AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for floorstand speakers that can be placed very close to the wall on the right side. For left side it will be in a corner.

If anyone has experience for this setup situation, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

My budget will be around 400-800$.

Thank you for any comment

Pal

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Unfortunately, I cant think of a single speaker that doesn't want some space for itself. You might be able to get away with the speakers that are meant for Plasma displays.

Perhaps something like the B&W FPM series, but they are way out of your range at $1400-$1800.

Otherwise, if you can get an in home demo, you can see if corner loading the speakers yields and acceptable sound quality to you.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The main problem with main speakers too near to the wall is boomy bass due to reinforcement from walls and reduced sound stage. This is pretty much the case, to the best of my knowledge, with all floor standers. You can do a bit about bass by plugging the port if they speakers have them.

The floor standers do need a bit of space on back and sides.

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Any "bass reflex" speakers (those with "ports") need a LOT of room to "breathe." without sounding muddy and congested. Front ported bass reflex speakers are affected much less, if at all, by rear wall boundaries. However, corner loading is even a bigger problem in this scenario. Even an "Acoustic Suspension" speaker (totally sealed box.... no port holes) will be GREATLY affected by corner boundaries.

You are just going to have to "try" different speakers in your room and see which ones are affected the least and sound the best with your set up parameters.

·
Registered
450 Posts
They're out of the price range, but this may help. Verity Audio speakers are designed for close placement to the wall - the woofers are acoustically aligned for boundary reinforcement.

You may want to look for wall mount speakers that are designed for wall mounting, as opposed bookshelves with an keyhole mount.

·
Registered
623 Posts
What is the normal distance that a floorstander should be away from the back wall? I have Axiom M60s and experiences a lot until I found a good sound at 18" from the back wall. Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname
What is the normal distance that a floorstander should be away from the back wall? I have Axiom M60s and experiences a lot until I found a good sound at 18" from the back wall. Any opinions?
It will be different with each speaker because of how it is tuned and of course the room's interaction. But six inches is usually a "minimum" starting point.... then go from there until you get the best sound. At eighteen inches, it should be more than enough distance from the rear wall. Especially if you've got at LEAST that much from the side walls as well.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have a pair of polk audio R-20 bookshlf speakers that have the port on the front of the cabinet and they are sitting near the wall and they sound great , so maybe you can get a set of R-50s or rti10 which have the ports on the front of the speakers and they sound very good..

·
Registered
585 Posts
A little higher priced than what you are looking for, but Def Tech BP-7006 speakers can sound pretty good closer to a wall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all comments.

louthewiz: I have exactly the same situation as your picture below. My 7 feet width cabinet is close to one corner. Another side is close to door.

If I install wall-mounted speakers at the wall on both side of cabinet (cabinet dept 20"). I'm not sure what will be the worst result, floor stand or wall-mounted.

Any how, I will try to audit as much as I can.

Thank you,

Pal

http://www.entguy.com/_myupload/Mikroski/speaker.jpg

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I would be less worried about the port location and more concerned with the placement that close to the side wall. You need at least a few feet. You cant shove a speaker in a corner and expect decent performance

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikroski
Thank you for all comments.

louthewiz: I have exactly the same situation as your picture below. My 7 feet width cabinet is close to one corner. Another side is close to door.

If I install wall-mounted speakers at the wall on both side of cabinet (cabinet dept 20"). I'm not sure what will be the worst result, floor stand or wall-mounted.

Any how, I will try to audit as much as I can.

Thank you,

Pal

http://www.entguy.com/_myupload/Mikroski/speaker.jpg
vienna accustics makes flat pannel speakers that can be mounted on the side wall becuase the all bracket sticks out from the side. I think this would solve your problem, but unfortunatley they are out of your price range at about 800-1000 a pair for the surround size.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Why not just provide acoustic treatment to the wall? There are several products out there like echo buster and auralex.

·
Registered
843 Posts
A couple manufacturers offer speakers with boundary switches for close placement to walls. Atlantic technology has this feature through their product line (expect for maybe their lowest, entry-level speakers). Also, NHT offers a boundary switch in their M5 and M6 speakers. Either make should have speakers close to your budgeted price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedtsc
Why not just provide acoustic treatment to the wall? There are several products out there like echo buster and auralex.
I agree that in this situation, acoustic treatment is required. If anyone has url of product that can be implemented in this setup, it would be greatly appreciated.

For this moment I think I will select the speaker first then the treatment shall be follow.

Thanks,

Pal

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikroski
I agree that in this situation, acoustic treatment is required. If anyone has url of product that can be implemented in this setup, it would be greatly appreciated.

For this moment I think I will select the speaker first then the treatment shall be follow.

Thanks,

Pal
Try echobuster.com and auralex.com and search for dealers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.