AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am a newbie.  I am putting together my first real sound system.

I am researching both receivers and speakers.

I am debating between floor standing speakers and bookshelf speakers. I honestly don't know which would be better for a home theater....  I'm sure there is a reason why people choose one over the other.. but I don't know what it is.

My  main goal is to have great sounding speakers for MUSIC.  I will use this system for a home theater and watching movies...  but my real desire is to have a system that will sound great for music.  I listen to a lot of different stuff, ranging from electronica and 80s music to modern top 40, classical, I even sometimes listen to my old rap music from high school... you know.. NWA and the 2 Live crew....  ;) haha  basically.. i have a WIDE range of music that I will listen to... 

i am on a budget.... so I will not be spending thousands... if i can score sweet deals on used stuff on CL I"m gonna go for it.

i have a Klispch SW-8 sub inside my tv stand laying on it's side... it put sour decent bass..nothign crazy but it's ok.  i plan to eventually get a larger sub and have it outside the unit..running it wirelessly so I can place it in the corner of the room.

My room is large. My house has a great room that contains the family room, dining room, and kitchen all in one space. It's almost 25 x 20.  9' ceilings.

i attached some photos of the space.

I have a large wooden TV stand / entertainment center that my TV sits on.  My plan is to buy a wall mount and put the TV up on the wall. then I'll put the center channel speaker where the TV is. I will then put either floor standing speakers along side the entertainment center or I will put book shelf speakers on the stand as well.

the problem is that my entertainment center is fairly wide and fills up my media niche to where i don't have a ton of space to fit wide speakers.  I can fit something about 8" wide along side the entertainment center.  that's it.

i was looking at klipsch speakers and I can fit an RF-42 or RF-52, but anything higher end is too wide and won't fit. 

I haven't researched bookshelf speakers.. so I don't know much about them, and don't know if they would suit my needs or if floor standers would be better.

if I were to source a new set of Klispch RF-52s or something similar... or find a pair of similar sized used speakers - that would fit alongside my entertainment center..woudl it sound ok for a room my size?  if I had bookshelf speakers...since they are smaller, wouldn't they sound wimpier and not fill up the room very well?

i had thought that if I started with decent but not "crazy expensive" main speakers..and bought something like Rf-52s... they would sound better than what i have..which is nothing... and then if i get into this hobby and want to go nuts and get really big and more expensive main speakers.. I could swap the RF-52s as rear surrounds and place them to the rear of the room... about 10' behind my couch is the wall .. and I could eventually either setup a wireless surround or drop speaker lines down the ceiling...

i'm trying to be budget conscious and buy my setup in phases. I can't go out and buy a whole system at once.  I am going to buy a receiver..and the left and right.  i'll add the center next.  then finally i'll do the surrounds.  I want it to sound good..but honestly.. right now I listen to my tV/movies/music on my TV speakers with my little SW-8 sub...  the sub shakes the TV... and it rattles. i want the TV up on the wall so it' stops vibrating.. I want better main speakers..and I want decent bass...

if i keep my existing tv stand I am stuck with relatively thin speakers.. or i could do bookshelf speakers on stands? or just sit them on the TV stand once the tV is up on the wall mount..

i don't know what i should do.... help!! :)

any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.  thanks!!

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
If you want great sounding speakers for music, you will resist the temptation to put them inside the cubby-hole that contains your tv. The sound will sound like it's coming out of a tunnel, you won't get a good soundstage, and the bass will be artificially enhanced.

If you go with floorstanding, you will need to put them in front of the walls that enclose the tv area. if you have kids, this could be problematic, as the right speaker will sit somewhat in the hallway. Frankly, if it were me, I would consider wall mounted speakers which would be attached to the front of the side walls of the tv cubby. Something like the Golden Ear on-walls or the Totem Dreamcatcher, or one of their new on-walls. Definitive technology has some very nice smaller speakers that aren't technically on-walls, but would work. PSB also has some on walls to check out.

Upgrade from the Klipsch, you won't regret it.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I'm with Ray Guy on the placement issues in that room. Room has a great influence on sound and placement in that alcove isn't a very good option.

