AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello for all those that bought their F38310 through the Digital Jam 2 rebate. They are sending the RCA RC6000P Progressive Scan DVD player. It has 2X, 4X DVD Zoom + Function, with ability to pan left/right, up/down while in zoom mode. Dolby Digital© 5.1 Decoder Built-in. 10 bit video to analog converter.

96kHz, 24 Bit Audio Digital to analog converter. 3-D Surround, shuttle dial, Optical Digital Output. Plays DVD discs, Audio CD,

Video CD, CD-R discs-These are the discs you use to download MP3 files to. Composite, S-Video, and 2 sets of Component (Y,Pr,Pb) outputs are on back of player. Player comes with 1 set of composite Y,R,W and 1 S-Video (3 feet).

Front of unit has controls, electonic door and 1/4 inch headphone with volume level. Universal remote control with DTS capatible Region 1. You can view it at www.rca.com fill in 'search' with RC6000P it will come up. You can go to specs and read what there is which has a lot more than was on the outside of the box. In 3 languages besides English, there is Spanish and French.

They said 10-12 weeks, but my sending a Certified signature return receipt requested card, might have helped them send it much sooner. July 3, 2001 was on the green receipt. Today is July 24, 3 week turn around on delivery

BTW RCA M.S.R.P. is $550, not bad for a rebate. Has every bell and whistle I know of except DVD-A!

Question 1 do you think this progressive player will provide a better view than a Sony CX860 DVD Changer?

Question 2. Why are there 2 sets of component video outputs on the deck, one say progressive scan 525P(480P)video, the other just says Component Video Output both have Y,Pr,Pb. This is the only set of cables that didn't come with the player?

------------------

Hob for Hobby

[This message has been edited by hob (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried this baby it really kicks A**, all of the features it has really surprizes me that they gave this free, as a rebate for purchasing HDTV brings $2999 price down $550.

Can any one tell me what brand of component switcher would allow me to hook up both DVD players, I now own please supply URL to purchase.

TIA http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

[This message has been edited by hob (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like your obvious pleasure with the free DVD offer from RCA. Eventually you may see that the street value for this and all similar progressive scan players will soon be $250 or less.

It needs to be connected to your TV's high-speed component input using the progressive out on the player in order to get the highest quality picture currently available using prerecorded material in a mainstream product.

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay Rick but what about my other DVD player it to has a Y,Pr,Pb output. I need a 4 into one component converter. One other question is the DVD has 2 sets of component out, what is the other set of Y,Pr,Pb for? I don't have a clue, because it's a output, not a input. Rick you got any ideas for either of the 2 questions above?

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
25 Posts
RickZ writes:

“I like your obvious pleasure with the free DVD offer from RCA. Eventually you may see that the street value for this and all similar progressive scan players will soon be $250 or less.â€

Looks like it is already very close. The below link to Walmart.com shows it listed at just $279. Not a bad price at all. If the link doesn’t work, just go to Walmart.com and follow their links to their DVD players’ section.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...4552&dept=3944

Cheers,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob:
One other question is the DVD has 2 sets of component out, what is the other set of Y,Pr,Pb for? I don't have a clue, because it's a output, not a input. Rick you got any ideas for either of the 2 questions above?

hob,

I believe the difference between the two sets of components jacks is that one set outputs progressive (540p), while the other outputs the standard 480i DVD standard. Probably for people who want to use an external line doubler.

Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have taken apart my free RCA RC6000P; it uses the 3 chip Genesis set (gm VLx1A-x; gm CP2; gm AFMC) for progressively displaying film 3:2 interlacing. It has a C-Cube ZiVA-4.1 for other DVD functions. The progressive outputs are one the same board with all of the chips. All of the other outputs are on another board with no chips but a bunch of what looks like resisters.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob:
Thanks Rick and Andy, now how about a component switcher for at least 4 devices with component output to my HDTVs only 1 Y-Pr-Pb input.

Why 4 well 2 DVD players, I'm buying a computer soon with an audio authority vga to component transcoder to put my HTPC all together on this working great fully integrated HDTV that I own.

How about it could you give me some URls to follow, I can order by credit card today. Tell you all about my experiences in a product review. Sima won't have theirs by fall, Audio authority doesn't have one. The people that do will have a month of sundays in orders from persons like me that are in the same boat!

Well, Extron sells a 6-to-1...powered...here is a link for

the product:
http://www.extron.com/product/produc...w6cs&subtype=5

Or Inline has several models available, but here is a link to their 4-to-1. I know several people in the forums have used these.
http://www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3556.htm

I don't have any experience with switches. I would definitely recommend doing a search for component switches in this forum and in the Home Theater PC forum. I have seen several posts of people successfully using 2- and 4-to-1 switches. Most of them are fairly high-end and in the $200-500 range though.

