AVS Forum banner

7481 - 7500 of 8254 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Although they are in another league, I did not like my Aria 948 until I paired them with a Roksan K3 amp, having tried several brands. Focal need “warm” amplification

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally, I'd go the Sopra No1 over the 1028 Be. While older Focals (back in the JM Labs days), they definitely had a tendency to be "sharp" or "sibilant" but I definitely haven't found that to be the case with the Sopra line. Having listened side-by-side to the Sopra No2 with many other speaker lines and amps, "sharp" just isn't how I'd characterize them. So feel free to pair with any amp, solid state or tube, without fear :)

I haven't had the chance to hear the Pass gear, but I think it'd be a good pairing, my only concern would be the 30W rating. Just for fun, I tried running the Sopra No2's off a 22W/ch Line Magnetic tube amp, and it just wasn't enough juice. Something to keep in mind. Personally, my current favorite amp pairing I've heard with the Sopra's is the Hegel H20.
I am leaning in the direction of the sopra no1 as well... better detail etc. and a newer design. The downside is less low frequency reach but for my space I tend to have issues with low frequencies under 40hz anyways. My pass labs xa30.8 is class A up to 30 watts in 8ohms (up to 61 watts in 4 ohms) and then class A/B up to 90 watts in 8ohms and 120 watts in 4 ohms. I think power should be fine especially for such a sensitive speaker but I will be asking for an in home demo from the dealer before deciding.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have an h360 and would love to hear more about the h20, especially with the prices on ag for them right now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an h360 and would love to hear more about the h20, especially with the prices on ag for them right now.
Hegel seems to be a pretty solid option! They have always sounded good with whatever speakers they are paired with.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
after doing a ton of research, i've settled on a focal chorus 726 setup to replace my 20+ year old polk rt800s.

chorus 726 fronts
cc 700 center
sr 700 surrounds
being paired with a denon avr-x6400h and imagine xa atmos speakers (possibly changing to svs prime elevation)

looking for feedback from owners of the chorus series. do you like them? how do they sound overall? the research i've done shows them to be absolutely perfect for me and my setup. unfortunately, i have no way of listening to them before buying, so i've been looking at reviews online. sadly, there aren't that many at all for this series. thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
after doing a ton of research, i've settled on a focal chorus 726 setup to replace my 20+ year old polk rt800s.

chorus 726 fronts

cc 700 center

sr 700 surrounds

being paired with a denon avr-x6400h and imagine xa atmos speakers (possibly changing to svs prime elevation)

looking for feedback from owners of the chorus series. do you like them? how do they sound overall? the research i've done shows them to be absolutely perfect for me and my setup. unfortunately, i have no way of listening to them before buying, so i've been looking at reviews online. sadly, there aren't that many at all for this series. thanks

Congrats. I had that set up (with 705 as surround instead of sr700). I still have the cc700 and the 705, but replaced the 726 with Aria 948.

I really enjoyed the 726s but at some point of tech-fever I felt I needed to upgrade them. The 726 are fantastic, I would highlight the fantastic midrange they deliver and they fill the room very well, provided it is not a huge room. Si you have a subwoofer? It is very recommended, not only for movies/games but also for music. Sometimes I miss the 726, although I really like also the 948, as they were very easy to drive

Regarding Atmos, I have the infamous Onkyo sth-410, but I will not upgrade them since the Atmos upfiring system is very limited (as the content in Atmos is) so it is not worth the change

Enjoy!

Reactions: talbain

·
Registered
242 Posts

chorus 726 fronts
cc 700 center
sr 700 surrounds

I've had the 726 fronts, cc700 center, and 705 rears for just over 5 years, and I absolutely love them. I was coming from Polk tsi, and this is a huge upgrade.
To be fair, I haven't listened to many other speakers in this and higher price range.

Reactions: talbain

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I own a cc800 and it sounds very, very close to my cc900 center channel...so by that comparison I would say chorus series sounds great.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
its discontinued i believe...check audiogon site or ebay

·
Registered
858 Posts
I’m in the market for the Focal 1038BE II. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the Focal 1038BE and 1039BE II?
1038be2 is dramatically better. Larger tweeter, much less bright. Still, the Kanta series is quite superior. I'd try to go Kanta no2 or no3.

·
Registered
203 Posts
1038be2 is dramatically better. Larger tweeter, much less bright. Still, the Kanta series is quite superior. I'd try to go Kanta no2 or no3.
I’m not sure why some folks references the number “2” after the Focal Electra speaker model number. The 1000 BE Series 1 speakers were the 1007BE, 1027BE, and 1037BE. The 1000 BE Series 2 and current models are the 1008BE, 1028BE, 1038BE. There is no 1028BE2 or 1038BE2. Simply 1028BE or 1038BE. This will eliminate confusion specially for those who may not be familiar with Focal speakers. Stating the exact model number (e.g. 1028BE) should suffice. It’s not like the Paradigm Signature line, which I am very familiar with, where they used the same model number in all three versions and hence requires the version number (e.g. S6v2, S6v3). Thank you.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I’m not sure why some folks references the number “2” after the Focal Electra speaker model number. The 1000 BE Series 1 speakers were the 1007BE, 1027BE, and 1037BE. The 1000 BE Series 2 and current models are the 1008BE, 1028BE, 1038BE. There is no 1028BE2 or 1038BE2. Simply 1028BE or 1038BE. This will eliminate confusion specially for those who may not be familiar with Focal speakers. Stating the exact model number (e.g. 1028BE) should suffice. It’s not like the Paradigm Signature line, which I am very familiar with, where they used the same model number in all three versions and hence requires the version number (e.g. S6v2, S6v3). Thank you.
Absolutely wrong.

https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/high-fidelity-speakers/electra-1000-be-2

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
holy cow stereophile mag gave kanta 2 a nice review...

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,676 Posts
Look at the site you reference, then reread my post. I stand corrected.
I love how they refer to the 1028BE as the flagship, despite the 1038BE being more expensive and more prominently displayed to the left of the 1028BE on their site. Thanks for your posts - I was wondering if I had missed that there were 2 versions of the 1038BE speakers and the others in that line.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I love how they refer to the 1028BE as the flagship, despite the 1038BE being more expensive and more prominently displayed to the left of the 1028BE on their site. Thanks for your posts - I was wondering if I had missed that there were 2 versions of the 1038BE speakers and the others in that line.
Here’s link on Focal’s web site to their discontinued products. Notice the original 1000BE series (1007BE, 1027BE, 1037BE). They had the smaller beryllium tweeter vs the current 1000BE model (1008BE, 1028BE, 1038BE).

https://www.focal.com/en/support-en-ligne/off

Anyhow, I’ve placed an order for the 1038BE and CC1008BE. I will be comparing these to my Paradigm S8v3, C5v3, ADP3v3 in my main system. I’m Music/Movies 80%/20%, so will be interesting to see how the 1038BE compares to the S8v3 in my room and system (Classe all around).

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Ordered a pair of Aria 906 bookshelf speakers today for 2 channel listening and looking forward to many years of enjoyment. They should arrive in a couple of weeks, any setup tips or anything that I need to be aware of regarding performance enhancement or placement tips? They will be paired with an Anthem MRX-720 AVR & SVS PC-2000 sub, Oppo 205 DAC/CD. Many thanks!

Good to see @markrubin as a moderator on this thread.

Reactions: markrubin

·
Registered
608 Posts
Only if you pair them with a warm amp

7481 - 7500 of 8254 Posts