Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I think I'm getting up to speed pretty well on the wall and ceiling treatment stuff with Green Glue. Great info here.

My question is for the floor. I know lots of folks have their home theater in the basement and give special attention to the ceiling. My HT will be on the 3rd floor attic area of my home. Am I thinking correctly that I should be giving the same consideration to the floor that a basement HT is giving to the ceiling?

Along those lines, am I properly allocating material / costs by double drywalling the ceiling with GG. Wondering if maybe I should focus more on the floor. Or both?

Would a layer of GG then another layer of plywood on the floor make sense? How does that compare to Accoustimat or other floor treatments?

Much thanks for the insights.

J

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just finished the attic into my bedroom in my parents house (im 16) and I too have used this forum to my advantage to soundproof it. Soundproofing was a high priorty for me since it is directly above my parents room. Plus, I have a kicking stereo system that I hook up to my computer, play guitar and saxophone etc.

This is what was already there:

There was a subfloor that I presumed as hardwood. (tongue and groove)

Below that subfloor in the joist cavities there was fill insulation. Insulation in a floor is important because it cuts down on the echoing that occurs in cavities while walking on it (or bass thumping it for that matter).

This is what I did:

I put anywhere from about 2 to 3 layers of (90 pound (about 20 bucks a roll))roofing rubber on top of the subfloor. I then framed the kneewalls on top of that rubber. Then I squared off the ceiling. I figured sound escaping throught the kneewalls wasnt as big of a deal as sound escaping through the floor. So all I did was put insulation in the kneewalls and then plastic on top of that to seal the space and provide for a vapor barrier. I then just put plain ole half inch drywall up and caulked the outlet boxes with regular caulk.

Then, I put half inch plywood over the rubber and screwed it in. I decided to put carpet in my room so I made sure to get the thickest and dencest (sp?) pad possible.

Results:

I think my results are very good. Lets put it this way, I can run a vacume cleaner and a circular saw up there and you cant hear it from the second floor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.