Andrew

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK my friends here is what I found out with the help of Andrew, this the fir of two posts as my Ram couldn't hold two loacations of text. The first being more expensive, but you high end guys will be able to read what is printed. Cut, copy, and paste with the companies exact lettering on it no flubs on my part. Their free phone line is 1-800-653-9876 or http://www.extron.com here it goes

SW 6 Component

SIX INPUT COMPONENT/HDTV SWITCHER WITH INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY & RS-232 CONTROL

Extron's SW 6 Component is a bi-directional, analog active switcher with six inputs, 180 MHz (-3dB) RGB video bandwidth, and built-in RS-232 control.

PART NUMBERS

Â*SW 6 ComponentÂ*60-309-01

Â*

Click to enlarge imagePrintable Version

Â*OverviewÂ*Â*DescriptionÂ*Â*FeaturesÂ*

Â*SpecificationsÂ*

Â*DiagramÂ*Â*Panel DrawingÂ*Â*

VideoGainÂ*UnityBandwidthÂ*180 MHz (-3dB), fully loadedCrosstalkÂ*-70dB @ 10 MHz

Video inputNumber/signal typeÂ*6 analog RGsB, component (R-Y, B-Y, Y), S-video, NTSC/PAL/SECAMcomposite videoConnectorsÂ*6: x 3 BNC femaleMinimum/maximum levelsÂ*Analog: -5.0V to +5.0V p-p with no offsetImpedanceÂ*75 ohmsHorizontal frequencyÂ*15 kHz to 145 kHzVertical frequencyÂ*30 Hz to 170 HzReturn lossÂ*-30dB @ 10 MHz

Video outputNumber/signal typeÂ*1 analog RGsB, component (R-Y, B-Y, Y), S-video, NTSC/PAL/SECAMcomposite videoConnectorsÂ*3 BNC femaleMinimum/maximum levelsÂ*Analog: -5.0V to +5.0V p-pImpedanceÂ*75 ohmsReturn lossÂ*-30dB @ 5 MHzDC offsetÂ*±5mV maximum with input at 0 offset

SyncInput typeÂ*6 analog RGsB, component (R-Y, B-Y, Y)Output typeÂ*1 analog RGsB, component (R-Y, B-Y, Y)StandardsÂ*NTSC, PAL, SECAMInput levelÂ*0.5V to 5V p-pOutput levelÂ*Same as inputInput impedanceÂ*510 ohmsOutput impedanceÂ*75 ohms

Control/remote — switcherSerial control portÂ*RS-232, 9-pin D female connectorBaud rate and protocolÂ*9600, 8-bit, 1 stop bit, no paritySerial control pin configurationsÂ*TX = 2,: RX = 3, GND = 5Contact closureÂ*25-pin D female connectorExtron remote key pad controlÂ*Extron KP 10 keypad: connects to the 25-pin D female connectorIR controller moduleÂ*Extron IR 101: connects to the RS-232 9-pin D female connectorProgram controlÂ*Extron's control program for Windows®Extron's Simple Instruction Setâ„¢ _ SISâ„¢

GeneralPowerÂ*100VAC to 240VAC, 50/60 Hz, 10 watts,: internal, auto-switchableTemperature/humidityÂ*Storage -40° to +158°F (-40° to +70°C) / 10% to 90%, non-condensingOperating +32° to +122°F (0° to +50°C) / 10% to 90%, non-condensingRack mountÂ*Yes, with optional 2U front panel #60-141-01, or 2U universal rack shelf #60-032-01Enclosure typeÂ*MetalEnclosure dimensionsÂ*3.4" H x 8.4" W x 6.25" D8.5 cm H x 21.4 cm: W x 15.9 cm D(Depth excludes connectors.)Shipping weightÂ*6 lbs (2.7 kg)VibrationÂ*ISTA/NSTA 1A in carton (International Safe Transit Association)

Approvals: UL, CUL, CE, FCC Class A, CSAMTBFÂ*30,000 hoursWarrantyÂ*2 years parts and laborExtron part numberÂ*60-309-01(7.2-052101-D3)

Their retail price on this is $895

I will no go back to the other company and do the same their 2 for 1 is $325 and 4 for is $575

a bit cheaper for souls that can't afford the extron.

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the 2nd page of switchers http://www.inlineinc.com 1-800-882-7117 is the free call.

I will paste all I have in memory Their chief switchers that would work for me and ? Part #IN 3582 is the 2 to 1 switcher cost $325. The 4 to 1 switcher goes for $575 part # IN3504. Here is all that they have in switchers. This a cut and copy any mistakes in print are the companies.

