AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Focopix tab tensioned 92in electric screen ordered from HTDEPOT.com and thought I would share impressions.

This screen is very well built, comes with RF remote so you can tuck away screen above drop ceiling if you wish. There is also a hard wired trigger if needed. It comes with all mounting brackets (standard hooks are on top for quick install) and it also comes with wrenches and tools to adjust screen tension and stop mechanism. Case is black with small logo, comes with 12ft or so cord that is of nice length.

The screen comes down in about 5 seconds and can be stopped at any point with a maximum of 12in drop at top so tucking it up in a drop would be no issue, it has a 1.4 gain but I doubt its that strong which is good to avoid some "hot spotting".

Material is of good quality, borders are 2 inches all around and 1080p material looks fantastic on it........remote comes with integrated laser pointer for presentations aswell.

For under $400 shipped I dont know how you can go wrong with this, I have owned 2 other screens prior to this and as of now this one is my favorite,

For those who cant do fixed wall screens and want a powered unit at a real world price I whole heartedly vote for Focopix. Cheers

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I've owned the 120" Focupix tab tensioned screen for about 16 months and my only issue I had when I set up the screen was it had a vertical wave about a foot long located just a few inches in from the the left edge. I tried all of HT Depots suggestions to get rid of the wave but nothing worked. However while I was away from the house for a expended period last summer I had the screen retracted and when I returned and lowered the screen the wave was gone and now 6 months later it hasn't returned. I have a 2nd (summer) home where I have a Elite fixed frame screen with their 1.1 gain matte fabric and the Focupix (rated at 1.4 gain) does have a little higher gain than the Elite. Overall the screen is well made and was easy to install. My larger 120 inch model cost about twice as much (around $800) as you 92" model and I still consider it a good deal as compared to the other available tensioned screens.

·
Lifetime Member
1,546 Posts
i have the 106" focupix tensioned screen, and overall its been great for me! but i've only had it for ~3 months. only thing i wished is that they made a IR kit for it. None of the kits that they have will work with the tab tensioned model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm seriously considering one of the Focupix screens. Do you guys think the tab tensioned versions are worth their price premiums over the regular ones? It's quite a jump. I'm having a hard time figuring out the purpose of the tension beyond helping with a drafty room. Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahamala /forum/post/18314274

I'm seriously considering one of the Focupix screens. Do you guys think the tab tensioned versions are worth their price premiums over the regular ones? It's quite a jump. I'm having a hard time figuring out the purpose of the tension beyond helping with a drafty room. Is there something I'm missing?

The purpose of tab tensioning is to avoid any curling in of the screen on the sides as well as helping to eliminate any waves. That said, I just purchased and installed a 125" (120" viewable) Focupix NON-tensioned model and only see VERY minimal curling on the sides that is not visable when using it. In fact, you have to get right next to the screen to see the tiny bit of curl. NO waves at all. At least for now, I'm very glad I didn't spend the $$$ for a tab-tensioned version.

Shipping was FAST--2 business days from Virginia to Michigan.

Good luck with your decision!

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if that curling gets worse over time. Either way, I may just splurge for the tensioned model because I do like the idea of not having any waves.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had 2 screens with no Tab tension and wont do it again, for the money I say splurge.......waves suck SUCK suck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts