AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looking closely at these:

http://fluance.com/product/Fluance_XLBP_Wide_Dispersion_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Speakers_dark_walnut.eng-131.html

or

http://fluance.com/product/AVBP2_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Satellite_Speakers.eng-79.html

I am going to use bipole due to asthetics in our main living room.  These look like a decent option given the low price, and since they are only surrounds.  The bigger ones claim FR down to 60 Hz, but the smaller ones will be less obtrusive and might still work ok?

Wondering how these would sound if I mounted them about 6 feet high on the walls versus at ear level.  Mounting them lower might not be an option.  They would be directly to the left and right of the MLP.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeme  /t/1521736/fluance-bipole-surrounds-opinions-and-mounting#post_24463773

I'll let you know how mine work when they get here I guess. Xlbp on the way
Excellent, curious to hear your thoughts.  I can't decide between the large and small.  The larger ones are appealing as they play down to 80 Hz, and the dark walnut actually matches some of the trim in my house.  But the smaller size is appealing on the others, the trade off being that they only play down to 120Hz or so.

·
Banned
780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1521736/fluance-bipole-surrounds-opinions-and-mounting#post_24464568

Excellent, curious to hear your thoughts.  I can't decide between the large and small.  The larger ones are appealing as they play down to 80 Hz, and the dark walnut actually matches some of the trim in my house.  But the smaller size is appealing on the others, the trade off being that they only play down to 120Hz or so.

I know for me, size matters not but the sound is what is important. I have polk rti8 and csia6 up front with blackstone tl2 speakers as heights and surrounds and wanted to try something different. Plus i can't justify the cost of the polk fx speakers to myself when these are less than half the price.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Check out the last parts by me in the polk speaker thread or my pictures. I like these speakers.

I have them crossed at 60hz, they really seem to be able to keep up with the rti8 up front quite a bit better than the blackstone tl2 satellites i was using and as a bonus the sound is much more full. I can sit on one side of the sofa or the other with nearly the same effect as in the "sweet spot". When i get my second row set up I think these will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I mounted them at around 6ft in my theater. I think they sound great...especially for the price.

Reactions: pokeme

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a pair of the smaller ones (AVBP2) - had them up and running for about 1.5 years now - the larger ones didn't exist when I bought mine.

I purchased these to use as side surrounds as I wanted a fuller effect than just direct/monopole speakers. I was looking for a budget option and these fit the bill. The smaller ones are Black Ash and they actually match my Boston setup up perfectly. I've been really happy with the performance of these.

But, now I've just seen that the XLBP's are available in Dark Walnut (when they originally came out they only had the lighter color). 5 1/4 woofers rather than 4" on the AVBP. Hmmmm.... Would be really interested to know if anyone has upgraded from the AVBP to the the XLBP, or even compared them. Where I use them as side surrounds, I'm wondering if the lower frequency response (60Hz vs. 130Hz) might make my experience better?

Plus, I want to expand to a 9.2 in my main room (I'm currently running 7.1 with front height/presence speakers), by adding speakers in the rear. If using one set of each, I wonder if it would be better to go with the XLBP in the back and the AVBP on the side, or vice versa. Decisions, decisions.

Really like the price and they are available at Shop.ca as well, where I have some credits and can get some further discount right now paying with Paypal. Final price would like be just about what I paid for the AVBP's, which I thought was great at the time.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I originally ordered the small ones but my bank declined the charge due to being out of the country.  Just got around to reordering and decided to go with the larger ones.  I like that they play to 60Hz since i have my crossover to the subs set at 80Hz.  And its only $80 difference.  Did not check the thread before I ordered, but the coupon code listed works, so I sent an email to try to get the discount applied.  Thanks for the code(I hope they honor it ).

I will post impressions when I get them set up.  I currently do not have surrrounds, just running 3.2 for the last 6 months or so.  Many years ago, I had small teacup surrounds so I am hopeful these will be solid performers.

Reactions: pokeme

·
Banned
780 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will like the results. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the relatively low sensitivity so it's a poor match to the tempest 12 I'm running up front. I don't mean audibly, it's just now I have the power amp running my surrounds so they can keep up to the avr driven tempests.

·
Banned
780 Posts
You really can't go wrong for the price. They provide a very immersive sound. Great if you "only"have 5.1 or no space for more.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah this is our main living room so 5.2 is all she wrote....no plans to go with 7 or 9 or 27 channels with height width depth diagonals and whatever else is going on now.  Sounds darn good with 3.2, and the room is 17x16.5 so I think using the bipoles as side surrounds will fill the room pretty well.

Curious as to how the bipoles will sound...on one hand I can see it providing a spacious sound but wondering how it will due for effects which should be very directional.

On another note, my Hsu LCR are rocking pretty good, have been very happy with them and have not had the slightest thought about ever needing to upgrade or improve them.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well these speakers arrived today. Too big and obtrusive for my purposes. I wanted to be able to make them work but looks like I will be looking for a very small satellite solution.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ordered a pair of the XLBP's yesterday in the dark walnut color. Can hardly wait for these to arrive. I think they will be awesome. I ordered them through a Canadian shopping site that carried them, applied a few discounts and also used a rebate website, and a Paypal discount - so in the end they will end up only costing me about $125 Canadian (about $118 US) out of pocket, which is pretty darned close to what I originally paid for the smaller ones.
Can't beat that price. If I really like them I might end up ordering a 2nd pair to use in the back when I expand to 9.2

·
Registered
490 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts