AVS Forum banner

8661 - 8674 of 8674 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Also- I'm going to see if I can figure out what went wrong my two of my KAI-1Ps. If anyone is skilled in the USB signals or mini-circuit board department, let me know.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
If anyone has first hand experience with different types of D-Box, like older models, current models, 2 actuator vs 3 vs 4, I'd be interested to hear your experiences of what was more immersive, what sensations and movements one type could achieve that another couldn't, or if all could do pretty much the same things. I was under the impression 2 could move front to back, while 3 and 4 could also move side to side, but I think my understanding was not completely accurate. I will ask Mario about it, who is the best person to ask, but hearing some user experiences would be nice too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can kai-1p's be gotten anywhere currently? @MarioJaymarDBOX do you still sell them?

Also, anyone know what a Kine Control II is, or if it has an second-hand value:
View attachment 3143251
Is it just for connecting the chairs to a crestron or something?
Hello Xhonzi, PM me for more info on what happenned with your KAI1P and DBOX system only need to be re calibrated for actuator position according to where they re located, HT recliners is 2 infront 1 in back or 2 in each arms left and right, racing sim are using front to back...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If anyone has first hand experience with different types of D-Box, like older models, current models, 2 actuator vs 3 vs 4, I'd be interested to hear your experiences of what was more immersive, what sensations and movements one type could achieve that another couldn't, or if all could do pretty much the same things. I was under the impression 2 could move front to back, while 3 and 4 could also move side to side, but I think my understanding was not completely accurate. I will ask Mario about it, who is the best person to ask, but hearing some user experiences would be nice too.
4 is best. I don't have experience with 3. 2 is still really good.

The different motions from them should be relatively easy to imagine. With 2 actuators and fixed point, you can make the chair "pitch" up and down, or "roll" left and right. You also get all the vibration effects you could want.
With 3 actuators, you can do the same as 2, but also go straight up and down, not just pitch. The left/right motion might be a little more nuanced, since the third/front pivot point is moving, and not fixed.
With 4 you get the same as the others. But instead of roll left and right, it's more of a lean. Maybe hard to explain.

Source: I have 3 seats with 2 and a loveseat with 4. I don't think I've ever sat in a 3 actuator set up.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
DBOX system only need to be re calibrated for actuator position according to where they re located, HT recliners is 2 infront 1 in back or 2 in each arms left and right, racing sim are using front to back...
So a 4 actuator racing platform would work as a 4 actuator home theater platform with no reprogramming?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
4 is best. I don't have experience with 3. 2 is still really good.

The different motions from them should be relatively easy to imagine. With 2 actuators and fixed point, you can make the chair "pitch" up and down, or "roll" left and right. You also get all the vibration effects you could want.
With 3 actuators, you can do the same as 2, but also go straight up and down, not just pitch. The left/right motion might be a little more nuanced, since the third/front pivot point is moving, and not fixed.
With 4 you get the same as the others. But instead of roll left and right, it's more of a lean. Maybe hard to explain.

Source: I have 3 seats with 2 and a loveseat with 4. I don't think I've ever sat in a 3 actuator set up.
Thanks that helps a lot. What about the movie Gravity, when they are floating in space. Which D-Box types can simulate that? And by simulate, do they actually great some sort of zero-G feeling, not sure how that would work, or what is it exactly?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No chair that I know of can produce a "zero g" feeling, but both the 2 and 4 actuator chairs can produce a "smooth tumble" feeling. But the range of motion on the 4 actuator chair is greater. Hard to explain more thoroughly than that.

8661 - 8674 of 8674 Posts