AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends want me to DVD football games for them. I want the highest quality and shortest time, no commercials or fluff on ONE disc.

For longer football programs where I don't know the time of the actual edited game itself how do I do it?

Can I just XP or SP the entire game to hard drive, then edit out commercials etc, then FR back to a DVDR??? I don't think you can do that.

I know there is probably almost 45m to 1 hr of fluff I'd want to edit out. So even an edited SP recording would be over 2 hours probably.

I do not want to edit the game live and I want high-speed dubs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, I've never tried this, but our friendly manual seems to indicate you can do an FR recording of your edited HDD game to DVD-R. I beleive you would put a blank disc in the DVD tray, go to DVD viewing, select FR menu, and indicate which HDD program you want to dub.

I believe this will result in a re-encoding of the HDD program since it is not a high-speed dub, so the PQ may suffer. But will an SP recording dubbed in FR have worse quality than an LP recording dubbed in high-speed mode? I have not a clue, would suggest you experiment with both and see which looks better to you. My gut feeling is the SP recorded on HDD and dubbed to DVD using FR will look better.

Good luck and let us know what you discover!

HDD

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I can do that, I would record first in XP to the hard drive, edit it, then FR back to DVD-R. No hi-speed dubs I guess when switching record modes? I like to add markers.

I am still learning about dubbing. I should practice with a DVD-RAM to see what it will do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, you don't say if it's a college or pro game. The college games I've recorded -- after commercial removal -- average around 2:45. That's too long for SP and not long enough for me to put up with 2 disks. I have been recording at XP onto hard drive, editing commercials, then FR dubbing to DVD-R. Football is tough, because of motion artifacts and the grass never looks quite right. I think I can live with the 2:45 FR recording, though the quality is not optimal.

Sometimes there are long stretches of boring game that I can snip out and get a little better quality. I have even toyed with the idea of cutting the duller parts of the games to try and fit them to 2 hours, but I have a hard time deciding what to cut.

I wish there were a little longer capacity DVD's out there. Three hours instead of two would accomodate so many more shows! Oh well, if a game is really good, I split it to two disks and will wait for some longer capacity medium to dub it to.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I do a lot of college games on the E-80 but always on two discs at 1 hour and 15 minutes(more or less) per disc FR speed from the HDD after deleting all commercials and halftime on the HDD. The average college game IS between 2 hours and 20 minutes and 2 hours and 30 minutes after deleting commercials and halftime bull on your Panny HDD. If they go into overtime you may get a lot more or a little more. As for one disc I would do FR from the HDD and set it for exactly the time. I do not know if you could hi speed dub one disc at FR for 2 hours and 25 minutes - I doubt it. In fact I have never tried to Hi speed dub FR mode from HDD and do not know if it is possible. I only have done hi speed dub when I do 1 hour and 5 minutes or less to one disc. If you really want to get radical you could put the game on 3 discs hi speed dub from HDD after dividing program into three.- I have gotten crystal clear stuff that way. I cannot understand why people want one disc. Are they that lazy to get up and insert another?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The size of an SP recording to the hard drive depends at least partly on the content of the video. Also, SP mode is at an averate bitrate that will always leave some free space on a DVD. Those two facts combined allow you to high speed dub a little more than two hours of SP mode recording to DVD. So IF you could trim the SP recording down to 4411 MB you would still be able to high speed dub.

Based on other posts it sounds like you'd have to delete enough content to get down to about 2 hours and 10 minutes to get under 4411 MB and retain the option of high speed dubbing an SP recording.

FR mode recordings reportedly shift down to LP mode resolution (but higher bitrate than LP) at about 2 hours 20 minutes, so that's another edited length to aim for if making an XP recording, editing, and then dubbing in FR mode.

It might be worth turning off DVD compatibility mode and turning on Hybrid VBR when doing the FR mode dub to see if the results are better during rapid motion.

David

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
I cannot understand why people want one disc. Are they that lazy to get up and insert another?
It's not about laziness, it's all about personal preference and tradeoffs. In my case it's because SP/FR is light years ahead of vhs and exhibits perfectly fine PQ FOR ME so the incovenience of dealing with two disks is not outwieghed by the marginal PQ improvement of XP. Besides, I don't need twice as many disks cluttering up my shelf space and would like to conserve my $2 DVD-R blanks.

Some might wonder why someone would want to permanently archive every football game ever played, including taking the time to edit out all the commercials if one already knows the outcome. :) But that's the beauty of the technology. It's flexible enough to let people do WHAT THEY WANT TO. The purpose of this board is not to question why the next guy wants to do something a certain way, but the purpose of this board is to give him the technical answers he needs to allow him to do it the way he wants, if possible without imposing our own personal preferences or pet peeves. So for some people its XP and two disks and for others its SP/FR and a single disk.

If you are planning to use two disks anyway, you could save yourself some time (not editing out commercials) by just using the marker feature to mark the end of each commercial break, that way when you get to the beginning of a commercial break and hit the advance key to skip over the entire commercial break or halftime in one shot. These marker points should transfer over when you do a DVD-R compatible mode high speed dub. Just a time saving suggestion...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
It's not about laziness, it's all about personal preference and tradeoffs.
Thanks vferrari, you expressed my position very well. It's all about tradeoffs. I lament having to reduce the quality of the recording a little, but weigh the options for each game and decide what the future watchability of the game is. For particularly good or important games (big rivalry games) I will probably split it into two or three disks in anticipation of future higher capacity recording methods. When I transfer these recordings to blu-ray, or whatever, I will be happy that I spared no expense to achieve better results. But for run of the mill games, that I may watch once in the next decade, I can accept the quality loss in exchange for the space and dollar savings

I added it up and have 90 FSU games on VHS tapes going back to 1988. Do I really want to use 180-270 disks to archive this stuff at optimal quality?? It's tru that those disks would take up far less space than the VHS tapes, but I think I can make do with a little pixelation.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
vf- I do not always agree with you but you have a method of advancing your AV points with great intelligence and tact that is remarkable. From what University did you graduate? And where were you born and raised, if I may be so bold? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
It's not about laziness, it's all about personal preference and tradeoffs. .......... But that's the beauty of the technology. It's flexible enough to let people do WHAT THEY WANT TO. The purpose of this board is not to question why the next guy wants to do something a certain way, but the purpose of this board is to give him the technical answers he needs to allow him to do it the way he wants, if possible without imposing our own personal preferences or pet peeves....
Wish I had said that. Could not agree more. :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Make sure you record the FSU - UM games from 91, 92, 2000 & 2002. I remember that those games were great but I do not think you like the ending. I have converted these games and others. I have about 200 UM games to convert to dvd. I however am converting at the 2 hour standard and do not mind using 2 disks. I usually leave out the halftime and do not edit the commercials. I think that I can ff when I watch the game. If you figure that you will take 3-3.5 hours per tape to watch and edit the dvd, it is a lot of time. Think about it. How many times are you going to watch FSU play DUke. The score is about the same each year, and there is no suspense. Maybe the top games might be worth the time, but most games are not. See you after October 11.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miamilaw
Make sure you record the FSU - UM games from 91, 92, 2000 & 2002. I remember that those games were great but I do not think you like the ending.

I'll record those if you'll record 1995-1999! :)

Seriously, I don't decide to keep or discard based on outcome. I may not watch those particular games as often, but I've got 'em in case I need a good cry! The game I wish I had recorded was the 1987 game ... a loss, but still one of the best games I've ever seen. You have it?

Quote:
I have converted these games and others. I have about 200 UM games to convert to dvd. I however am converting at the 2 hour standard and do not mind using 2 disks. I usually leave out the halftime and do not edit the commercials. I think that I can ff when I watch the game. If you figure that you will take 3-3.5 hours per tape to watch and edit the dvd, it is a lot of time. Think about it. How many times are you going to watch FSU play DUke. The score is about the same each year, and there is no suspense. Maybe the top games might be worth the time, but most games are not. See you after October 11.

Agreed, I may not even dub the Duke games! Actually, most of my games were recorded at EP and I have the tapes full of stuff. I like to record College GameDay before the game and then the wrap up show afterwards. Years later, it's the commentary that is often the most fun to watch.

I will probably only get around to recording the Florida & Miami games, plus bowl games and other pivotal games like Notre Dame '93, Ga Tech '93, Michigan '91, Clemson '88 etc. I doubt that any Duke or Wake Forest games will make it into the final DVD collection!

See you 10/11. That's my anniversary so I am expecting Bobby to come through with a whopper of a gift! You know I actually sent him an invitation to my wedding but he didn't RSVP. My wedding day we were playing Duke away, so I figured he didn't REALLY have to be there anyway! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I may get that game copied to dvd, but I bet you will be able to get it on ESPN classic the week of the game. THey usually rerun the great UM fsu games that time each year. I am looking forward to a great competitive game this year. So set your recorder again and hope for your sake it is not a close game. Miami has won every game that was decided by less than 7 points.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.