AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not being shown in HD here in Cleveland. Kinda bummed, never seen hoops before in HD, and college football on my TV looks dope.

·
Registered
340 Posts
this is the first sporting event i have seen in HD. it is breathtaking!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Network problem.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I don't know if this is just me that's noticing it, but I've seen the same thing with CBS's SEC game coverage before.

As I am watching the game, I am really appreciating the clarity that the HD gives me. However, I also notice sometimes, what seems to be "up-converted" video.

It seems for the wide-angle shots (cameras at the upper seats), they are truly using HD cameras. However, some of the side-court, floor cameras, they seem to just up-converting and transmitting "zoomed" 480i.

Is anybody else noticing this? I can think of a couple of reasons. One would be the cost of HD equipment (maybe they cannot afford to have as many). The other would be that they need separate sets of SD and HD cameras, and that there is not much room for both on the floor.

What do you think?

Hong.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Ahh, back in HD in Detroit :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Man, I don't know what the problem was, but my MITS STB lost ALL audio, even on OTA's. Had to reboot, and now I see that the Terps are back in HD.

Question, is the pixelation (or whatever it's called) typical of an interlaced signal? Really noticeable when the camera is moving fast. Also, does it seem that some of the cameras are not HD. Up close shots facing the basket where the Terps sit seem a little less sharp.

Don't get me wrong though, love seeing college hoops in HD. Wonder if they outfitted the new Comcast center with HD in mind.

Tony

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hongcho, you beat me to the punch:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with you 100% Hong. This is my first taste of any sports in HD, and I should just be grateful for that, but there is always room for improvement! Some of the closeup shots from a certain angle definitely don't look as sharp as others. Is this the case for football games on CBS as well?

·
Registered
979 Posts
At least one of the cameras in use is a 16:9 SD (480i) camera. But the hoop-cam is HD - great perspective!

I also had to reboot my 6000 following the 2:30 network glitch.

Any pixelation you see is mostly MPEG-II artifacts, not so much interlacing.

Gerald C

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Looked great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I said it in the other post, but I'll say it again;

Thank you CBS, the camera's at the ComCast center, and all the other folks that made the game possible.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Oops - I forgot to check. TitanTV showed something else for 11am Pacific Time and then Mich St - KY at 1 in SD.

Looking forward to Armageddon tonight, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.