I like bookshelves for their placement versatility and use subwoofers as even large floorstanders need bass help in almost all cases (and I do like my bass even for music, but especially movies); I'm using stands mostly for my fronts in two setups (one center is in a rack with the gear) and I've wall & ceiling mounted before as well. I'm single so no WAF or family concerns so I put them where they'll work best acoustically within room use constraints (my main system is in my living room, plus one in my bedroom....wish I had a good room to dedicate but not at this point).

I'd point you more at internet direct stuff in the way of speakers and subs for the performance at a better price than usually you get in the B&Ms. I like Ascend Acoustics' speakers a lot. Do you like that range of Klipsch speakers' sound? Personally I find them hard to listen to for any length of time, find them a bit too harsh or bright. Just what is your approximate budget for speakers?

Shopping used to save some $ can be okay once you know what you want and keep looking for a while until they pop up (even in the SF Bay Area where I used to live, it could take a while). B&M on a good sale might be a reasonable value for speakers, I'd stick to the internet sub companies for best value (or build my own as I plan to for my next addition). Many of the better internet direct guys will offer an in home trial period to make sure you want to keep them, some even pay shipping both ways. Your room is the best place to audition, too.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Really no set answer, depends on room, music or movies preference, if you like mains reproducing a bit lower, the looks etc. I use floorstanders and standmounts.

Standmounts can get around with boomy response, if you buy speakers that are too large for the room (although this can be sorted with using a higher crossover) but then paying for full range and hardly using them.

Ie Celestion A3 in a kids room, run full range and BOOOMY, so you set to small 120hz...but you might as well have bought Celestion A1's instead. Budget comes into it, IMO once you need to spend $800+ to get quality floorstanders.

Your room is defo a problem, with that alcove. In fact satellite speakers could be an option mounting them on the pillar/walls just in front of the TV on the wall.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you want to generally hear music as you walk around your house, placing speakers alongside TV is an okay solution.

If you want to pursue music / 2 channel and would like to extract real stereo imaging you will need to have the speakers out into the room. Warning: there are compromises ahead.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music#post_24492035

if I had bookshelf speakers...since they are smaller, wouldn't they sound wimpier and not fill up the room very well?
That's the assumption commonly made by those who assume that there is an inherent benefit to floor standers. That assumption is incorrect.

Floor standers have exactly one advantage over book shelves, and that's better low frequency response. That advantage disappears if you have subs, because then the floor standers aren't working in the lows anyway.

As to whether floor standers without subs are preferable to bookshelves with subs, the simple answer is no. In terms of low frequency extension and output the average floor stander falls well short of the average sub. So short that for serious HT use most floor stander users have to use subs anyway. More important is the issue of placement. For best results sources that operate above 100Hz and those that operate below 100H, ie, mains versus subs, will almost never work best sharing the same foot print. With floor standers putting the high and low frequency sources each where they work the best isn't an option.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
For music though floorstanders could be a better option if you don't like a subwoofer. Or if you use direct bypass the sub isn't active, and in a larger room standmounts with no sub could be a bit anemic.

Music doesn't have huge surges of ultra low bass.

In a regular Hi-Fi you run the mains full range, or with direct bypass there is no bass management.

Generally though I think...

small room = standmounts

large room = floorstanders requires, higher budget, 2 channel hifi.

I don't think floorstanders with built-in subs is ideal but ones that go pretty low, with a sub placed in the best spot dialled is a good option.

In my system

HiFi- 2 channel, standmounts, with a high pass with a subwoofer

HT - floorstanders set to small, with a subwoofer

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
As far as placement goes, the thing I would do is move the speakers forward so that they are half in and half out of the wall recess area.

As long as the FRONT of the speaker is out a bit from the side walls, there should be no problem.

The Monitor Audio BX-5 speakers are just over 8 inches wide; they should be a good choice.

For a bit less money, you can get the Yamaha NS-F150 speakers, which are less than 8 inches wide and only cost $250 each.

IMO the Klipsch RF-52 and RF-82 are some of the worst-sounding speakers on the market; absolutely awful.

Here is what a review in Home Theater Review said about them:

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

"lacked refinement and speed"

That is the worst review I have EVER read on ANY speaker! Beware.

IMO the best-sounding speakers for the money are the ones from Focal, PSB, and Monitor Audio.

Whatever you get, make sure the main midrange driver is about 32 inches or so from the floor (at ear level). Bookshelf speakers are not going to sound good sitting on the floor as the picture shows.

If you get bookshelf speakers, spend the money for a set of strong rigid steel stands; not flimsy wood ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music#post_24492642

As far as placement goes, the thing I would do is move the speakers forward so that they are half in and half out of the wall recess area.

As long as the FRONT of the speaker is out a bit from the side walls, there should be no problem.

The Monitor Audio BX-5 speakers are just over 8 inches wide; they should be a good choice.

For a bit less money, you can get the Yamaha NS-F150 speakers, which are less than 8 inches wide and only cost $250 each.

IMO the Klipsch RF-52 and RF-82 are some of the worst-sounding speakers on the market; absolutely awful.

Here is what a review in Home Theater Review said about them:

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

"lacked refinement and speed"

That is the worst review I have EVER read on ANY speaker! Beware.

IMO the best-sounding speakers for the money are the ones from Focal, PSB, and Monitor Audio.

Whatever you get, make sure the main midrange driver is about 32 inches or so from the floor (at ear level). Bookshelf speakers are not going to sound good sitting on the floor as the picture shows.

If you get bookshelf speakers, spend the money for a set of strong rigid steel stands; not flimsy wood ones.

I would not let this type of opinion stop you from auditioning any brand/make/model of speaker. Listen to as many speakers as you can before making a purchase. When you do listen to different setups make sure you are listening to a setup much like you will have in your house. If surrounds are not going to be a part of your setup, have those turned off. Do your best to audition the speakers with the same size sub as yours.

Be careful with fourms such as AVS, it is very easy to get outside of your budget. STICK to your budget. Use these fourms to maximize your budget. Also, take a good look at matching center speakers(for future purchase) price, size, availability.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music/0_100#post_24492608

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music#post_24492035

if I had bookshelf speakers...since they are smaller, wouldn't they sound wimpier and not fill up the room very well?
That's the assumption commonly made by those who assume that there is an inherent benefit to floor standers. That assumption is incorrect.

Floor standers have exactly one advantage over book shelves, and that's better low frequency response. That advantage disappears if you have subs, because then the floor standers aren't working in the lows anyway.

As to whether floor standers without subs are preferable to bookshelves with subs, the simple answer is no. In terms of low frequency extension and output the average floor stander falls well short of the average sub. So short that for serious HT use most floor stander users have to use subs anyway. More important is the issue of placement. For best results sources that operate above 100Hz and those that operate below 100H, ie, mains versus subs, will almost never work best sharing the same foot print. With floor standers putting the high and low frequency sources each where they work the best isn't an option.

I agree.  I think it is generally a waste of money to go with floorstanding speakers when one is going to have a subwoofer anyway.  The times when it is not a waste are generally at the cheap end of things, in cases where the floorstanding speakers cost no more than the cost of a pair of speaker stands over the cost of the comparable bookshelf speakers.

Occasionally, one encounters someone who claims that they like to listen to music without the subwoofer and just use their tower speakers, because they say the bass is too "boomy" with the subwoofer on.  Typically, when one checks into the matter, one finds that the person has boosted the subwoofer up well above the proper setting for matching the main speakers, because the person likes boomy bass with movies.  Of course, the proper solution is to set the subwoofer level properly for the main speakers and then one will get the right amount of bass with one's music, and it will go as deep as the subwoofer can go, if the music requires it.

Also, many times people do not compare things properly, as they compare expensive towers with cheap bookshelf speakers from the same line.  The thing is, instead of spending that extra money on towers, one could spend the extra money on a higher line of bookshelf speakers, thus getting better sound for the same price.  If you are looking at towers for $1000, the proper thing to do is to compare with bookshelf speakers for $1000.  Or, to be more exact, one should compare speakers for the front three positions at the same total price to decide which is best, as the center should match the front right and left speakers (ideally, they will all be identical speakers). 

So, for people who properly set up their gear, bookshelf speakers are a smart choice when there will be a subwoofer.

