Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to capturing and creating DVD's. DVDRhelp.com doesn't have much info on the flyvideo card and I wanted to ask you guys. What program do you use for capturing? Is there a "how to" guide for the flyvideo?

I'm pretty much lost on this and I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

I have:

P4 2.66

1GB memory

ATI Radeon 7500

Flyvideo2000FM

Nightengale Pro6 Sound card

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone???

I just learned that you can't capture with 720x540 on this. is that true??? isn't that the size I would need for a great capture???

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello :)

I don't own a FlyVideo card so I cannot comment on the capabilites of this card HOWEVER the proper resolution for NTSC DVD is 720x480 whereas PAL DVD is 720x576

I see you are located in NYC so using the NTSC standard you don't ever want to capture larger than 720x480 and in my testing I have done many captures at 640x480 which I then converted to mpeg2 using TMPGEnc and the resulting 720x480 mpeg2 compliant video file has been excellent in quality.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John,

Wouldn't it make sense to have a card that can capture at 720x480 to get the best picture in the first place?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello :)

Well I've done captures at 640x480 and then converted them to DVD spec mpeg2 using TMPGEnc Plus software mpeg2 converter and the resulting file is 720x480 so you would think that the quality would be downgraded but all my stuff comes out looking great.

I have also taken high quality DivX encoded material (at 640x480 which is considered standard full screen resolution for that format) and again it looks great when converted to mpeg2 at 720x480

I'm getting into an area here I don't really know much about but at least as far as DivX goes ... it uses square pixels so full screen is 640x480 yet full screen for DVD mpeg2 is 720x480 but DVD does not use square pixels so that difference in pixel ... what to call it? ... format or allocation etc. is probably why I see no noticeable loss of quality when going from 640x480 to 720x480

Bear in mind also that I only have a 27" standard def TV so maybe there is a slight decrease in quality that I cannot perceive on my equipment or with my eyes etc.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.