AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

I have problems getting a good focus on my Sony VPH-1252Q CRT PJ. The image is clean, but for instance, I cannot read the icon names on my Windows XP desktop. Also, edges are always


Here are the specs of my system:

========================

Source: I am using my home PC as the source device to read my DVDs. I am outputing the signal as 768 X 1024 at 60Hz vertical resolution. I am connected to the PJ through RGBHV connection.


Screen: a 120 inch diagonal white screen.


Distance between PJ and screen: 0.75 feet further from the user guide's recommended distance (I have neon lights at the recommended distance)


The image is great, but it is a bit blurry. Is this because:

- I have not set my focus correctly?

- Is it because I am feeding my PJ with too much information?

- Since I installed my PJ a bit further from the recommended distance, does it make it impossible to get a sharp focus?

- Or simpler, is it just impossible with a CRT PJ to get the same focus/sharpness as with a standard computer monitor? Should I be able to read icon titles on my 120 inch screen?

- Am I asking too much of my PJ? :confused:


Thanks again for your help guys. You are doing a great job!


Improman
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,935 Posts
1024p is way too high of a resolution for the 1252. How many hours on the tubes? It's only an ES focus unit, and as they get older, they lose focusability.


Start with 800x600 or maybe 1024x768. What video card are you using? See if it has 1280x720.


You should definitely be able to read icon text at 800x600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts
Also, pull off the lenses and clean the back of them and the face of the tube, esp the blue and green. The HV pulls all sorts of crud into the airgap between the two and hazes the image out.


Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
1024p is way too high of a resolution for the 1252. How many hours on the tubes? It's only an ES focus unit, and as they get older, they lose focusability.
There are about 2000 hours on the tubes.

Quote:
Start with 800x600 or maybe 1024x768. What video card are you using? See if it has 1280x720.
I am already using a 1024x768 resolution with a Matrox G400 card (32 megs). I am using the Dual Head clone to display the image on my PJ.

Quote:
You should definitely be able to read icon text at 800x600.
I haven't tried to set the focus on that resolution. Focus was adjusted on my PJ by a technician who only has set the 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions. I can try it myself though. We'll see what I can do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts
THE focus shouldn't change electronically or optically with different resolutions.


Put up the white square pattern in the middle of the screen and put up one color at a time. If it looks like there's a lot of hazing around the edges of the square, pull the lenses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
I can read the icon text on mine at 1280x1024, and while its not razor sharp, it is definately legible. My 1252 has about 3000 hours on the tubes, and HD-8m lenses which seem to give me a slightly better focus than the original lenses. I have been able to get a slightly better focus each time I've redone it, but the progression has taken me 6 months to get a better feel for what the projector and myself are capable of. 800x600 is a good starting resolution like Clarence mentioned that you should be able to dial in pretty darn good. You can then play with better resolutions later on when you are more confident of your focus abilities. You'll never get a razor sharp desktop with this pj - but mine is definately focused enough to read on.


Also - read up on the focus mod done for this PJ - 5$ worth of springs and grommets may help you out quite a bit (especially on the edges).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Actually, I couldn't believe the difference between the PT lenses on a friends 1252 and the HD-8 lenses on my 1272. I would say the if the 1272 was a 10, then the 1252 was maybe a 5 or 6.


From what I can tell from the service manual, you could get a 1252 with either set of lenses.


SC


EDIT - Just to be clear, though - I got fairly readable icon text out of the 1252 even at 1280x720 (16:9). It was just easier to get a good optical focus and (sharper once focused) on the 1272, even at 480p (taking bandwidth out of the equation.) WM9HD clips looked beautiful, even though the PJ wasn't as sharp as it could be. I'm constantly amazed at how awesome these old projectors are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by govgeek
I can read the icon text on mine at 1280x1024, and while its not razor sharp, it is definately legible. My 1252 has about 3000 hours on the tubes, and HD-8m lenses which seem to give me a slightly better focus than the original lenses.
Can I buy such lenses on eBay? What should I check for?

Quote:
I have been able to get a slightly better focus each time I've redone it, but the progression has taken me 6 months to get a better feel for what the projector and myself are capable of. 800x600 is a good starting resolution like Clarence mentioned that you should be able to dial in pretty darn good.
Should I only start playing with electronic focus, or should I also play with the optical one?

Quote:
Also - read up on the focus mod done for this PJ - 5$ worth of springs and grommets may help you out quite a bit (especially on the edges).
Any clue where I can get the information? Any good web pages to suggest? I've got the dealer's guide. Is that enough?


Thanks!

Improman
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top