AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finding with our viewing habits that the amount we are paying for with our Verizon Fios service is not justified, especially with the box rental fees. Interested in “cutting the cord”.
Would like the forum opinion on what antenna would work best for our location. We have a colonial, but only interested in placing it in our attic.

Here is the link to our location:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f008d0c20e8e

P.S: I was also thinking of making this DIY antenna to try out. Would this be a good experiment, or am I wasting my time?

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

I thank you in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Finding with our viewing habits that the amount we are paying for with our Verizon Fios service is not justified, especially with the box rental fees. Interested in “cutting the cord”.
Would like the forum opinion on what antenna would work best for our location. We have a colonial, but only interested in placing it in our attic.

Here is the link to our location:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f008d0c20e8e

P.S: I was also thinking of making this DIY antenna to try out. Would this be a good experiment, or am I wasting my time?

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

I thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Which of the stations on your TV Fool report are the "must haves" for you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would like to have the popular standards: CBS, NBC, Fox & ABC. If I had to chose only one, I think we watch NBC the most.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
that home made uhf antenna is not going to help you with the vhf channels (ABC, WPIX, WNET) out of the Empire State Building. isnt South Mountain Reservation right in the path of you and NYC? is it at higher elevation than you?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Would like to have the popular standards: CBS, NBC, Fox & ABC. If I had to chose only one, I think we watch NBC the most.

Your local stations at 91 degrees are of moderate strength but are 2 edge paths. This can make things tricky. OTOH they're only 22 miles away and a typical terrain plot doesn't have any major mountains blocking the signals. Looks like the signals just clip the top of two mountains.

I wouldn't count on an attic antenna working very well with 2 edge signals and I can't recommend any antenna to mount in the attic. 2 edge signals often have multipath issues and an attic makes the situation worse.

If you were willing to put an antenna outside high enough to clear the local trees and buildings I could virtually guarantee good reception.

If you want to experiment with an attic antenna I'd start with a 91XG for UHF and see what you get. (Buy from a place with a return policy.) Who knows, maybe you'll be lucky. If that happens you can add a VHF antenna. I would not buy a preamp for any initial tests. If it's going to work you should be able to receive most of the UHF stations using 50' of coax. If you receive no or few stations at 91 degrees then a preamp is not going to make them all 100%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your local stations at 91 degrees are of moderate strength but are 2 edge paths. This can make things tricky. OTOH they're only 22 miles away and a typical terrain plot doesn't have any major mountains blocking the signals. Looks like the signals just clip the top of two mountains.

I wouldn't count on an attic antenna working very well with 2 edge signals and I can't recommend any antenna to mount in the attic. 2 edge signals often have multipath issues and an attic makes the situation worse.

If you were willing to put an antenna outside high enough to clear the local trees and buildings I could virtually guarantee good reception.

If you want to experiment with an attic antenna I'd start with a 91XG for UHF and see what you get. (Buy from a place with a return policy.) Who knows, maybe you'll be lucky. If that happens you can add a VHF antenna. I would not buy a preamp for any initial tests. If it's going to work you should be able to receive most of the UHF stations using 50' of coax. If you receive no or few stations at 91 degrees then a preamp is not going to make them all 100%.
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think of the fact that I have a mountain in the line of sight which would make the signal more challenging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts