AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone, I thought members in this subforum might be interested in the FM & HD Radio (IBOC) Antenna Guide that I have just started working on. More hands on testing to come.

Trying to amalgamate web information on FM reception, HD Radio, and present an exhaustive guide to antennas, filters, traps, and vintage discontinued antennas. Someplace to help newbies see what is out there and learn about reception, FM, and reception issues.

Hope you find it of interest.

EV's Best Top Rated FM & HD Radio Antenna Guide & Reviews

·
Registered
192 Posts
EscapeVelocity, thanks for the info. I have a XDR-F1HD at work that has problems with some HD stations, especially on hot weather days. Looks like the CC Crane FM reflect might be a good next step. My outside window faces the wrong direction to get a decent signal, but maybe this antenna might be a bit more sensitive without being an eyesore.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Traveler62, let me know how that works out. Im just now getting started acquiring antennas for testing and eval...so as to get better information to pass along, rather than just computer simulations and antenna theory.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k6sti, Ive removed images found on your site from the guide. I will be adding original pics as I progress, as well as hands on testing of antennas, plus comparison testing, as well as fleshing out FM Reception issues and general discriptions of antenna types and how they compare to one another. Just getting started.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity /forum/post/16996308

k6sti, Ive removed images found on your site from the guide.

Really. Then why is your HD6065P image identical to that on my site? I took that photo with my own camera. You never asked for permission to use it.

The owner of the Antennacraft FM10 image isn't pleased that you pirated his photo either. I know because unlike you, I contacted him for permission.

Besides being unethical, indiscriminately lifting information from other web sites provides no benefit for readers. In fact, it helps propagate bad ideas. Your site contains many false antenna claims and notions, some made by manufacturers to promote sales and others made out of simple ignorance. Without critical analysis, this crap receives the same showcase as good products and legitimate ideas. Who does that benefit?

Obtain permission for the intellectual property you use, do your technical homework, exercise critical judgment about what to include, and you might eventually have something. Right now all you've got is a pawn shop full of shoddy stolen merchandise.

Brian

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6sti /forum/post/16998462

Right now all you've got is a pawn shop full of shoddy stolen merchandise.

Brian

This is really slanderous on your part. "Shoddy stolen merchandise"? I hope a moderator takes this kind of remark into consideration. No need for this kind of hostility. Opinions are opinions but personal attacks, not needed.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops...missed that one. Done.

My apologies for any wrongdoing I may have done, impinging upon your property or rights. I have removed the requested images.

I dont think that Ive indiscriminately lifted information from other sites. I in fact have linked to other sites with good information and quoted them. That is how hyperlinking on the web works. Its part of what makes the web great. Its also how people write books, they dont have to ask permission to reference other peoples work. They do have to give credit where credit is due....as I have done. I think this has been hashed out long ago...where the good of society...the advancement of humanity's knowledge was weighed against the rights of the individual and it was found that a balance was neccessary to preserve both. Nowhere in my guid have I plagerized anywone, Ive quoted and given link backs and credit, analogous to footnoting.

There is nothing unethical about what I have done so far. The images may be an issue however they were immediately removed upon request.

In fact a list of links of good information is indeed beneficial to readers. Ive used them myself when researching. Other people have researched before and collected a list of links on the subject. So just from that standpoint, Ive already added value for the reader.

Propagate bad ideas? I have a link to FMtunerinfo, will readers be getting bad ideas over there? Well, maybe, but such is life, everthing is imperfect.

Its not my site, I am only a member there. Furthermore information from manufacturers may or may not be false. However Im not anti manufacturer, just as a matter of course. In fact Im glad that businesses have seen fit to provide antenna choices to the marketplace.

I have many goals with the project. Your may have your own goals. Please dont confuse the 2, though they are generally the same.

Ive already done quite a bit of research and will be continuing to do so, in the attempt to gradually improve the guide and refine it, add hands on comparisons, etc. Critical analysis is already been applied to the guide, more will be.

As Ive said, I am working daily and weekly to improve the guide, doing my technical homework, adding my results of my own testing, and applying more and more critical judgement. Im sure that in a years time the guide will be still imperfect but much improved and value added than it is now...however its not a pawn shop full of shoddy stolen merchandise right now.....does offer value to the reader, and will only get better over time.

I apologize for using your images without obtaining permission. They have been removed.

In the end, you probably will not agree with many of my assertions or conclusions and have lots of criticism about my testing procedures and whatnot, however I hope that in the US we can agree to disagree here and there without becoming beligerant or ugly about it. Your main criticism, (besides the images) seems to be that the guide is incomplete, inchoerent, and imperfect.....my reply to that is Rome wasnt built in a day.

Keep up the good work.

EV

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the end, it's supposed to be a fun hobby, sharing knowledge and experiences, experimenting, and enjoying the broadcasts on the airwaves.

Let's lighten up a little bit.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I can add linking works. I have been thinking of buying an IBOC receiver for about a year. About the time I was talking to Trip about his Sony, I saw EVs post on the other forum.

So I sent to K6STI's page on it. Impressive review and it pushed me over the top to buy one. Not here yet but should be in a few days.

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-...html#post24795

So I am NOT taking sides. I am just saying that EV's comments that linking works because it does. But I also understand that copyrighted property is just that.

Sad it turned into what happened.

Brian, thanks for that review, it was priceless in my decision.

Ernie, WD4EPK

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonWHill /forum/post/17003562

Just for grins and giggles:

http://ronsmithaerials.com/catalog/menu.html

Once, in a long-lost fabled age, I had a pair of JFD log periodic FM antennas--their largest model complete with the trademark capacitor-coupled dipoles. The stacked pair almost rivaled this cloudcatcher. They don't make them like this any more; indeed, FM-only outdoor antennas are an endangered species.

I think that I still have an old huge full wave FM antenna stored up in the attic. Got in from a hi-fi as it went out of business back in the early 1980's. Used it for a few years then stored it in the attic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you've got a deep wallet and want a professional, very rugged antenna:

http://www.kathrein-scala.com/fm.htm

They also sell semi-parabolic UHF antennas with high gain and very narrow beamwidth, but without the wind- and ice-loading of a full parabolic.

Expect to pay 10x the price of a consumer-grade antenna, but will stand up to hurricanes and severe ice storms. Me, I'll just buy a new antenna...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm in the process of setting up an outdoor antenna with rotator (I hope my old Channel Master rotator still works!).

Right now I have set up my DIY copper tube J-pole, and pounded a new 10' ground rod into place to placate my SO, who will only see it as a lightning rod. Polished it up nice and shiny with steel wool and sprayed on a clear coat of Krylon just to make it look spiffy again; it's otherwise just another vertical antenna with so-so reception until I'm ready to purchase a directional antenna.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I recieved the CC Crane FM Reflect antenna. Compared to the supplied dipole antenna with the F1HD, it does slightly better in my test so far. One thing I was hoping would happen is better noise rejection on the lead from the elements due to having the tuner near some other electronic devices. It seems to do much better here. I have a PLC and display on the same desk and before when they were powered up the HD signals would be lost. Now it doesn't seem to effect the HD.

Before I recieved the FM Reflect, I reshaped the radials into the circular shape that is mentioned in the FM Reflect manual that was online and that helped the HD signals and made them solid with the Sony supplied antenna. If it wasn't for the shielded lead helping the signal, I would say this antenna doesn't help much. If you are in an electrically noisy work environment, this may help. I will keep it. Something about the HD signal with the F1HD is that it does not like electrical noise. I can get a solid 3 bars and no HD. At home, it is no issue getting the HD signals even with 2 bars.

BTW, got my son an ILUV(I168) unit for an alarm clock/radio. Fairly impressed.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the report Traveler62!

Makes a lot of sense.

Have you thought about shielding the tuner box itself with aluminum foil or something similar?

The classic mod for a Radio Shack DX 394 General Receiver is to open up the top case and then use foil backed duct tape to line the interior of the top case, to reject interference.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those Sony F1HDs run hot FWIU, though. So you may want to cut some ventilation holes and maybe add a fan if you are going to do something like that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, thats funny. I read your post and my first thought was the Sony melting down as hot as they run. The issue I believe was supplied FM antenna has twin lead all way to the plug which has no shielding effect. The reflect seems to be fine for that reason. Appreciate your help and the guide for the antennas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts