AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've only watched episode 1, which is intriguing but gives away little about where the series is going. But the pedigree alone is enough to keep me in for a couple more, at least.

But there was something decidedly weird with the audio via my ATV4k, which registered on my Denon as Atmos but sounded more like 5-channel stereo. "See" using the same signal path sounded spectacular, but was was out of sync.

Anyone else with audio issues on ATV+ shows?
About Atmos

Does your Denon say it's True HD Atmos or just DD+ Atmos ?
Apparently Apple TV+ has amuch higher bitrate vs other streaming services so I was wondering if maybe this could the first streaming service to introduce True HD Atmos ? :D

Thanks

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
hopefully this turns out to be better then that Hulu space show starring Sean Penn that was cancelled after 1 season...

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
^ it's already better than that disaster, I at least got through the first three episodes of For All Mankind where I bailed before even finishing the first episode of the Sean Penn series.

·
Registered
28,182 Posts
The alt history takes some getting use to - I'll keep watching, but ???
I love the alt-history genre! I became a "Primer" because of 'The Man in the High Castle'. Read a lot of Harry Turtledove novels as well ("The Guns of the South", etc.). Another good one with Germany winning WWII is "Fatherland". They made a TV movie of it about 20 years ago starring, I think, Rutgar Hauer.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I love the alt-history genre! I became a "Primer" because of 'The Man in the High Castle'. Read a lot of Harry Turtledove novels as well ("The Guns of the South", etc.). Another good one with Germany winning WWII is "Fatherland". They made a TV movie of it about 20 years ago starring, I think, Rutgar Hauer.
Hmm...Who knows, perhaps I'll acquire a taste for it. My "agenda buster" alarm went off a few times, but once I settled in, I enjoyed the first 4.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I am really enjoying this show. Super interesting and engaging so far. This is right up my alley as shows go.

·
Registered
27,955 Posts
A friend of mine noticed this oddity in episode 5. Do people in this alternate history not use Q, O, P, A, or L in their language?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
FYI... in ep 10 about 2 min in to the closing credits there is another 1+min scene... presumably it sets up season 2.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
^ Hopefully there will be a season 2... it started off a bit slow, but then it picked up the pace and was enjoyable overall.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
We finally had time to finish this, and I was blown away.

I think that the initial Apple TV+ programming got caught in a wider critical lens that had difficulty separating each individual show from the larger questions about Apple, about the burgeoning streaming landscape (including the imminent launch of Disney+), and other issues.

Plus, of course, fewer people have access to Apple TV+ than to most other services.

So For All Mankind, I feel, got lost in a shuffle that resulted in its excellence being obscured.

This is a great piece of work, possibly the best example of the alternate history subgenre of science fiction ever made. (Yes, even better than The Man in the High Castle, with is also great.)

Everything about it was done right. The branching of history was shown clearly and believably. The resulting changes developed naturally, always based on real, recognizable technology and on proposed space programs that never happened. The human drama was moving and absorbing, with realistic characters doing understandable things. The drama was riveting. Things got so intense in the last couple of episodes it was hard to look away.

It looks and sounds great, it's well cast, and the acting performances are uniformly fine. Everything fits together.

I'm happy that Apple and its billions can pay for a second season of this. If this show had appeared on its own on Netflix or Amazon (instead of as part of the Apple TV+ rollout) I think it would have made a much bigger splash, and people would be raving about it the way we rave about The Expanse. No, it's nothing like The Expanse, but IMHO it's just as good.

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
I'm happy that Apple and its billions can pay for a second season of this. If this show had appeared on its own on Netflix or Amazon (instead of as part of the Apple TV+ rollout) I think it would have made a much bigger splash, and people would be raving about it the way we rave about The Expanse. No, it's nothing like The Expanse, but IMHO it's just as good.
I'm not sure it would have made a bigger splash on one of the other bigger streaming platforms...from what I've heard For All Mankind is a very slow burn/dialogue heavy type of series which is the main reason why it's not getting the type of mainstream recognition other shows like The Expanse do...in a way it reminds me of that Sean Penn astronaut series on Hulu which a lot of people felt was boring

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
...from what I've heard For All Mankind is a very slow burn/dialogue heavy type of series which is the main reason why it's not getting the type of mainstream recognition other shows like The Expanse do...in a way it reminds me of that Sean Penn astronaut series on Hulu which a lot of people felt was boring
What I'm saying is that if you haven't seen it then you don't know, because it's not really properly represented by the reviews and discussions, which tend to focus on peripheral issues and not on the show itself.

It's not an action show, no, but it has great visual effects, excellent period costuming and sets, compelling family drama, politics, social commentary, characters worth caring about, lots of realistic space sequences, and that incredible overlay of alternate reality that -- esecially if you were alive then -- makes it impossible to look away from.

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
finally activated my free year of Apple TV+ today...bought an Apple TV 4K on November 4th so I had 90 days to activate...For All Mankind, Servant and See are the 3 shows currently available I'm most interested in watching...sampling some of the content and the 4K Dolby Vision quality is really stunning...I hope ATV+ survives just for the amazing PQ alone

21 - 40 of 247 Posts