Reactions: jsgrise

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music#post_24494412

Occasionally, one encounters someone who claims that they like to listen to music without the subwoofer and just use their tower speakers, because they say the bass is too "boomy" with the subwoofer on.  
+1. If a sub is boomy with music it's boomy with everything. You just might not think so with movies, as it's not as obvious with them when the sub is out of whack. Besides, most of what's there in the extreme lows with movies comes from the LFE track. Two channel music doesn't have an LFE track. The only change I make with music versus movies is to turn off the surround processing with music. It sounds perfect.

Reactions: jsgrise

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thanks for the info!

I hadn't realized that putting the speakers "in" the niche with the TV would hurt the sound quality.  what if the speaker is "in" the niche but not recessed back in it..but flush with the wall?

here is another question - what about "in ceiling" speakers?  what if I wanted to go up into my attic and run speaker wire, and install speakers in the ceiling??  how do those speakers compare to good bookshelf or floor standing speakers?  I always thought they wouidl stink, but the only systems I"ve heard like this have been low level cheap speakers my neighbor put in his house... it looks very clean but he used inexpensive speakers.. its fine for movies...but i dont know how it woudl sound for music...

are there good in ceiling speakers that would sound as good as a great set of floor standers or bookshelfs?  then I just need a nice sub to put in the room somewhere to add the bass??  if i Put spekers into my ceiling - it woudl certainly be a clean looking install and I could put them where they need to be and the niche shape/etc woudl be a non issue...

if I went with floor standers or bookshelf spekers - and I put them IN the niche.. hwere is anothe questions...is the problem with having them in the niche because the rear of the speaker is not up against a flat wall, and it will echo in the niche...or is it only an issue if the speaker is RECESSED back in the niche?  what if I had the speakers in the nice.. BUT up at the very front of it so they were flush with the outer wall.. or just barely protruding from the niche.. woudl that help?  or do I need htem in front of a flat wall to sound right?

related question is this - would a newbie like me really notice?  I am running the TV speakes right now..with my SW-8 just taking analog input from my tv output...  i've been listenign to that for a while and I'm sick of it.. I recognize that it sucks..which is why I am here..but I am also on a budgt, and looking for big "bang for the buck".  like many things in life - I have found that a modest investment will yield BIG results..  and then to get even MORE results, requires muc mor than a modest investment...  like if I were to spend $1000 for a receiver, left/right/center and just ran my existing 8" sub... it woudl probably sound 1000% better than now.  and probably i'd love it...  but to some of you guys who are hardcore into this and know way more than me.. you woudl still hear things you don't lke and find it lacking...but to get much much better sound, might cost mucn more than another $1000..it might cost a few thousand.. I don't know...  but generally... the diminshign returns thing seems to be true with many hobbies..

It's good to know that I don't *have* to get floor standing speakes and coudl do bookshelf speakers.  My existing sub is ok but probably NOT as good as it coudl be.  it is an SW-8 that has a 60-80 W amp.. I forget the exact power level.. it sounds decent but for a room as large as mine I'm sure it is on the small side. if i had a floor stadning speaker that had bigger drivers.. it might help with the bass.

i do like bass in my music.  so I suspect that I woudl probably tend to like the larger floor speakers that have better midrange vs bookshelf speakers.. but i will need to go to a stereo shop and demo stuff. 

i want things to be functional, but i also want them to be aesthetic.  I mean I can always kep the speakers pushed into the niche and then pull them out if I really want it to sound "better".  if I have speakers sticking out all the time, my wife wont' like how it looks and yes.. my 3 kids will knock them over and break them.  ;)

the width of my entertaiment center limits me somewhat with how wide of a speaker I can use.. one option woudl be to push the cabinet over to one side.. say toward the fireplace..and turn the 8" PER side gap into a 16" gap on one side and no gap on the other side.. it might look weird being off center..but I coudl put ONE bigger speaker alone side the cabinet.. and ten run the second front left speaker way over to the far far left of the room to the left of my fireplace..that would separte the speakers further apart as well..and allow me to run bigger/wider speakers.  not sure how the wifey willlike it being "off center" in the niche...  

I could always change out the tv stand in the future to get something slightly narrower that allows for wider speaker.

if I was looking to spend about $300 for a pair of speakers... and was lookign at used ones - would it make a difference going bookshelf vs floor standing?  if I got bookshelf speakers coudl i just sit them on top of the cabinet or do they need to be on stands up in the air?  

thanks for all the info.  sorry I know so little...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

if I ever spent the money to do a "built in" in my media niche.... i could have custom spaces made to house speakers.. either floor standers OR bookshelf speakers.. OR are those built in entertainment centers  horrible for sound quality???  since you would have little "cubbies" for speakers.. i'm wondering if you wind up with the same problem as having the speakers back inside the media niche?  they are in a hole essentially and don't work right?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music/0_100#post_24495092

I hadn't realized that putting the speakers "in" the niche with the TV would hurt the sound quality.  what if the speaker is "in" the niche but not recessed back in it..but flush with the wall?

That would be much better than further back.  Further back, and you will likely have sound bouncing off of the sides of the niche, which would not be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music/0_100#post_24495092

here is another question - what about "in ceiling" speakers?  what if I wanted to go up into my attic and run speaker wire, and install speakers in the ceiling??  how do those speakers compare to good bookshelf or floor standing speakers?  I always thought they wouidl stink, but the only systems I"ve heard like this have been low level cheap speakers my neighbor put in his house... it looks very clean but he used inexpensive speakers.. its fine for movies...but i dont know how it woudl sound for music...

A basic problem with in-ceiling speakers is that, typically, a speaker sounds best when the tweeter is at or near ear level.  So that will be way off with in-ceiling speakers.  And although many are made to angle the tweeter to aim it at you, that is not a good substitute, because if you shift slightly forward or back in your seat, the tweeter will no longer be aimed at your ears (even if you could get it right for your "normal" position), changing the effective "height" of the speakers.  So, they are never an ideal choice, and are done to be unobtrusive, not to give the best sound.

Quote:

i do like bass in my music.  so I suspect that I woudl probably tend to like the larger floor speakers that have better midrange vs bookshelf speakers.. but i will need to go to a stereo shop and demo stuff. 

With speaker lines that are "voice matched", the bookshelf speaker and the tower speaker will have the same or nearly the same midrange.  The tower speaker gives you deeper bass, not necessarily anything else.  Since you will use a subwoofer, it is not necessary or particularly helpful.

Quote:

if I was looking to spend about $300 for a pair of speakers... and was lookign at used ones - would it make a difference going bookshelf vs floor standing?  ...

With used, it all depends on what you happen to find in your area.  Normally, here is the sort of thing to expect when comparing bookshelf speakers with tower speakers:

Polk Audio Monitor 50 Series II BLACK Tower Speakers [NEW/PAIR]

RTi4 CHERRY Bookshelf Speakers Polk Audio [NEW/PAIR]

Here you can look at the specifications:

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/monitor50

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rti4

Notice, the tower speakers are a little more money, but the price is close.  The bookshelf speakers, though, are from a higher line, and will sound better for the frequencies they cover.  So you will get better midrange and better treble for less money (excluding the cost of speaker stands, if needed, though these bookshelf speakers can be wall-mounted).  You give up a little bass, but that will not matter if you use a subwoofer and proper bass management.  Assuming that the specifications are exactly correct, with enough power, you could get slightly more volume from the tower speakers, but a very insignificant difference (0.8dB, which would be barely detectable).  You also get a much nicer finish on the bookshelf speakers in this instance, though that obviously is not going to make any difference for how the system sounds.

In my opinion, it would make a lot more sense to buy the bookshelf speakers.

But, again, if you are looking at used, it will all depend on what you happen to find, and the particular deals available in your area.  It might turn out that you can get a great deal on floorstanding speakers, but normally, with a subwoofer, you get more for your money with bookshelf speakers, because you are not wasting money on bass capability that you are not going to need due to using a subwoofer.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
I hadn't realized that putting the speakers "in" the niche with the TV would hurt the sound quality. what if the speaker is "in" the niche but not recessed back in it..but flush with the wall?
My second ever post in AVS. That niche is there because the homebuilder wanted to appeal to the main decision-maker in most families: the wife or female significant other. Certainly not to desparage all of the female gender, but I think it's fair to say that many, many of them like electronics to be hidden away. To be fair, I know some men who don't want to see that stuff, either. For the homebuilder, having a special little cubbyhole where the TV can be semi-hidden is a selling point. The fact that the TV may not even fit in there and that it may be deleterious to the sound and picture is utterly irrelevant to the builder. I'll leave it to you to determine if you will be allowed to place your gear where it sounds and looks best, but that cute cubbyhole won't be it.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Speakers need room to breathe, so stuffing them into a cabinet of any kind is a bad idea. Having the speakers in the ceiling will lessen the quality of the sound by a great amount, so that is not the preferred solution. Speakers at the edge of the cubby is a better solution, although not the best solution. Thinking out of the box, there are articulating wall mounts for televisions that you could use for your speakers. Mount them inside the cubby against the inside walls, far enough that when retracted, the speakers sit inside the cubby, but when extended, can be pulled out of the cubby and positioned to get the best response. That will give you the best of both worlds, speakers that sit inside the cubby when not in use and the best sound when they are extended out for use. If you paint the brackets the same color as the room, they will be unobtrusive.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mount--Articulating-Bracket-Monitor-Displays/dp/B00898482G/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395099495&sr=1-19&keywords=articulating+arm+mount

Whether floorstanders or bookshelves, sitting in the cubby will degrade the sound, especially if they have rear ports.

As to speakers, for $300 total, I would suggest you forgo the floorstanders and spend the money on bookshelves. You will get better quality speakers for your money, but you will have to wait until you can afford a good sub to really get quality bass. Unfortunately, all the solutions I suggested are more expensive than your budget, so perhaps others could give you some speaker alternatives. If it were me, I would wait and save up so I could invest in a better solution.

One other thing, how much are you budgeting for the receiver? Perhaps some of that can be put into the speakers? You'll never regret spending more on the speakers and less on the receiver. Since you will be starting with only a two channel system, it might even be wise to start with an old stereo receiver off ebay or craigslist for $40, or so ... you can find some good stuff used .. Marantz, denon, yamaha ... would all be good choices in the used world.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music#post_24495679

As to speakers, for $300 total, I would suggest you forgo the center channel and spend the money on just the L and R channel. Unfortunately, all the solutions I suggested are more expensive than that, so perhaps others could give you some alternatives. If it were me, I would wait and save up so I could invest in a better solution.

Agreed.

Better to take your time and build it up starting with the left/right since music is your main priority.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music#post_24496718

If you like music, and you can come up with $470 - then I would for real

look into the MB Quart Alexxa speakers.
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24

Looks amazing...

...I've never seen there home speakers, but I have a pair of their coax in my car doors

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1522899/floorstanding-vs-bookshelf-speakers-is-one-better-for-ht-or-music#post_24496718

If you like music, and you can come up with $470 - then I would for real

look into the MB Quart Alexxa speakers.
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24

wow... that's quite a savings...  regularly $1300!! but they are $400 each... I doubt I will start out spending $800/pair for my main front speakers.. maybe eventually but not right now.

I really appreciate all the input I"m getting.  when I first started thinking about doing a nice stereo in my main family room I had no clue what to get.  I originally was thinking in ceiling speakers would be nice..but then wanted something nicer like bookshelf or floor standing speakers...  now I know that the ceiling stuff is not the way to go.  besides, if i ever moved I can't take those with me.  :)

I'm thinking of getting something nice but economical form my fronts... and if I get really into it and want to upgrade, I can move the fronts to the rears as surrounds and then upgrade to better more $$ fronts.  i also will need a new sub at some point, but for now will try to make do with my smallish SW-8.

i'm hoping that if I get a receiver it will help too.  i'm looking at entry level stuff... i even checked out what they had at my local costco.... which actually had two units.. a yamaha and sony.. both in the $400 price range... 7.1 setups.

i will probably try to get a set of speakers off CL for my first set.. i'll find a set that are hooked up that I can demo. something not too old that is a good deal.  not sure now if I want bookshelf or floors... i'll have to start looking online and see what I can find.

i also want to mount my TV up on a wall mount.  i can get those for under $200.  y TV is an older plasma.. still works great. it's a Panasonic TH-PZ58700U...  old but in it's day it was nice.  it is about 140 lbs!  heavy sucker.  it still works..when it finally craps out i'm going larger... 60-70" for sure!

does it matter a lot if the fronts and center are "matched' ? 

on the Klipsch forum I was being told that if I get klispch fronts, i should try to get the matching center...  is that a big deal?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts