AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I can't deal w/ the huge thread on this one, just need to know which surrounds to pick up from people w/ experience w/ these Rockets. I'm getting the 750s and either the 550s or 300 for the back channels.

Which is superior and why?? This is kinda a dipole vs. direct question I guess, but what is the performance of these particular speakers? How strongly do you feel about your suggestion? The price is fairly close, so it doesn't matter much...

I'd mount the 300s on the wall so the 'save money on speaker stands' thing isn't really a factor.

Thanks a ton,

Robert

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would say it really DOES come down to whether your prefer adaptive dipoles or direct radiating speakers. Probably the most important question is whether you do much or any multi-channel music listening. If so, I'd definitely say to go for the 550's. Another thing is with the 550's, you'd have the same Vifa tweeter around the whole setup, for a better overall tonal matchup. If you ever go with a 7.1 setup, and care, the THX standard says to use dipoles for the sides and direct radiators for the rears. Just some food for thought...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input, very helpful indeed. any reason you don't suggest the 4 750s setup? at some point it seems like diminishing returns, I guess.

the thx, 7.1 thing helps alot since I can always upgrade to that by adding 300s later if I go 550s now. vice-versa works too I suppose. I don't listen to multi channel music yet, but soon will have the hardware for it...

tough choices here. thanks again.

anyone else, please? Or more thoughts from you Sa-dono...

~rob

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Although I do watch movies, my setup was layed out with only music in mind as I don't listen to movie soundtracks as intently as I do music. For me the 550's are ideal as surround speakers since I listen to DVD-A quite a bit and the extra extension over the 250's has made using analog bass management unnecessary... that is on the discs where most of the deep bass is correctly steered to the LFE channel. This generally seems to be the case with the DVD-A's I have. Also, monopole surrounds sound better than dipoles to me for music, although I have used dipoles in the past for movies and they sounded great for that purpose.

The big deal here though, is where you're going to put them. Dipoles are ideally mounted directly abeam your listening spot so your head will be in the null created by the out of phase drivers to reduce localization, while monopoles (for music in particular ie. DVD-A and DPL-II processing of 2ch music which I think is wonderful if done right) are ideally set at your 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock (110 degrees) positions. To a large degree your room will dictate what's the better solution, but if you can do either well, I'd go with the monopoles of your choice if you tend to listen to music more critically than you do movies. You did mention that your own criteria is 60% movies so perhaps the side mounted dipoles would be better for you.

Something to toss around, anyway.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob4x20
thanks for the input, very helpful indeed. any reason you don't suggest the 4 750s setup? at some point it seems like diminishing returns, I guess.
I just hadn't hit the refresh button yet :D For home theater, I think the dimishing returns would indeed be fairly high. If you do a lot of critical multi-channel music listening, then I'd say it could definitely be worth the extra money. It just goes along with why you would want the 750's over the 550's for fronts. Just my 2 cents :cool:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think I'd have to disagree a bit. In my opinion it's much more important to have your best speakers in the front vs. as surrounds. Your mains play at a higher level, receive much more of the program with movies and multichannel music, are better aligned with your ears, and generally are much more in your focus when listening. While the difference between the 750's and 550's as mains is distinct and important, I think the difference between them as surrounds is close to negligible. Then again, if the extra cost is not a huge deal, you might as well go all the way.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, of course you need to have your best speakers in the front. I also agree that there is a definite lesser importance in the rears regardless of for home theater and multi-channel music. However, while the difference between 750's and 550's as surrounds may be close to negligible, it is *up to the buyer* to decide if that small difference is worth the extra money (and this only becomes more of an issue with more expensive speakers such as the future Strata's and VMPS RM40's vs. 626R's). If nothing else, I personally prefer the 750's more visually than the 550's :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks wally, money is more of an object than my first post makes it sound like... and I think you're right about positioning being maybe the most important factor. Though Sa-dono's point about having the same tweeter all around holds alot of water too. Not mutually exclusive generally, but my room would 'fit' the 300s better (b/c walls) than the 500s (not much room in back of the couch).

Do the 300s 'kick butt' or do they just get by as 'good enough' surrounds?? Of course I know they're good but are they up to the 750s bang-for-buck level? I'm leaning towards the 550s right now...

more input por favor!

~rob

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If your couch is near the rear wall giving you less than 4-5 feet of distance from your head to the closest 550, I'd definitely go for the 300's on the side walls. IMO they are every bit as good a value and a speaker as the 750's, and the tweeter is a good match to Vifa. Having a monopole surround speaker too close to the head drives me nuts due to the Haas effect, or the brains tendency to localize first arriving direct sounds.

Could you move your couch further forward, or does it need to stay where it is?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sa-dono
Yes, of course you need to have your best speakers in the front. I also agree that there is a definite lesser importance in the rears regardless of for home theater and multi-channel music. However, while the difference between 750's and 550's as surrounds may be close to negligible, it is *up to the buyer* to decide if that small difference is worth the extra money (and this only becomes more of an issue with more expensive speakers such as the future Strata's and VMPS RM40's vs. 626R's). If nothing else, I personally prefer the 750's more visually than the 550's :D
True enough, there are many factors here one must weigh on their own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.