AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased A Sony XDR-F1HD tuner and A Winegard hd-6000 antenna.

I mounted the antenna on my tower and pointed the antenna with my XDR-F1HD on the roof and with about 6 feet of coax

I got 3 HD channels on the roof and several week channels from NY and Vermont.

Then I installed my good quality RG-6 coax (about 40 feet). Now I get almost nothing from NY and Vermont. No HD channels and no weak channels.

I tried the Kitz Tech OTA amplifier a just before the tuner's input and I get some more channels but nothing great. The Kitz cannot be mounted at the antenna because it is not a preamplifier.

My coax is connected to a coax grounding block.

Is there a good FM VHF preamplifier that someone knows about ?

I will try tomorrow a Channel Master 7777 for fun.

Thanks,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depending on your location (your description sounds suburban or rural), the HD6000 may simply not be enough antenna. Bypass the lightning arrestor and try a new run of coax, if possible; hopefully this will eliminate the possibility of defective components.

Winegard offers a line of mast-mounted preamps. I thought they'd still stock a preamp cartridge that would fit directly on the antenna, but all I see are essentially baluns to match the antenna impedance to 75 ohm coax.

http://www.winegarddirect.com/cview....Pre-Amplifiers

A long time ago, I built a FM band preselector/amplifier from a magazine project, but I don't know of any equivalent FM-only products on the market now. Let us know how the CM preamp worked for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the problem:

My connector on my homemade coax balun was bad. Anyhow, I replaced it.

Quote:
Depending on your location (your description sounds suburban or rural), the HD6000 may simply not be enough antenna.

I did some test with the CM7777, the CM7777 with my Winegard hd-6000 is superb.

BTW, I'm 70 miles of the transmitting towers.

I do get now even without the preamp, 3 HD channels from NPR. It's not much but better then nothing.

When I connect the CM7777, I get about five additional analog FM channels. There is too much adjacent channel interference to get the other 2 hd channels.

I have to use the CM7777 for my 4228 and Delhi 10y13s for DTV.

What do you think about the Winegard AP 3700 VHF preamp?

Do you think it would be a good match for my HD radio and the HD-6000?

Thanks for your time,

Intravino

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased the Winegard HD-6000 on Thursday, with it arriving on Monday. I'm halfway between NYC & Philly in Monmouth County, and the dipole won't pull in any NYC HD and the Philly HD FM's are spotty.

I have the Accurian tabletop and Sony HD tuner to test with. Hopefully I can get both Philly & NYC HD stations, and the few NJ HD stations we have.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intravino /forum/post/17035759

I found the problem:

My connector on my homemade coax balun was bad. Anyhow, I replaced it.

I did some test with the CM7777, the CM7777 with my Winegard hd-6000 is superb.

BTW, I'm 70 miles of the transmitting towers.

I do get now even without the preamp, 3 HD channels from NPR. It's not much but better then nothing.

When I connect the CM7777, I get about five additional analog FM channels. There is too much adjacent channel interference to get the other 2 hd channels.

I have to use the CM7777 for my 4228 and Delhi 10y13s for DTV.

What do you think about the Winegard AP 3700 VHF preamp?

Do you think it would be a good match for my HD radio and the HD-6000?

I'm not familiar with any of the preamps on the market; I've always felt a bigger antenna was usually the best answer and that a mast preamp at best made up for coax loss. For the modest antenna you're using, I think it demonstrates the Sony's exceptional sensitivity. It would be interesting to see how a preamp and HD Radio work together: hopefully the tuner can ignore the additional noise and lock in on more HD signals--keeping in mind that HD signals are at present much weaker than the analog signals.

Alas, we seem to be fast losing the big FM-only antennas, at least in the consumer grade area. I might eventually have to DIY my own from one of Brian Beezley's designs or copy one of the classics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got the Winegard HD-6000 FM in today - and I think I should have gone for a bigger antenna. Just messing around with it in my room, heres what I get in HD:

WXPN 88.5

WWFM 89.1

WRTI 90.1

WBJB (blinks) 90.5

WMMR 93.3

WNUW 97.5

WOGL 98.1

WUSL (blinks) 98.9

WAWZ 99.1

WJRZ (blinks) 100.1

WIOQ 102.1

WMGK 102.9

WRFF 104.5

WSJO 104.9

WDAS 105.3

WISX 106.1

WRNB 107.9

No NYC HD stations, but that might change when I put the antenna in the attic. If it doesn't then it's down to getting a preamp or a 6 element antenna. I wish the FCC would just approve the HD power upgrade and solve some of our problems....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts