AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2006, I needed to put an antenna on my roof to catch HD-over-the-air television. I no longer need it for that purpose, but I thought I might be able to use it for FM radio.

- Is there any reason I cannot use it for FM radio?

There is a connector on the back of my receiver marked "FM UNBAL 75 ohm". I've concluded that this is a male Belling-Lee (IEC 169-2) connector. The cord from the roof antenna is coaxial, terminated at a wall jack with an F-Connector. I am having a devil of a time finding something that will take me from an F-connector to a female Belling-Lee.

Anyone know where I can find such a thing, or even what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
+1. A number of VHF antennas cover the FM band, but not all are designed to do so well. Some include elements to help the FM band. And some are designed to exclude the FM band to reduce interference to the TV. Try it and see.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24463978

Get one of these http://www.parts-express.com/f-connector-screw-on-to-push-on-adapter--090-357

Whether your TV antenna works for FM depends on the antenna itself and the signal strength of the FM radio available to you. For 95¢ (plus shipping) you can try it and find out.

Thanks. I figure since I have the antenna already on the roof and already wired to the wall, I can cheaply enough test it out to see if it works (indeed).

I'm not clear on the adapter you linked. The back of the receiver has what appears to be a male connector, which I believe is Belling-Lee in type.

I'm really unfamiliar with this type of connector, as I've never tried plugging in anything that the included wire antenna that Pioneer gives (it's end looks like a small, hollow tube that fits around the male part of the connector.)

Here's another view of that connector:

help?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Never seen one of those before. Sort of looks like a BNC connector without the two locking tabs. If someone out there sells a BNC plug push on type that may work. Don't look like a F Type at all to me.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

Buy a length of coaxial TV antenna cable with F connectors on each end, such as this http://www.parts-express.com/f-type-rg59-coaxial-video-tv-cable-6-ft--180-105 . They should be available in many stores, in a wide variety of lengths, covered with black or white plastic.

Attach one end of the cable to the F connector on your wall jack, and attach the adapter http://www.parts-express.com/f-connector-screw-on-to-push-on-adapter--090-357 to the other end. Then you simply push it onto the connector on the back of your receiver.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24466386

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

Buy a length of coaxial TV antenna cable with F connectors on each end, such as this http://www.parts-express.com/f-type-rg59-coaxial-video-tv-cable-6-ft--180-105 . They should be available in many stores, in a wide variety of lengths, covered with black or white plastic.

Attach one end of the cable to the F connector on your wall jack, and attach the adapter http://www.parts-express.com/f-connector-screw-on-to-push-on-adapter--090-357 to the other end. Then you simply push it onto the connector on the back of your receiver.

I think you were clear about what you were suggesting! I think I am the one not clear, since the Belling-Lee female connector looks kind of like a male connector, doesn't it? (Or am I still confused?)

See, generally, when you have a post in the center of a connector, it's the male connector, particularly if there is a void around the post. Examples:

Whereas the female connectors generally have no post-like thing:

So of course I'd be confused when you see a pair of Belling-Lee connectors and they both have posts!

So I believe you have offered me solid advice, in that it would appear that the post in the center of that "push-on" adaptor slides inside the hole within the post of the Belling-Lee on the receiver.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24466318

Looks like a PAL connector. Some more adapters here: http://www.showmecables.com/Category/PAL-Connectors-Adapters.aspx?gclid=CJGNyNa4ib0CFa9cMgodJBoA6A You probably need an F-female to PAL-male adapter.

I think you're spot on. PAL= Belling-Lee (?), and these things look like a match:

PAL Female looks a lot like the connector on the back of my receiver:
=

PAL Male looks like a fit!

Thanks, everyone! I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
I don't recall Belling-Lee, did recall PAL, blind pigs and truffles...

Hope it works for you! I actually need to do the same thing for my AVR so please let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24468879

I don't recall Belling-Lee, did recall PAL, blind pigs and truffles....

From my limited research, it does appear that Belling-Lee = PAL (the European standard that is comparable but not equivalent to the F-Connector... by the way, I hate the F-Connector!)

I spent $3.50 for a pair of adaptors, even though Pioneer hasn't gotten back to me to verify that it is a female Belling-Lee/PAL connector. I'll come back here to report!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I learned something here. I stated it resembles a BNC Connector. I now know what a PAL is.

Sometime male connectors are called plugs. Females are called receptacles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24463978

Get one of these http://www.parts-express.com/f-connector-screw-on-to-push-on-adapter--090-357

Whether your TV antenna works for FM depends on the antenna itself and the signal strength of the FM radio available to you. For 95¢ (plus shipping) you can try it and find out.

So... Pioneer replied to my email this morning and said that it is a Push-On F-Connector. Seems you were right immediately!

Maybe the PAL connectors I just ordered will fit, or maybe I'll be ordering these from PartsExpress anyway!

I'll get back to everyone when I've got my answers.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Hmmm... I have not looked, but that does not look like the push-on F connectors I recall. However, my world is 50-ohm, very little video work, so I am not up on all the flavors.

I don't like push-on connectors in general, but positive capture/retention and wiping action along with hermetic seals are not required for most A/V gear.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldxyz  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24472941

So... Pioneer replied to my email this morning and said that it is a Push-On F-Connector. Seems you were right immediately!
I am fairly certain I have used Push-on F connectors for this purpose. So their reply seems right to me.

BTW, the antenna, no matter what its original purpose, will give you a super strong FM signal if it doesn't have an FM Trap inline with it. The signal may be so strong as to cause ghost stations to appear in between the main stations.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24473409

I am fairly certain I have used Push-on F connectors for this purpose. So their reply seems right to me.

Great! I may have just wasted $3.50 and a bunch of time researching Belling-Lee on the basis of what I found prior to coming here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1521881/fm-roof-antenna-and-belling-lee-connections#post_24473409

BTW, the antenna, no matter what its original purpose, will give you a super strong FM signal if it doesn't have an FM Trap inline with it. The signal may be so strong as to cause ghost stations to appear in between the main stations.

Fantastic! I am hopeful that it turns out that way, since I nearly woke my kids while cussing the other night, trying (in vain) to crimp an RG-6 connector on the end of a length of coax. I'd hate to think that I cursed like that when the antenna up on the roof would do me no good at all!

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
The push-on F's I have in my parts box fit over a regular F-female. I only have one female push-on and it still has the insulator, not an air gap like shown on the PAL connectors. Not saying an F-type won't work, just doesn't jive with what I have. Or what Pioneer said, but OTOH I have contacted Pioneer tech support three times over the years and gotten two wrong answers...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That doesn't look like a F connector at all to me. I'm leaning to who said its a PAL type.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I would open the thing up, remove the damn connector, and install a 75 ohm BNC connector.

Most BNC connectors are 52 ohms, but a 75 ohm BNC is available.

That would be far more satisfactory.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If he is going to open it up and change that connector, his other option would be to install a chassis mount F connector. It would then be standard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts