AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating another speaker project and am between a folded design with Lowther PM5 SDFR or a enclosed design with Seas Exotic X1-08. Also, my goal would be to drive these with the Son of Beast OTL through a Parasound P5 preamp.

Thoughts from all the experts here is appreciated. Genre is classical, jazz and blues. Mostly from SACD for now. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brap  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs#post_24568553

I am contemplating another speaker project and am between a folded design with Lowther PM5 SDFR or a enclosed design with Seas Exotic X1-08. Also, my goal would be to drive these with the Son of Beast OTL through a Parasound P5 preamp.

Thoughts from all the experts here is appreciated. Genre is classical, jazz and blues. Mostly from SACD for now. Thanks!!

I can't think of two things that are more different from one another than folded horns and acoustic suspension designs. One is large, more sensitive and provides more bass. The other is the opposite. I think you need to sort that out rather worry about the electronics you want to use. The electronics aren't important but the basic speaker design certainly is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you and yes, I agree. I just made a SDFR folded horn kit and enjoy that directional sound and concept. I am leaning towards that since I already have ported enclosed speakers and would like to have the choice / variety for 2 channel listening. I appreciate your comment.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brap  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs#post_24568553

Folded horn design dictates the driver, not the other way around, ie. Design the horn first, then select driver based on requirements of horn.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs/0_50#post_24571494

Folded horn design dictates the driver, not the other way around, ie. Design the horn first, then select driver based on requirements of horn.
Rubbish.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs/0_50#post_24573017

Prove it, Mister Brevity.
You're the one who made the claim. Ball's in your court. Worked example please.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs#post_24573041

You're the one who made the claim. Ball's in your court. Worked example please.

Worked example of what?

Pick a driver and try and make a horn. See how well you do.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs/0_50#post_24573044

Worked example of what?

Pick a driver and try and make a horn. See how well you do.
I've designed and built quite a number of horns and the only reason I don't have the large horn system now is worked forced a relocation from a large rural hose to a much smaller urban apartment. And I got some Unitys in the changeover.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs#post_24573073

I've designed and built quite a number of horns and the only reason I don't have the large horn system now is worked forced a relocation from a large rural hose to a much smaller urban apartment. And I got some Unitys in the changeover.

Rubbish.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
There is an old saying about remaining silent and being thought a fool or opening one's mouth and removing all doubt. It is especially appropriate today for you.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs#post_24573125

There is an old saying about remaining silent and being thought a fool or opening one's mouth and removing all doubt. It is especially appropriate today for you.

Doctor, heal thyself.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs#post_24571494

Quote:

That would appear to bea fallacious argument. Conventional wisdom is that you can enter any such design project from either end or even the middle. I do agree with the idea that there are more and less optimal combinations of horn and driver.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban  /t/1525860/folded-horn-vs-closed-box-designs#post_24574581

Theoretically, sure, but from a practical standpoint, it can be an exercise in frustration.

IME one often finds themselves someplace in the middle because the driver of our dreams for the enclosure/horn/waveguide of our dreams doesn't exactly exist.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank for all the feedback. BTW - I had Klipschorns but due to a housing move, had to sell them -- no room in the new place. Still have Forte's but looking to build SDFR's next. I will glean more information as I ask questions at Axpona.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts