AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up my first HT. Based on my budget constraints (~$300), I have narrowed down my speaker configuration to either the Acoustic Research HC6, or the Fluance AV-HTB with a Dayton sub. Amplifier will be the Panny XR55.

Any advice or feedback as to which setup will get me the best sound for the dollar would be appreciated. I am looking for mostly good HT sound (movies, etc) with some occasional music listening. The room is appproximately 15 x 20.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I own and am very happy with the SX-HTB set thus far, despite not having broken them (and my Panny XR-50) in "fully" (100+ hours) yet.

I haven't heard the AV-HTB, but many vouch for its value as well, so I doubt you can go wrong with it. My SX-HTB more than fills my 13' x 21' room quite well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Eagles05,

Although I'm a happy owner of the HC5 system, and have listened to the HC6 (sounds great for the money BTW)...I'd have to say that you could get more detail with the AV-HTB instead...these feature a 6.5" woofer and the 4" midrange as opposed to HC6s 3.5" mids only...the down side of the AV-HTB is the lack of a subwoofer in the package but you mentioned you are willing to buy one on the side.

However, I also have to mention that the AR-HC6 standalone subwoofer is AWESOME! It is way better than other subwoofers in the market that are sold separately but then again, the mids are smaller in the HC6 than in the AV-HTB...

Tough decision for me since i'm a AR owner....but I'd go with the Fluance set just because of the size of the mids (In fact, you'll find forum members that agree that your fronts shouldn't have mids smaller than 5.25"!!!). Is just a sound decision =)

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.