Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey !

How are you all...

I plan on getting mutiple Lutron Grafik Eye 3106's for my theater, and I plan on having 4 poster lightboxes each with about 4 florescent lights and each with I fiber optic illuminator/motor color wheel. I plan on having the lighting for the posterboxes on an individual zone on the grafik Eye.

What is the performance of florescent dimming?? It seems to me that a florescent bulbs just "power up" Do I need to buy specific bulbs?

Also, can I actually dim a fiber optic illuminator?? With the grafik eye???

Thanks for your time !

·
Registered
281 Posts
From my experience, the dimmers buzz like crazy and they don't have a lot of turndown (maybe about 30% or 50% brightness). I'd definitely check on these two things before I bought.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Standard Florescent fixtures cannot be dimmed. A special ballast is required that is considerably more expensive than a standard ballast.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Lutron ( www.lutron.com ) has dimming ballasts for fluorescent fixtures (including compact). Fluorescent can be dimmed to 1% and, with good quality ballasts, never a hum or buzz.

An advantage to fluorescent is the lamps do not change color as they are dimmed (as it true of filament type lamps). You can purchase high CRI 6500K fluorescent lamps for your theater.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the intel Dennis!!

But I am still wondering about dimming a fiber optic illumintor!! I don't mind if the motor for the color wheel gets dimmed as well, just so long as it won't ruin it. :)

Also Dennis, I don't know if you remember my idea for the "Doors of Moria" theater entrance a while back, but I am wondering if I could use the Grafik Eye in that project as well,

Is the a motion detector for use with the grafik eye?

Let's say it works like this. Have all the lighting for the Door of Moria on one-two Grafik Eye zones. My HT is upstairs. When guests get halfway up the stairs, a motion detector tells the grafik Eye to "Dim up to full 1 of the fiber optic illumintors for the door designs, so that when guests get to the top of the stairs, only the anvil and stars on the Moria doors is lit, then as they approach the door more closely, a second motion detector tells thje Grafik Eye to dim up to full the other illuminators so when they get up to the door, the rest of the design dimms up and begins to color shift as the color wheel motors ramp up.

What is the cheapest way of doing this??? Maybe I should invest in a little x-10 research??? Your opinions are highly appreciated guys!!!

Thanks for reading!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.