AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT has a ceiling fan that hangs down about 14 inches from the ceiling. It is also between my projector mount and my screen. It is in the way, so I have to mount the pj about 16 inches down from the ceiling so I can shoot under the fan to the screen.

This placement has a low Spouse Approval Factor.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a projector mount that could be "folded" up to the ceiling when not in use. Or perhaps made their own from materials available at Home Depot.

Anyone?

Also, the ceiling fan has to stay, but I have thought about getting a low-profile ceiling fan that would be closer to the ceiling. Unfortunately, this also has a low Spouse Approval Factor.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Projector lifts are the ultimate gadget for HT.

But they are surely not inexpensive.

Is it not possible to simply relocate the ceiling

fan to a more friendly spot on the ceiling?

Bob Wood

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James -

Do you have any idea of the price on that Stewart lift? I didn't see one on the cinemasource website.

That looks *very* nice. Probably out of my price range, though. I was looking for something a lot cheaper. It doesn't have to retract into the ceiling, maybe just fold up closer to the ceiling so it isn't in the way when not in use.

thanks,

rick

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood:
Projector lifts are the ultimate gadget for HT.

But they are surely not inexpensive.

Is it not possible to simply relocate the ceiling

fan to a more friendly spot on the ceiling?

Bob Wood
Bob - I wish it were. My room is a bonus room over the garage, so the flat portion of the ceiling is about 8 feet wide, with sloping ceiling on either side. The ceiling fan is roughly 4 feet wide, so there really is no where to go with it.

And my wife wants it to stay, anyway. I'm sure I could insist, but you have to pick your battles, you know? So if I can resolve this some other way.

Also, I thought more about the Stewart mount james suggested. I don't think it's going to work, anyway, because of where I have to put the pj. There is not enough empty space above the mount point to retract above the ceiling into the attic, because of the attic construction.

So I do need something more along the lines of a fold-up mount.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jbrules:
Hi Rick:

I think the Stewart was like $3700.00 (in their defense Don Stewart and Co. do make incredible stuff!!!). I know CinemSource sells lifts by other companys...Vutec I think makes a less expensive lift...around $2400 for similar drop. Call CinemaSource and ask them, I'm sure they can work with you. My buddy went with they Stewart based on their reputation...I gotta say, the Stewart lift is real smooth!!!

Good luck!

James
James, thanks for the info, but THIRTY-SEVEN HUNDRED CLAMS??? Holy Moly! That's more than the cost of my projector, dvd player and screen combined!!! And we're talking about an nec vt540 and a progressive dvd player. Budget screen, though.

I really *am* in the wrong business. Whew.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I had no idea just how bad the prices were. I guess some of the folks on this forum have really deep pockets. But I should know that from talk of micro-perf screens, DILA's, 3 chip DLP's etc.

I just wish I was one of them. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickforrest:

...THIRTY-SEVEN HUNDRED CLAMS??? Holy Moly!
And that, my friend, could be the key to your success! "Here's your choices dear..."

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.