AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but I couldn't find a thread that really answered my questions. Plus, I'm a complete noob.

My room is 13x11 with 8 ft. ceiling. Would floorstanders or bookshelfs be overkill with sound and I should just go with satelllites?

Also I see that most setups are either floorstanding with bookshelfs for surrounds or complete bookshelfs or complete satellites. What about floorstanding for L and R but satellites for surround?

I'm looking at upgrading to the Onkyo 605 and I'm trying to decide on speakers to match. I have a Samsung HT-X50 right now and the speakers are horrible. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
satellites, by design, usually have very limited frequency response. For the surround channels that is OK, because they usually carry limited audio information. For your fronts, L-C-R, you need speakers with full range frequency response...with the low end helped out with a subwoofer.

Bookshelf vs. floorstanding is a personal option. If you are going to have to mount the bookshelf units on stands anyway, then consider floorstanding speakers. Floorstanding speakers give you the option for more actual drivers, but for a room with limited space, that may not be a great benefit unless you think a larger room may be in the future plans. The Onkyo 605 is a very capable a/v receiver....it would be a shame to hobble it with less than adequate speakers. I personally like the 1/3 - 2/3rds rule......1/3 of your budget on the receiver, 2/3rds on the speakers. It's the speakers you actually hear, so inadequate speakers can ruin the final experience, even with a good receiver.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
The problem with the very small satellites is that they don't go very deep in bass frequencies, so the crossover setting (the frequency that the sub takes over) has to be set very high, which means you start to notice where the sub is located. You want the sub to work below 80Hz typically, but using typical satellites, you have to use a crossover of 100Hz or more which isn't ideal. That's why choosing a small bookshelf speaker is often a lot better sounding than those Bose-cube-like satellites. There are speakers that are on the borderline, slightly larger than a cube-satellite but not as big as other bookshelf speakers. For example, the ERA DESIGN D4 speaker ($600/pr) is very compact, can be hung on the wall, but has the bass response of a larger speaker.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As the others have said (and I completely agree) Satellites are good for surrounds as not as much information is sent to the rears or surrounds.

I am in a very similar situation as you and I will be putting some floor standers (KEF iQ5/iQ7) and bookshelves as the surrounds. Personally given my room doesnt necessarily need floor standing speakers in the front, but I don't plan on living in a condo forever

I don't think it would be overkill at all. As stated, as long as you can get front speakers with a big enough range you won't be disappointed.

Not to turn this into a speaker commercial, but I demoed the KEF line and they are superb! you can pick up a set of bookshelves (iQ3) for under 400, and a pair of floor standing (iQ5) for under 600.

Hope that helped, more than confused

Joel

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm in the same quandry about purchasing eD... do I get the floorstanding towers or the regular 6T6 MTM? I have the same size room (10x13x8) and I'm thinking the towers are overkill for me, especially since I have a SVS plus/2 for the really low's

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Depends on where you keep the volume. I'd go floorstanders no question.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I use floorstanders in a room 10.5D x17L x 8H. The frontstage has to be on a Depth wall and spacing is tight. Luckily for me the mains are front ported. Room EQ also helps tremendously with these kinds of space situations.

If you like a fuller sound, a decent floorstander with a true mid-range is hard to beat. I understand the love for monitors/bookshelfs but will always use Floorstanders. My wife agrees soundwise as well and prefers the more furniture look of a full cabinet as opposed to the tech look of a speaker/stand combo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I'm looking at the Polk Monitor 50's for floorstanders. It sounds like floorstanding is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a Polk RM20 setup (Rm101 for (4) surrounds, Rm201 for FR and FL, and RM202 for Center) and I am expecting tomorrow a Cadence CSX-15 sub. I'm hoping I'll be doing OK and won't be missing much of the frequencies.

I'm happy with my speakers but they do sound a little tinny sometimes.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a room thats roughly the same size as yours. Floorstanders for sure, for the fronts. I have bookshelfs in the back and surrounds on the sides (7.1). I have Athena Audition Series Floor standers but they are damn near impossible for me to find anymore...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts