AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question about my newly acquired Sony 1031 (my first CRT). I have been spending most of my weekend working with this projector, trying to get a better image out of it. Now I am starting to wonder if I have the wrong shims installed on my projector. I have found that the rings are aligned for 100" projection, which should be right for me since I am using a 45"x80" screen (right?). I have set the projector 129" from the screen (lens to screen) as instructed in the installation manual. The problem I am having is that the Blue will not focus on the left side and the Red will not focus on the right side. The center will focus fine on both.

The projector did not come with extra shims. I am not sure which shims are installed but from description at ********* dot com ("Looking at the thickness of the shim from the top, the large are approx 1/4" thick, the medium are approx 1/2" thick and the small shims are approx. 3/4" thick") it sounds like I have the large set installed. They are around 1/4" thick at their thickest and narrower toward the center of the projector.

I have happily determined that the lenses on this projector are HD-6.

Please excuse my novice description and question, but I am trying to determine if this projector is set-up correctly before I spend any more time trying to focus it. Thanks in advance!

-Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mark-

i am a long way from being the tech guy you want answering your questions, in fact i stopped trying to answer questions when i figured out what a dim bulb i was compared to some of the many people that seem to be glad to answer. but since no one else has stepped up i will give it a try.

it sounds like you have answered your own question based on the info you have presented. the sony shim system for changing the screen size leaves a lot to be desired when it comes time to change the application, particularly if you don't have the spares that come with the projector when it is new. as far as i can tell the institutional A/V guys must throw those away immediately because i have NEVER seen a spare set with a surplus projector.

to be honest i have never noticed the shims on the 10 series. i have a small collection from the 12 series. but i do have a 10 series parts machine or two, i will see what i can find and measure there.

the only observation i can share is that if you have the projector the correct distance from the screen but it has the wrong shims i would think you would have a difficult time getting red and blue pulled in far enough to properly converge on green. that presumes the image is centered on the raster of blue and red. i only do a rough set up of these for resale, so i am a long way from being an expert, but the problem that i typically have is that the static convergence controls won't pull the image in far enough for even a rough check at a short throw distance. i could be way off but if the image is centered on the raster of blue and red i'm not sure that the shim is going to be the issue.

the other reason i chimed in is to get you back on page one; once these posts get a day old they don't get nearly the same number of views. i will take a look at my shims and get back to you. jt

·
Registered
147 Posts
You also may want to give Eric a call at Projection Systems International, I needed a set of shims for my 1031, He had them in stock, and was able to help me ID the ones I needed. Sent them right out.

ED

·
Registered
702 Posts
If the lens rings are set for 100", then chances are you have the right shims, unless someone changed them and didn't move the lens rings to match.

And I'm not saying you missed the obvious, but you did adjust the front sections of the lenses to do the edge focus, right?

If you do have the wrong shims on your crt's, then just move the lens rings to match the shims, change the throw distance, and see if it focuses then. I've actually ran it down to a 50" screen when using the 100" shims, but the raster has to be slightly off-center for that.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. It does seem unlikely that the shims would be wrong, except that the previous owner seemed a little clueless. I suppose he (or someone else) could have rotated the lenses without knowing to replace the shims. I was really just wondering if that situation would produce that symptom.

Yes, I did attempt to focus the center and edge seperately. On the Red I was able to focus the center and then with the front of the lense I was able to focus the left side only. The right side would just go from blury to blurier.

With the blue it is the same except the opposite side.

It just occured to me today to try exactly what you suggested, Maxxarcade. I will try to rotate the lenses (adjust for 200" projection) and adjust the position of the projector for focus. Assuming that the 200" shims are installed, will I be able to get a properly converged image this way? And will that require offsetting the raster? I will try it, at least. I'm still learning so I may or may not be able to get a good picture either way :)

Thanks again to jt, Ed, and Maxxarcade.

Tace care.

-Mark

·
Registered
702 Posts
Another thing you want to be sure of is that the focus is set right on the CRT's themselves. But usually if that is wrong then the whole picture will be out of focus and not just one side. Let us know how it goes when you rotate the lens rings. You very well may have to move the rasters in farther on the blue and red to converge to a 100" screen. But make sure you don't go over the edges of the phosphor.

I have two 1031Q's here to look at, so if you need some more help I can probably pull the lens block off mine and measure the 100" shims. Then you can simply add washers behind the blue and red CRT's to make them the proper angle for 100" projection. But if you use washers, don't over tighten the CRT mounting bolts or you might bend the brackets on the CRT's.

Also I assume you have seen the setup guide on the Eboystoys web site. It covers pretty much everything. If I brought up anything you mentioned earlier, it's because I "speed read" your previous posts :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK guys, thanks again for the help. I spoke with someone (can't remember his name) at Projection Systems about the shims on my Sony 1031. He said it sounds like I have the right shims for 100" projection.

After re-reading the FAQ on their website I became even more confused. It describes the ring/shim system as being the same for both the 10xx and 12xx series, or at least it sounds that way to me when I read it. By looking at the manuals for the 1031 and 1271, however, I have concluded that the description on the Projection Systems website applies only to the 12xx series. On the 1031 the shims go at the top and bottom of the CRT while on the 12xx they go on the sides.

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

So it looks like I don't need to order parts, but instead I need to put some time into learning this machine.

-Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.