AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning on dumping cable/Sat and going to an OTA/HTPC set-up. The problem is I have no idea about antennas so I don't know exactly what I am looking for. A roof-top antenna is out of the question according to my wife so I will have to stick with an attic mounted one. I just need some help on what to get exactly. Here is my output from TVFool. TIA.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e744989038c97

·
Registered
948 Posts
You will need VHF-high capability for PBS and NBC. This means an antenna that gets RF channels 7-69. Winegard and Antennacraft have various sizes of these (the 769 and HBU series, respectively) ranging from $50-$150. They are 3-4 feet wide, and from 5 to 14 feet long. Since your signals levels are a bit tepid, I would get one of the larger models.

You should not unfold elements or assemble boom sections until after you get it stuffed into the attic. Once you get it assembled, aim it south-southwest (you may have to aim roughly first, then assemble, depending on your attic.) You can just hang it from the rafters with string or fishing line (don't use metal wire). Attach the strings to the boom, not the elements.

If you are using splitters to divide the signal to a number of TVs, you might need an amplifier. The Channel Master 7777 is a good choice, as your stations are not so strong as to cause overload.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Try it without, and see if it gets the stations you want reliably. If not, you can always add the preamp later.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I found an indoor/outdoor I forgot I had from Radio Shack. So I just plugged it into the 2nd line from my old D* DVR, sat it on the front porch and get everything I need except for my local NBC. I figured that would happen though. Gives me some hope for when I get a bigger antenna.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
You might want to have a serious talk with your wife....those are some pretty low RF levels, and they'll be lots lower inside the attic.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/20913141

You might want to have a serious talk with your wife....those are some pretty low RF levels, and they'll be lots lower inside the attic.

You know I'm probably just going to stick what I have. It looks like the few shows I watch on NBC are on Hulu Plus and I was planning on using that as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I'm bringing up an old thread of mine because I've been given the OK to get a rooftop antenna. What would be my best option using my info from my OP. I'm using a HDHomeRun as my tuner, if that makes a difference. I was looking at the CM4228 but it is a little out of my price range. Is there anything else with similar performance for a lower cost?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I would go to Dow Electronics or Fry's and get a Winegard 7696 HiVHF/UHF combo antenna and a CM7777 preamp. The 4228 is also sold at Dow and Fry's, but may not be reliable for NBC which is on RF10, and that antenna is optimized for UHF and not guaranteed for VHF at 40 miles. But I have been told the 4228 works well for WXIA, but not sure at your distance. And the Antennacraft HBU33 is sold at Radioshack and should also work well. Either way, you should have good results for ABC, as WSB has several translators nearby.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The 4228 works for channel 10, but may be iffy, given the signal strength on that TVFool.

The 7696 is a good suggestion, but the 7697 (if you can find one) is only slightly longer and has more gain on channel 10, than the 7696.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. How hard is the general installation of these? I've never installed an antenna before so I called a local installer and he will do everything for $250 including the cost of the antenna, which is a CM4228. No amp included, but he doesn't think I will need one. What do you guys think about that price? I think I could do it myself but I would need to rent a ladder and hope I don't screw it up somehow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.