AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There've been lots of discussions of the capabilities of the human eye, and how easy it is to fool. I attached an interesting picture that a friend sent me, which shows an interesting way in which the eye (or more likely the brain in this case) can be fooled into seeing things that aren't there.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. Well, in my case, it may have something to do with my tendency to self medicate in my youth, but as to other people, I don't know.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Ok, what are we looking at :confused:

I am assuming that the bottom left image, that is showing the white defect, is not actually there?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Keep looking at it, Free, and you'll see the illusion. I'll give you a hint, it's not an animated GIF :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Still can't figure out what we're looking for. Do you have to have two working eyes for this to show up? If so, I'm dead.

Dan

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Well guy's..I can't see it. My wife can see it and we figured out why it does not work for me at all, and this has actually been a very disturbing thing to discover.

I have a Retinal disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa that is causing a progressive loss in my peripheral vision. Because I have limited peripheral percetption, I have adapted by scanning everything I look at. It is an unconscious adaptation that I don't realize I am doing until I am confronted with something like this.

My eyes rapidly scan what I am looking at to fill in the whole picture. If I force myself to stare at one point, my periphery fades into grey, and I can't see anything except what is in my central focus.

As a related topic to fooling the eye, I am actually amazed at how my brain fills in the gaps in my vision during my day to day life. When I am in familliar surroundings, I seem to see much better. What is actually going on is that I have a visual memory of my surroundings and the gaps in my vision are filled in with my memory of what should be there. When I go out and am in an unfamilliar location, it becomes apparent just how much vision I have lost.

I guess you guy's are not going to believe any projector review I might do in the future now :(

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eye movement definitely makes it happen. If you stare at any one spot it stops, but if you move your eye around, then you see it. But, it may depend on peripheral vision, since the movement seems to happen in the area you aren't looking at at the moment.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Still can't figure out what we're looking for. Do you have to have two working eyes for this to show up? If so, I'm dead.
So maybe it also play tricks with our stereoscopic processing in our brain as well. For the rest of us, if you move your eyes across it, the wheels seem to rotate, though they obviously are actually static.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi guys,

here is another one (hope the attachment works) Look at it and you will find that square A is darker than square B. Then cover the left and right part with your hands. You will find that the circle, square A and square B are all the same shade of grey.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
For me, after staring at it for a while, with my eyes about one foot from the monitor, the four vertical columns become five. Blink my eyes and the image returns to the original four. But I can repeat the phenomenon over and over.

Is that the illusion?

If I move back to about 2 feet away from the screen, the illusion doesn't occur -- or at least not before I run out of patience.

Finally, would this same illusion likely occur with front projection?

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
As you move your eyes side to side, the wheels that you aren't looking at will appear to rotate a little - it's something to do with peripheral vision.

HTH

Gary

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Always love these things. Brings to mind a terrific book: "How The Mind Works" by Stephen Pinker - believe it or not, a terrific and funny book to read by a one of the guys on the cutting edge of current cognitive research.

Randy

·
Registered
36 Posts
guys ,check this out! turn on your projector and stare in the lens for 5 minutes.....your eye should see a yellow haze,..then turn it off and you should see nothing but all white or all black.( depends on the individual) This is a pretty neat eye trick I did last week and I can still see nothing but black from my left eye.

-paul

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thackl
Hi guys,

here is another one (hope the attachment works) Look at it and you will find that square A is darker than square B. Then cover the left and right part with your hands. You will find that the circle, square A and square B are all the same shade of grey.

Cheers

Tom
I saw this a few weeks ago as well, and played with it in Photoshop. Here is everything erased but the 2 numbered tiles and you can really see that it is the same shade of grey...

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
try this, if you stare at the sun for 1 hour, then the blacks on any projector look perfect. (only draw back is that brightness becomes a problem)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.