AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through the room arrangement of the month trying to decide how to best arrange my room since I've had my plasma.

For a while, I was leaning toward a wall mount, but I ended up moving things again in search of better audio. Now, the plasma is well out from the well and I think this will be it's final position since I like the room arrangement and the audio better with the speakers well out from the wall.

So, instead of using the desk stand that came with it on a conventional TV stand, I'm considering ordering a dedicated plasma stand to get rid of the bulk of the TV stand. I think it would look cleaner and perhaps give me a bit of flexibility in terms of how high or low I want to put the display though perhaps only within a fairly small delta.

Anyone have an experience with these? I've been checking on the web, but though many sites say they sell various stands they tell you next to nothing about them. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who is using one as to their good and bad points.

Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Linda,

I bought a Salamander piece of furniture on casters (thank God!) which has room for my components beneath the plasma. I have pierced metal screen doors on the cabinet and my remote signals go through it beautifully. My pieces are finished in walnut and it looks like good furniture. This may be "too much" for your look, however.

I cannot recommend the piece I've got more -- we've had to roll the entire thing out more times than I can count (even using fingers AND toes). It's wide enough for the plasma to sit securely on its stand. I have matching side tower units and a bridge between the sides and above the plasma for the center front speaker. It all looks great and all pieces slide out as needed.

Leslie

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Cineramax (Peter) - I'm sorry, but it just doesn't 'float my boat'.

Linda - I will be making a custom floor stand for a client of mine, for his 50" Pioneer CMX. It will be either 3-4" square or round tube single column pedistal, with a small base that will be bolted to the floor. All wiring will be hidden inside and disappear into floor. This will be centered on a wall of 7 foot tall glass panels. If you know a crafstman in your neck of the woods maybe a custom unit would serve you better. Column could be painted, chromed, powder coated or whatever. You didn't mention what your decor is?

Good luck, Bruce

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! I'll have to check these options out and see if anything will work for me. I'm looking for a fairly minimalist stand. Shelves aren't a requirement. Actually, I'd probably prefer not to have them. Stability, minimal bulk, a little flexibility with adjusting the height of the display and perhaps being able to hide cables are my primary requirements.

I hadn't considered the custom option. That might not be a bad idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.