AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to upgrade my HT (and m-ch music) system from having coax 5.0 to 3-way speakers.

To do the surrounds in the same 3-way would result in a fairly tall rear speaker, which I'd like to avoid.

So two questions:

- are there any issues with a more horizontal layout (effectively removing one woofer from the centre)

- in the image the dark part is of course the slot port; with a couch against the back wall these will be placed to the side; what would be the best order for the layout (the image shows port next to wall, woofer next to port, T/M furthest)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1469734/for-a-3-way-surround-speaker-are-there-issues-in-a-w-t-m-layout#post_23239537

You've got it right. The only issue I can imagine is if your mid is whimsy and needs to be crossed relatively high, like 800hz and up.

I'm targeting somewhere in the 400 - 600 for woofer to mid xo; the CTC for the two woofers in the centre will dictate how high is possible.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1469734/for-a-3-way-surround-speaker-are-there-issues-in-a-w-t-m-layout#post_23241996

Correct. You're using an 8" woofer so I think you'll be good with up to 600 no problem. Have the designer give it some thought though.

Actually may go smaller - considering the Seas L16...

...but still too early in the learning process to be committing to drivers yet.

I think i might try to find a 6-8" with higher sensitivity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts