AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a glass display case to use as a candy counter (got it used from a liquidation place). It came with a florescent light inside and a conduit that carries the power cord for about 4'. At the end instead of their being a switch, or a receptacle plug there is nothing..just three wires. They are red, blue and green.

I assume 2 of the wires are for my AC current and one is a ground. I got a plug and tried hooking it up with every combination of wires, but it would not power on. I checked the bulb (it's about 24" long) and it appears fairly new with no black burnt areas so I think the bulb is fine.

Before I gut the cabinet and replace the light with a new one...am I missing something or does anyone have any insight? Even without the light on it looks pretty cool and adds a nice touch to my theater.

· Registered
47 Posts
Check for a bad starter (small round cylinder like a 35mm film canister) or the ballast (black box half the size of a brick) is shot. Both are hard to troubleshoot without just replacing to see if it works. Check the bulb in another working fixture. They don't always blacken when burnt out.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to get another bulb to try. Are there any visible ways to see if the starter or ballast are shot?

· Registered
3,729 Posts
I recently for another project bought a 15" tube + mounting to directly plug into a power outlet from Lowes - got me $12 I think. Id I were you I would do as suggested and replace the whole thing - I can't imagine it costing more than $25.

- Rick

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might as well buy a new one...I hate admitting defeat. The tricky part will be mounting it, but I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the replies!

· Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for your problems.

Maybe as you install the new one as you take off the old one, You will

know exactly how it goes on.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I think replacing an old light non-working light with a new one is definitely an 'upgrade'!

Jamesman,

The one in there now seems to be a custom fixture so there is pretty much no hope that the cheapest one I find at Wal-Mart will fit the same. I'll just have to tear the old one out and try to secure it without drilling holes through it (they would stick out the front and look ugly). Hopefully a solution will present itself..otherwise it's epoxy or duct tape. ;)

I should have some time tonight (before my friends come over to watch a movie) so I'll give it a try. I was just hoping for a quick fix, but I should know better by now. :)

· Registered
42 Posts
Yes it pretty much is a custom fit.

A friend of mine had and sold one something like you have, Due to moving.

You'd be surprise how many times I've kicked myself for not taking it.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put in my new cheap light...and it lights up great! I will update my pics a bit later this week.

I was able to use one screw hole to hold up one and...and I used epoxy to hold up the other end. My friends loved it and were polite enough to put money in the piggy bank when they raided it. ;)

· Registered
42 Posts
Good for you. I know you were proud of your handi work.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! Check it out in my gallery now! My new popcorn popper is sitting on top of it now too.

· Registered
47 Posts
SWEET! Literally.

· Registered
42 Posts
WOW I felt my mouth fall open Very Nice.

The popcorn popper sets it off, You did a splendid job.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot for the compliments!! :)

The hardest part now will be not eating all the chocolate bars!!!

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am putting up a price list soon..and I will really mean it! You're right it would get expensive! I don't want to profit from it..I just wanna keep it stocked.

I will have free popcron tho...which is a LOT more that I can say for real theaters.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.