AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decide on a set of floor standing speakers for my living room for the last few weeks, but I'm just running myself in circles so I come for help. I'd say I'm looking at a 60% TV, 30% music, and 10% movie split for these and will most likely be pairing them with a BIC F12 eventually. Looks are a consideration since these will be going in my main room.

I'm attempting to decide between the Polk Monitor 70 IIs, Klipsch RF-52s, Infinity P362s and the Energy RC-30s. All four can be found online for under $500 a pair and seem to fit my bill, but the only problem is that I can't find anywhere to listen to all four. The speakers I choose will be powered by my Onkyo 605.

Polks:

I have an older pair of Polk RTi8s in my theater room and I love the build quality and the overall sound; however, they occasionally sound a little artificial to my ears depending on the source material. I'm not an audiophile and can't really explain it, but I guess I wish they sounded more natural. I briefly listened to the TSi400s at Best Buy and they had a similar sound, but I thought the cabinets were really cheap. How do the Monitor 70s compare in sound/build quality to the RTi line? Are there any other center channels I could match with the 70s that aren't quite as beefy as the CS2/20?

Energy:

One thing driving me towards the RC-30s is that the RC-mini center channel is on sale right now and it is the only CC I've found that will fit in my TV stand. I love the look of the RC line, but I've heard they sound poor until you get ~100 hours on them.

Klipsch:

Familiar with the Klipsch sound on older models and it didn't bother me, so I'm keeping these in the running. Marginally more expensive than the other three, but still under $500 for the pair. I've never listened to the reference line, but I've read great things about the 52s. If I went this route, I'd most likely attempt to find a used RC-10 center to match with these due to the smaller size.

Infinity:

I'm not a fan of the gray bottoms or the vinyl on the P362s, but if they are generally considered good speakers I can live with that. These may be the only ones I can pull a test screening of, depending on whether or not the Frys web site is lying to me about local availability.

Thoughts from people with experience with any of the four? Are there other tower speakers I should be considering in this price range?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally speaking, I like Infinity P362s.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts