade my speakers . For under $2500 for a pair of speakers plus center, what would you recommend ? I went to a local store they showed me KEF q900 plus q600 center . The sound is great. What do you think KEF ?any other better? Thanks for your recommendation.
You looking for towers and horizontal center?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are way too many to list.

What are you looking for? Do they need to look good, real wood veneer etc.?

Are you going to get a sub or do you want the most full range you can get?

Any size limitations on the center?

Are you planning on more music or HT use?

How far is you listening position?

For $2500 one of the first speakers sets that jumps to mind is the Aperion Grande Versus and SVS Ultra sets. Both offer free shipping and generous in home trial periods.
I have a sub now. And no size limitation on the center. I am planning on more HT use. The listening position is 15-21 ft away.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Then I would go with something from this line. A pair of CT12s and a CX10 or 8 for the center, with the concentric driver/cone you can lay them on the side with no change in sound. Your listening position is far enough that you might want to use high efficiency speakers like these. And by all accounts they sound fantastic.

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/speakers

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Then I would go with something from this line. A pair of CT12s and a CX10 or 8 for the center, with the concentric driver/cone you can lay them on the side with no change in sound. Your listening position is far enough that you might want to use high efficiency speakers like these. And by all accounts they sound fantastic.

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/speakers

This is an excellent recommendation Kini.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Reaction would be a great choice if you can accommodate a CX-10 as a center speaker for a pair of CX-12 towers. That should be able to get you serious THX Reference level sound. If you are not looking for an Imax type of sound, there are lots of other good manufacturers like KEF.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Hi Guys

As others have said at that price range lot's of options. My bit of advice is don't be afraid of the used market - you'll get a lot more bang for your buck and have some avenues open to you you otherwise wouldn't

·
Registered
32,822 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I recommend you check out Goldenear speakers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recommend you check out Goldenear speakers.

If they are out I would check out the Triton 5s they should be hitting dealers soon.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Get a 3-way center. 2-way centers in general have a bunch of issues (depends on crossover point but...) and are not that great.

Reactions: toddman36

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Get a 3-way center. 2-way centers in general have a bunch of issues (depends on crossover point but...) and are not that great.
That really has more to do with the speaker design then simply just being a 2-way or 3-way. I've hear plenty of high efficiency design 2-way speakers that worked awesome as a center channel.

·
Registered
758 Posts
That really has more to do with the speaker design then simply just being a 2-way or 3-way. I've hear plenty of high efficiency design 2-way speakers that worked awesome as a center channel.
If they look like a sideways MTM, they are going to have lobing issues, unless they have a VERY low crossover point (around 1,000 Hz)

I suggest reading here:
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

and here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
If they look like a sideways MTM, they are going to have lobing issues, unless they have a VERY low crossover point (around 1,000 Hz)

I suggest reading here:
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

and here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614
I have used a 2-way MTM design and had it horizontal, it was my JTR 228HT and there was zero lobing issues. My current speaker which is a Reaction Audio CX-15, it's a 2-way design with zero lobing issues. Or course it is also a coax design. My point is your statement was very generalized and there's plenty of examples that prove otherwise to what you said.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have used a 2-way MTM design and had it horizontal, it was my JTR 228HT and there was zero lobing issues. My current speaker which is a Reaction Audio CX-15, it's a 2-way design with zero lobing issues. Or course it is also a coax design. My point is your statement was very generalized and there's plenty of examples that prove otherwise to what you said.
Based on what's available, I feel comfortable with this generalization. Not many people know about, own, or can afford JTR speakers in their house. The JTR worked because it uses a horn-loaded compression driver crossed low. That represents perhaps 1% of the CC that are out there in use.

·
Registered
475 Posts
no one mentioned Ascend Sierra Towers at $1998/pair ?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Across the width of your HT, or a single LP?

An MTM horizontal design is a compromise in itself, majority vote (speakers being voters) says lobing will be an issue. Statements are generalized because more often than not, said statement applies to nearly all applications.

Coaxial speakers would not fall into this category (as you stated), like KEF speakers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts