AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to the forum and from what I've read, the people here seem to be extremely helpful..

Anyway, downstairs I have a Onkyo TXDS-494 receiver with and Infinity Surround speaker package (US-1 satellites with a sub) that I purchased a couple of years ago. I'm now setting up a home theatre in another room and I've been debating over which of the following setups to go with. While I've been pretty happy with the performance of the system I already have (in spite of the smaller size speakers) I'm looking at getting something better sounding. Here's what I'm debating to go with:

1) Fluance SX-HTB speaker system

The speakers have been getting pretty good reviews...

I've been thinking of pairing these speakers up with the Panasonic SAXR25S digital receiver because I don't have a whole lot of room for components that heat up too much (and my Onkyo can get hot). Only thing is I can't find a single review on the receiver and I'm not sure if the slim-design will drive the speaker set adequately even if it is rated at 100W per channel. I would also be using a Yamaha sub I have sitting around and would probably get a rear center channel from Fluance down the road.

2) The Onkyo HTS-760 HTIB

The system would be going in a den, about 12x14

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have the Fluance SX-HTB speaker's in my basement and they sound and look great. The floor standing speaker's are excellent in that package. They give off a clean sound and the bass is clear and tight.

The surrounds I find average in terms of dispersion of sound. I've played around with the placement and have settled on them at ear level, behind me and facing forward.

I read a professional review a while ago at cnet for the Onkyo sks-ht500 speaker package. The speaker's looked quite promising however the reviewer found a fault with the dispersion of the mains and felt the mains should be placed at ear level.

I like to listen to music so I went with the H/K avr125 because it's known to be a warm receiver. The 6.1 version is the avr325 and there was a glorious review in the June issue of Home Theater Magazine.

My basement is 400 sq.ft. so I felt I needed some size in speakers and some power to back it.

With a 14x12 room you could probably go with the Onkyo SKS-H510 Speaker Package and match it with the Panasonic you mentioned.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have an Onkyo HTS-760, and I am completely satisfied with it. The price was certainly right ($449 at Circuit City), and it has plenty of power with very good clarity (to my ear, anyway...). My theater measures 12' x about 21' with 7'-3" ceilings. I haven't finished construction yet (just finished hanging the drywall - mudding and taping are next on the list), so I haven't done anything alnong the lines of tuning the sound; but as is, the sound seems fine to me - but YMMV.

Dwight

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.