AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm "rebuilding" my theater, and am still floor mounting (last place was a floor mount too). My last screen was 96" wide, I'm now at 90" wide (16:9).

I find that with the projector in the "best seat", I'm sitting to either side. But when I put seating on either side, and I'm practically using the projector as an armrest, I still feel that I'm very off center from the screen, and at times ask myself "why do I bother with a floor mount".

The Barco 808 is ~ 24" wide, and the average seat I've used is about 24" wide. This is a total width of only 72", nearly 2 feet narrower than my total screen width... yet I always feel like I'm sitting way off to the left.

I just nitpicking here, right? And itching to ceiling mount this beast? (Not an option, I still rent, :()

·
Registered
247 Posts
can you sit behind the pj ?

we will be getting our coffeetable soon and the pj will be inside.

i plan on being able to use the table as a footrest as the couch is will be behind the coffeetable.

will your screen shrink too much if the pj is moved forward ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I sit just in front and to the side and it works just fine for me. I have a small table just in front of the projector used for drinks, etc. I too project a 90" wide 16X9 How high is yours mounted? Can you sit down low in front of it? I could easily do that with mine. It sits about 30" from the lens to the floor. Try a LOW couch.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's my current mount: http://spearce.org/HomeTheater/Table...JPG.index.html

Its about 17" from floor to the A point on the projector (bottom of the projector's mounting hole). This puts my lenses about 24" from the floor, which just happens to also be the bottom of my screen. If I raise the projector up, I'd have to downangle the projector some (its level right now).

Behind the projector in this room would push the the projector up enough to give only about a 60" screen width. This is a Barco after all, perhaps one of the longest CRTs made. :) Sure a 60" wide screen is good, but I was hoping for a little larger size, especially after having 96" before. I'd settle in the high 70s, but I don't think I can get that throw distance, plus length of Barco, plus seating behind the projector in my room. I'll double check later tonight with the LENS program and by measuring the room again.

As for low, the wife and I need low furniture anyway, we're short people. I'm starting to look at furniture, as we have nothing in the theater. Given the time I spend in there, I'm shopping true theater seating, e.g. Jaymar/Bass Ind, Berkline, etc. These are too tall to fit in 30", and if you poke around my theater site, you'll find I already tried the projector over viewer method and failed. (My grandfather who was a good carpenter during his lifetime must have rolled over in his grave when I tried that project.)

·
Registered
16,934 Posts
spearce ,

-- check out my www link above and see how I keep the best seat ;) .

-- Might be a bit tougher with a 808 but this method can give amazing results shooting directly to the middle of your screen [ almost Zero keystone ] .

---- Jason

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i agree floor mounting sucks!!!mine is mounted in my custom table,and i sit behind it,and have seats on the side as well....i don't get the feeling you describe in either location, but i do hate losing those seats...aside from i think ceiling mounted looks so much better..

brickie

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm going to post pics soon of my new setup.

I am floor mounting in my bedroom. The only two seats in my setup are on the bed. The view distance is about 2/3 the throw (or the screen width). The view is AWESOME! Great FOV! Great WOW factor! I also aimed the projector up a bit as my media cart doesn't sit the projector up very high. I then measured the angle that the lenses were pointing up and I built a custom keystone eliminator (made out of two thin pieces attached together at a right angle, attached to my tripod screen with c-clamps). 72" wide screen and the top of the screen sticks out 10 inches further so I have virtually no keystone. It seems like I have more convergence stability without keystoning. Sitting so low (on the bed) it's nice to have the screen aiming down.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The ONLY reason I use a floor mount is because of the High Power screen which is very directional.

Otherwise put it on the ceiling where it belong's because a can of beer can cost a bundle if you know what I mean.

David

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason, I seriously considered the shelf concept when I started, and even found one at HD that claimed it could carry 200 lbs on the top of it. I decided against it, as the shelf looked like it'd carry 75 on the top, and the manufacturer was wishing for 200. :(

Mike, be nice to see your setup, if anything might help me with some ideas.

David, your definately right about a can of beer, but thankfully I don't drink, and when my buddies who do are over, no drinks are allowed in the HT. :D Of couse, I'm hopelessly addicted to Coke, so I'm not really sure what is worse, a can of coke or a can of beer -- either would seem to cost me a bundle.

I just ran the numbers in LENS. My room is just over 15 feet long. A 70" wide screen requires approximately an 8.5 foot throw distance. The Barco 808 is just under 4 feet long. After taking both the 8.5 foot throw and the 4 foot projector length into account, I'm left with under 3 feet of space in the room. Ideally I'd like 2 feet of space behind the furniture to provide a walking path, which leaves me with 0.75 feet of space. Clearly I need to go even smaller screen size, or I can't put the furniture behind the projector.

I have other reasons too, the 808 is noiser when you are in back than in front, as the machine vents out the rear. Parking myself in front has never given rise to desiring a hush box. :)

I may need to reconsider raising the projector up 40 or so inches from the floor. If I did this, I'd go with steel pipe this time around, but frankly I'm lazy.

Thanks for the input gents, it helped some. I just went back in the room after I got home from work to double check the room dimensions and think that the FOV resulting from being on the side, but just in front of the projector may be so much that it just doesn't matter your to the side. Besides, I may be able to find furniture where the arms are low enough to shoot right over the inside armrest or something, and pull the chairs in a tad closer.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
There's no reason you couldn't build a free-standing frame which spans the width of the room or just the couch in the middle. Wood or metal supports on the end, heavy gauge 1 5/8" square unistrut spanning between them so you're only loosing a couple inches apart from where the projector itself is.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I sit behind mine which puts me about twice the screen width away from the screen. I prefer this distance, so the projector's not getting the best seat as far as I'm concerned. Still, I hate it on the floor and will ceiling mount once I get in a position to do so.

spearce, you and I are in a battle for the crown of fugliest HT set up. I'll try to get some photos of mine soon.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil, you should have seen pics I took (then lost before posting) of my rearrangement of my furniture while in the old place.

The new place is more cramped, but a totally dedicated room that is all mine. I'm actually pricing out wall treaments right now, looking at some dark "acustically transparent" materials to hang on the walls and at least canopy over the screen side of the room to control light spill.

In the end, I think I'll get a really sweet "portable" theater setup I can rip down in a few hours and move to another squareish room....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like someone else has posted, I sit "behind" my floormounted projector; and there's a low coffee table between my sofa and the projector, for sitting beverages on, propping feet up, of what have you.

This seems to work best for my 10' wide by 26' deep dedicated room, with an 80" wide NTSC aspect wall=mounted screen. My seating is approximately 16 ft from the screen. I guess the narrowness of the room, since there is only about 2' on either side of the screen, still provides me with a satisfying screen-dominated room image.

I've also tried setting the sofa directly behind the floor-mounted projector (without the coffee table there), and although this had its merits, namely more easily discernible picture detail, especially with 16:9 material, but CRT projectors give off some heat :), and bass response in the room was nowhere as dramatic. On top of that, I lost the "middle" seat with this arrangement; not to mention a place to sit food, your feet, or a videogame console.

I'd love a ceiling mounting, but it's not that practical for me...especially since I don't feel that comfortable attempting to adjust/tweak the optical focus (or anything that requires removing the projector casing), standing in a chair (my ceiling isn't that high either), reaching to or pulling anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an idea that may seem odd. I don't have a projector so i don't even know if this would work, but what if you built a floor riser that housed the projector and put your couch or chair on top of it.

Instead of sitting under a ceiling mount you would be on top of your floor mount. I realize this may put your seating a bit high and may not work in a living room or other multi purpose rooms but it might in a dedicated theater.

Would it work or would the picture suffer from the placement?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My memory is escaping me, but one of the other folks on here that has a Barco 808 did exactly that. He lives over in Norway or something.... I usually wind up posting in his threads and his mine, but I am having a total memory lapse right now.. :(

Anyway, my projector would have to be up a few feet off the floor to keep the screen up a few feet. When you put me on a chair on top of it, I'm afraid I'd be looking down at the image. I have a vaulted ceiling, so I'm not concerned about hitting my head.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I guess I'll try to get a picture of this monster since I mention it so often, but I got a Chief CRT dual projector convergence table to put my "floor mount" CRT on. It's a totally heavy duty unit weighing way over 100 pounds and made primarily of steel, including chrome plated uprights. Right now, the PJ is at 37.5" (tube height), projecting 12 degrees to the vertical midpoint of my 96" screen (picture 92" wide). It sits 11' 6" from the screen.

My seating position is directly in front of the CRT on a love seat that's 30" high at the back and 11' from the screen, and in my normal slouch with feet on the coffee table, the picture easily clears my head. Since the PJ is behind me, I can eat, drink, and do other things I'd never dare to do if it were on the floor in front of me or next to me.

I'm thinking about raising the PJ higher and changing the projection angle (like DaGamePimp), except I'm just too lazy to remove the shims behind the lenses and go through the recalibration at this time. Still, with the Chief in the house, floor mounting rules.:D

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Here's a picture of the Chief CRT stand from the side. It's very sturdy.

You can see the proximity of the primary viewing position right in front. You also can see the equipment rack, turntable stand, and one of the rear surrounds in the background. As much as possible, I want everything behind me so nothing distracts from my line of sight forward.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whoa. Much bigger than I thought (for a stand), but I can see why you like using it.

I wonder if I could build a new stand and get it up high enough.... nah, too much work. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.