AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new, for $200?: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665940249

My plan is to use this primarily for some late evening baseball games outside and some movies. I will eventually upgrade in a year or two.

One question: what happens with a unit like this and 1080P/24 BD input? Do I have to force 1080i/60 somehow to even get an image?

I'm used to having everything accept everything with my current HT, LOL.

I'm hoping this is a great deal, as I'm very excited at the prospect of a new 720P PJ for $200.

thanks for the advice guys,

James

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Where are you getting this for $200?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friend of the family. Wife lost her husband and simply wants to be rid of it. I considered offering her more, but she will barely take anything for it to begin with. Still in the box as they bought it 6 months ago and never had a chance to use it before he fell ill.

James

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/18277734

Friend of the family. Wife lost her husband and simply wants to be rid of it. I considered offering her more, but she will barely take anything for it to begin with. Still in the box as they bought it 6 months ago and never had a chance to use it before he fell ill.

James

Sorry to hear about the loss.

For $200, I think you can't go wrong. If after 6 months to a year you get the bug to upgrade, you will get your $200 back easily.

Grab it and jump in!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the consideration, reconlabtech. With the lack of "accepting" a 1080p/24 input, will I have issues playing back BD's on this?

I think I can "force" my BD changer to output 1080i/60 if it needs to.

James

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/18277884

Thanks for the consideration, reconlabtech. With the lack of "accepting" a 1080p/24 input, will I have issues playing back BD's on this?

I think I can "force" my BD changer to output 1080i/60 if it needs to.

James

You will probably need to send 1080i/60 or 720p since its a 720p PJ.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Now I'm guessing this is the ultimate "you'll have to try it to find out" question, but is there any kind of a table that gives me a ball park idea if a PJ is suitable for outdoor use or what lumens are required at "X" time of day to be workable?

Really, with most games starting at 7-730 throughout the summer, will I be completely SOL with a PJ like this with "just" 2000 lumens in the late spring/early fall /early and late summer (I'm assuming July and August will be nearly impossible)?

I have a 2 story house that I could project onto the north east side to avoid as much ambient light as possible, but will it even matter? I spose I could DVR the games and start them at 9, but I don't know how crazy friends will be about that. The neighbors are a non-issue, thankfully.

James

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Light on the screen is what kills the image. If you have to start the show before the sun is down, you need to put the screen under cover to block as much incidental light from the top and sides from hitting the screen. If you have a garage, put the screen up in the dark garage and have everyone sit out on the drive.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ thanks, and that's as I expected. It was wishful thinking that I may be able to pull off some "dusk" viewing, but I'm sure what I'm used to as "getting dark" will kill a projected image.

The garage is a great idea, just won't work for my app, and then I may as well watch my 60" Kuro anyway!

Looks like I may be able to get a few late (as in time of night) April/May games in and some Sep/October contests, but not much more without the use of DVR.

James

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although the screen will hang from a trellis and I suppose I could easily fanaggle a tarp outstretched over the immediate area off the trellis with a couple of poles.

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts