AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I have an old Kicker S10L5 (brand new in the box) that I want to use in my new HT setup. Specifically its the dual 4 ohm coil, so I can do 2 or 8 ohms. I say a HT setup but most of the time it will be for music so I'd like to stick with the Kicker.

I'm now trying to feel out (after researching DIY home audio) if I should use a O Audio 500W bash plate amp (325Wrms @ 8ohm) or if I should try and run the sub @ 2 ohms by connecting it to a Alphine MRP-M500(500Wrms @ 2ohm) and use a AC/DC supply in my house for the MRP-M500. The added techincal difficulty will be no problem for me, I'm a electrical engineer.

I still need to make a box for the sub+amp combo so either amp would be integrated into the box. And I don't think the cost difference between the two options is enough to influence my situation(I expect $50 more for the M500 option).

Just seeing if anyone has tried either way I described and if they could compare/contrast on them.

Being able to drive 2 ohms and the class D (the MRP-M500) should be worth it, no?

Would i run into any problems when trying to connect the Alpine amp (which uses two RCA's) to a single LPE output from a typical HT receiver?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm....

Thanks for the link. Not sure if all of the data on that website is correct, its 450Wrms & 900W peak. As far as I know, the Kicker S10 is highly regarded in not competition car audio.

But I will investigate getting a new sub. I have looked into dayton sub's but wanted to reuse the Kicker so that I could afford to build large 3 or 4 way tower speakers with dayton or similar speakers.

Does anyone have comments on using the O Audio amp vs Alpine amp ?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If it were me, I'd run it with the coils in series, skip the plate amp and car amp and hook it to a pro amp. The wall socket provides lots of volts, so there is no need to worry about low impedance speakers and needing to have an amp that can deliver high current into a low impedance. Any respectable pro amp will handle an 8-ohm load bridged all day long. Some will handle that two-ohm load too, just not bridged.

With the L-series of drivers, the best way to know what you have is to measure it. Lots of changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I will definitely go for a pro-amp for the sub(the kicker)...now i need to sort out if I want a HT preamp or a HT receiver. I think I'll start a new post for that though ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts