AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been mentioned before, but I haven't seen it so....

Flourescent lights CAN interfere with your remote control and your UltimateTV! I have had various hard to analyze problems with my remote control and two UTVs. I finally told my wife that none of it made any sense to me and to pay attention to anything that might relate to the remote control problems. Luckily, at about the same time, one of the flourescent lights in the room started to flash and spark a bit. Then she noticed that when she turned the light off, the remote controlled the UTV perfectly. But when the light was on, the UTV responded only intermittently. Sure enough, further testing demonstrated that the flourescent lights were messing up the remote control operation.

For anyone interested in the details, the lights in question were the GE spiral variety. We have been using them in place of incandescent bulbs in our ceiling fans to lower heat, reduce electrical usage, lengthen lightbulb life, and because I like flourescent light better than incandescent light. So replacing the spiral bulbs with incandescent bulbs was easy. Luckily we don't have the 4 foot long flourescent bulbs in the same locations as the UltimateTV's (just in the kitchen) or we wouldn't be able to replace them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is a known problem with IR remotes. In fact, if you read the fine print on the energy saving flourescent bulbs like you have, you'll see it says it can interfere with remotes. Bummer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Great.... hope this ends your long dilemma with your UTV remotes.

It has been an issue a time or two but never earmarked to one thing or another.

Thanks for shedding some light on the issue. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Different bulbs & vendors have different results. The more expensive dimmable CFs from TCP have a much lower THD (total harmonic distortion), so I believe they would interfere less with infrared. However, I have not done side by side testing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have one of the bulbs in question but it's in a floor lamp with a lamp shade. No problems.. but perhaps if I removed the shade?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are filters for fluorescent and cf interference... check out xantech.com. They have one that I believe is called a SUN490 or something like that.... Theres are made to fit over their IR receivers but I see no reason why you couldn't clear doublestick tape it over the UTV receiver.

AeM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.