AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I was wondering how some Jamo floor standing speakers would perform as REAR SPEAKERS. Yes, so I want a total of 4 floor standings. I will also place a center channel both in the front and back, with two subwoofers. Please tell me what you think...and believe it or not, I'm actually only spending $40 more for this. I will be using the Integra DTR-7.4.

THANKS

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am using ProAc Studio 200 for rear right now. I believe floorstanders at rear are better than bookshelf ones unless you prefer dipolar/bipolar rear/back speakers.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
If you are asking if speakers from the same manufacturer is a good idea, then yes. You will get great voice matching and a convincing soundfield.

If the question is a generic, "are floor standing speakers good for surround", that is a matter of some discussion. Some people argue that surrounds should be mounted 2 to 3 feet higher than ear level...typically not the case with floor standing speakers. Some also argue that it is better to have a more diffuse surround soundfield, and some floorstaning speakers may produce more localized sound.

As with virtually everything in this hobby, you will probably get a wide variety of responses.

Let me just contribute some personal experience and leave it at that. I have tried floor standing, speakers on stands and wall mounting. Each has produced different, though not unpleasant results. I'm not arguing against floor standing, but if you get surrounds that can be mounted either on a stand or the wall, it gives you the opportunity to experiment.

Then again, I once crammed 4 Altec Lansing Stonehenge floor standing speakers in a not quite large enough room, but boy, did they sound good.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm running Floor Standers as Rear Surrounds and they sound great :) IMHO

Denon AVR-3805

2 x Paradigm Monitor 11's Mains

2 x Paradigm Monitor 7's Surrounds

1 x Paradigm CC-370 Center

1 x Paradigm PW-2100 Sub

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have old Fisher floor standing for mains and surrounds and sound great to. The fronts are 3way with 15" woofers, surrounds 3way with 12" woofers. Man movies with a lot of effects {explosions} you feel like your there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.