AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to rip my collection. Is it better to rip to ISOs (exact copy) or folder structure?

I am looking for compatability for playback, most likely through Windows 7 media center, or an all-in-one enviroment.

I will be using DVDShrink for DVDs and AnyDVD HD for BR (unless you guys have other advice).

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Everyone does it different. I take the easy route, rip to folder and playback with TMT3 and MyMovies and VMC. Just use AnyDVD HD for both formats unless you just want the movie with DVD. No extra software to add that could cause problems.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Ditto on Clown_BD. I've been able to strip out as much as 50% extraneous material (up to 25GB) from a BD rip using Clown_BD. Considering how much real estate BD rips can consume, it really frees up a lot of wasted space that can be used for more BD movies.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
iso or not depends on your player. tmt will read bd directory structures, pdvd won't. you need to make isos for pdvd.

I tried clown the other day for the first time. very slick. it took me a couple of tries to get it right, though.

if clown is building an iso, the iso volume label is the same as the output directory. if you care about that, make sure you use the desired name for the temp directories.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/17036508

Everyone does it different.

can't say it better!!

in MY case, I usually go for the easiest playback route. for DVDs, I rip to the file structure using AnyDVD HD, no ISO mounting needed. for Blurays, I use eas3to+HdBrStream Extractor+MKVMerge to rip the main movie & HD audio track, put them back into a mkv container so I can use any player (included most frontend's built in player like MediaPortal) for play back. no limiting myself on any particular software and hoping they will still work on the next update/release!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Everyone does it differently. However, I prefer to rip straight to ISO using IMGBURN or the Rip to ISO feature of AnyDVD. Why? Because there can be issues with AnyDVD removing BD+. There have been issues in the past requiring those that ripped their disk to folder structure to re-rip them. With an ISO, everything is intact (with the obvious physical disc signatures for AACS.) AnyDVD will remove those protections in real time when mounted.

Of course, I am assuming you are using AnyDVD here.

·
Registered
389 Posts
New to clown_BD and love it thanks to this thread. I tried ripping to just an M2TS file with DTS-HDMA. Using TMT3 to play back with a HDAV1.3 card, I could not get TMT3 to bitstream the DTS-HDMA track. This seems like a limitation of TMT3 yes? Having it write to a blu-ray structure worked.

Edit: Just found in the slim thread...

"Too bad you can't play ripped (M2TS) files with bitstremed audio"

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volley /forum/post/17052643

New to clown_BD and love it thanks to this thread. I tried ripping to just an M2TS file with DTS-HDMA. Using TMT3 to play back with a HDAV1.3 card, I could not get TMT3 to bitstream the DTS-HDMA track. This seems like a limitation of TMT3 yes? Having it write to a blu-ray structure worked.

Edit: Just found in the slim thread...

"Too bad you can't play ripped (M2TS) files with bitstremed audio"

Correct. TMT will only play HD Lossless audio streams IF the source is in BDMV format (i.e. folder structure, physical disc or ISO.)

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I heard it can, check their forum.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
*sigh* This is a problem that has plagued me as well. Still couldn't make up my mind, though, so in the meantime, I just rip to straight 1:1 ISO (with copy protection for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD).

What format is "ideal" seems to be mostly dependent on your front-end/playback software. Right now, I'm using Windows 7 MC (needed something I can deploy quickly) and it seems MKV (once you've installed Haali) is the least problematic. I tried the VIDEO_TS folder route for DVDs and it appears there's a bug in 7MC where it continually refreshes the Movie Library so you get pastel colors instead of folder art.

If you're not decided on the front-end yet, and assuming you've got considerable storage space, rip your discs into 1:1 ISO. Once you've set your heart on a front-end, just convert from the ISO to whatever format works best (with your front-end). Converting from ISO to another format might be easy but doing the reverse, well, not so much. Who knows, maybe you won't even have to convert your ISOs.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I just used anydvd and rip straight iso. I have daemon tools to autoload the iso when clicked and WinDVD 9 to autoload when one is inserted. result is I just click the ISO, and within about 30 seconds the disc starts playing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts