AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I too am surprised this show isn't getting more buzz (only *2* pages in this thread? Really?).
The first couple and last couple of episodes are riveting, but it is very engaging (alternate reality) Sci-Fi over all. Of course, once you realize the man behind it is Ronald Moore...that's not surprising at all!

Reactions: gomo657 and Don S

·
Registered
28,172 Posts
I thought it was terrific, and am anxious to see where the story will go in a second season. I really enjoy the alt-history genre, and this is a very well done example.

Glad to see Ron Moore return to his sci-fi roots after slumming in the 18th century for the last few years. ;)

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I too am surprised this show isn't getting more buzz (only *2* pages in this thread? Really?)
it's because not many people are subscribed to Apple TV+...I have a free 1 year subscription but haven't started watching any of the content yet...I did browse through and the video quality is stunning...I also like the interface...but they need to add more original content...a lot more content...at least Disney+ has their extensive back catalog of Marvel, Pixar etc to fall back on while ramping up production on original content...Apple doesn't have that luxury

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
it's because not many people are subscribed to Apple TV+...I have a free 1 year subscription but haven't started watching any of the content yet...I did browse through and the video quality is stunning...I also like the interface...but they need to add more original content...a lot more content...at least Disney+ has their extensive back catalog of Marvel, Pixar etc to fall back on while ramping up production on original content...Apple doesn't have that luxury

I am also watching via a 1-year free subscription...but definitely do NOT like the interface. At this point, we would not renew/pay for the service (and I have several other OTT channels).

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Apple TV+ Is Getting a Quarantine Boost

according to Parrot Analytics, no service is getting a bigger boost in consumer demand than Apple TV+...according to Parrot Analytics, customer demand is up for the service by the greatest proportion out of all streaming services...

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/05/17/apple-tv-is-getting-a-quarantine-boost.aspx
This is a surprise, I am also on a free one year subscription, horrible interface and the real kick in the teeth is with all the devices I have, the latest Shield, 2nd generation FireTV and my HTPC all I can get it on is the HTPC through a browser @ 1080p with PCM stereo only. I did watch For All Mankind, Amazing Stories and enjoyed them but content on the whole anemic. I would never consider paying for this.

·
Registered
28,172 Posts
I absolutely felt 'For All Mankind' was worth paying for. Although my purchase of an ATV 4K meant I didn't have to. But I will next year for the second season of this show.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I did watch For All Mankind, Amazing Stories and enjoyed them but content on the whole anemic. I would never consider paying for this.
they need a MAJOR influx of original programming...that new Tom Hanks/Spielberg WW2 mini-series might be the thing that puts Apple TV+ on the map...the 9 episode limited series follows the story of the Eighty Air Force (aka the 'Mighty Eighth') who brought the war to Hitler’s doorstep...but I will say that nothing comes close to the 4K DV streaming quality of ATV+...that alone is worth it

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
^ With production of "Masters of the Air" not even able to start, I'm just crossing my fingers I'll get to see it at all. My dad was a corporal in the Army Air Corps, assigned to the Eighth in England during WWII, and while the series is unlikely to focus on enlisted office workers (important as they were), it will still undoubtedly be a worthy tribute to those tens of thousands of young Americans who suspended their lives and ventured into the unknown in the cause of something greater than themselves.

But I guess the question at hand is whether Apple TV+ will stay alive long enough to show the series.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Apple TV+ Acquires Old TV Shows and Movies to Build Library

Apple is pivoting its strategy for Apple TV+ by acquiring older movies and TV shows for the streaming service to build up a library beyond its originals...according to Bloomberg, Apple’s streaming execs have been in talks with studios to license older titles for Apple TV+ and have already purchased some films and series, none of which are considered “huge franchises or blockbusters.”

Apple had promoted the streaming service, which costs subscribers $4.99 a month, as the first “originals-only” platform and, according to Bloomberg, the company wants to keep its focus on original content while buying up existing IP for a library that can better compete with the giant catalogs available on Netflix, Hulu and Disney+...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/apple-tv-acquiring-old-tv-151610232.html

hard to believe it took this long for the smart executives at Apple to realize that you need more then just a few originals to succeed in the streaming space

·
Registered
5,236 Posts

hard to believe it took this long for the smart executives at Apple to realize that you need more then just a few originals to succeed in the streaming space

They also need to release an APP for Android and Windows because I am not buying an ATV just for this service.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They already have. It's available on Roku and Amazon FireTV....

They do not have an Android app (or Android TV app) for the AppleTV+ subscription service. (can't even get it for my Nvidia shield) Watching it via the web browser is your only option if you have an Android device.

The AppleTV+ app is also a store. You can purchase subscription services like HBO/SHO and digital movies. I'll bet money that Apple objected to Android's POS cut- is why there's no Android app.

I too am surprised this show isn't getting more buzz (only *2* pages in this thread? Really?).

It's because no one can watch it outside of Apple's walled garden and select devices. FAM may be good content, but it's dying on the vine.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
They already have. It's available on Roku and Amazon FireTV....
Only the 3rd generation FireTV 4K stick. I have 3 FireTV's 1 first gen box, two 2nd gen 4K boxes and the latest Shield none supported. The only way I can watch is through my Win10 HTPC browser @ 1080p PCM stereo.

·
Registered
21,215 Posts
Thanks to a tip in another thread, I finally got onto For All Mankind today. I have watched Episode 1 and loved it. The more you know about the history of the real US space program, the more interesting this reimagined version becomes. The writers and show runners have paid careful attention to the life and times of the early astronauts and it shows in this fine show. I can hardly wait to see the rest of Season 1.

·
Registered
19,664 Posts
I have a free year of ATV+ that I've yet to activate. I want to get to this show. There's just a plethora of stuff to watch at the moment.

·
Registered
28,172 Posts
I have a free year of ATV+ that I've yet to activate. I want to get to this show. There's just a plethora of stuff to watch at the moment.
Move it to the top of the list. You can bump "Tiger King" & "Real Housewives of Quarantine County" out of the way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This was one of my most anticipated shows when it came out and due to lukewarm reviews I shelved it. Big mistake!Only 2 episodes left and I have to say it's one of the best shows I've seen in years. I love the time period , alternate history and the acting / production are top notch.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
This was one of my most anticipated shows when it came out and due to lukewarm reviews I shelved it. Big mistake!Only 2 episodes left and I have to say it's one of the best shows I've seen in years. I love the time period , alternate history and the acting / production are top notch.
It was unfortunate that For All Mankind got caught up in the tide of tepid reactions to the AppleTV+ service as a whole. I firmly believe that had it appeared on its own on, say, Amazon Prime, with appropriate promotion, it would have been a major hit.

Happily, there will be a second season. Hopefully, Apple will promote the hell out of it. Unfortunately, it can’t be a major hit without wider distribution.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Thanks to a tip in another thread, I finally got onto For All Mankind today. I have watched Episode 1 and loved it. The more you know about the history of the real US space program, the more interesting this reimagined version becomes. The writers and show runners have paid careful attention to the life and times of the early astronauts and it shows in this fine show. I can hardly wait to see the rest of Season 1.
This will make your summer, for sure. And yes, the mix of historical and fictional characters just makes it more interesting. This, too, gets deeper and richer as the season progresses.

41 - 60 of 246 Posts