Composite Video & S-Video Switchers

IN3526vi-6-In 1-Out Composite / S-Video Switcher with RS-232 Control, Vertical Interval Switching and Auto SequencingIN3592-2-In 1-Out Composite Video Auto Switcher

Stereo Audio Switchers

IN3546R-6-In 1-Out Stereo Audio Switcher

VGA Switchers

IN3562R-2-In 1-Out VGA Switcher - 500 MHzIN3563e-3-In 1-Out VGA Switcher - 300 MHzIN3662-2-In 2-Out VGA Switcher with Buffered Local Monitor Outputs - 400 MHzIN3564HR-4-In 1-Out VGA Switcher with Manual / Auto Switching Modes - 350 MHzIN3566HR-6-In 1-Out VGA Switcher with Manual / Auto Switching Modes - 350 MHzIN3666-6-In 1-Out VGA Switcher with RS-232 Control - 300MHz

RGBS Switchers

IN3504-4-In 1-Out RGBS Switcher - 500 MHzIN3506-6-In 1-Out RGBS Switcher - 500 MHzIN3606-6-In 1-Out RGBS Switcher with RS-232 Control - 300 MHzIN3582-2-In 1-Out RGBS Auto Switcher - 280 MHz

RGBHV Switchers

IN3552R-2-In 1-Out RGBHV Switcher - 650 MHzIN3554-4-In 1-Out RGBHV Switcher - 500 MHzIN3556-6-In 1-Out RGBHV Switcher - 500 MHzIN3654-4-In 1-Out RGBHV Switcher with RS-232 Serial Control - 300 MHzIN3656-6-In 1-Out RGBHV Switcher with RS-232 Serial Control - 300 MHz

Matrix Switchers - Presentation Switcher Series

IN20804-8-In 4-Out Matrix Switcher for Video / S-Video & Stereo Audio - 100 MHzIN21608-16-In 8-Out Matrix Switcher for Video / S-Video & Stereo Audio - 100 MHzIN3804-8-In 4-Out Presentation Switcher for RGBHV & Balanced / Unbalanced Stereo Audio - 350 MHzIN3808-8-In 4-Out Presentation Switcher for RGBHV & Balanced / Unbalanced Stereo Audio with Dual Connectors for Each Output - 350 MHzIN31208-12-In 8-Out Presentation Switcher for RGBHV & Balanced / Unbalanced Stereo - 350 MHzIN31608-16-In 8-Out Presentation Switcher for RGBHV & Balanced / Unbalanced Stereo Audio - 350 MHz

Matrix Switchers - Reconfigurable Matrices

IN60000HR-Pathfinder HR Series High Resolution Reconfigurable Matrix Switchers - 200 MHz

Switcher & Matrix Accessories

Software-Setup & Control Software for Presentation Switchers and Pathfinder Reconfigurable Matrix SwitchersAccessories-Input / Output / Adapter Cables, Power Accessories, Mounting Hardware, Wired Remote Control & Engravable Labeling Plates

My thanks to Andrew for giving me the URLs choose just what you want the Extron is used by government. The inlininc has the cheaper prices if you don't need a 6 to 1. If you do Their $895 would fall inline with inlininc prices.

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My Onkyo 989 has a 3 to 1 component switcher. I'll be receiving my F38310 shortly. If the dvd player rebate is still in effect, that'll leave me with 1 opening--I must use it wisely.

JediMastr

------------------

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You sure about that Onkyo, I was paging through my Home Theatre the onkyo there showed 2 inputs of components and one set of component 'outputs'

Jedi Mastr you better look at the back one again, maybe it wasn't the same model, but if it was then you only have 2. May the force be with you, Live long and prosper. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Rick and Andy, now how about a component switcher for at least 4 devices with component output to my HDTVs only 1 Y-Pr-Pb input.

Why 4 well 2 DVD players, I'm buying a computer soon with an audio authority vga to component transcoder to put my HTPC all together on this working great fully integrated HDTV that I own.

How about it could you give me some URls to follow, I can order by credit card today. Tell you all about my experiences in a product review. Sima won't have theirs by fall, Audio authority doesn't have one. The people that do will have a month of sundays in orders from persons like me that are in the same boat!

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jay. I have some news about how the RC6000P performs against a Sony DVD changer. Their is no discernable differnce in picture at all!!! I am using a 1 DVD to HDTV 1 meter Silver serpent cable for component input on F38310.

What's the big deal on using a progressive scan 1 disc or a Sony CX860 300 Disc Changer?

I presently have the new RC6000P on S-Video input, by turning down the contrast. I now have 'same' almost digital picture as I have with the Sony now going through the 1 meter component set of 3 the the components input on F38310.

I guess I'll use the slow loading RC6000P for guests when they come over.

I am so disapointed that I have been told that a progressive scan DVD plyer would give me a better picture, but it does not!

My interlaced 300 dvd chager is online ready to go with over 200 discs in it, It will give the same almost digital picture using the silver serpent cable, maybe it's the cable that is giving me such a open window on a clear day view.

Unless I want to put a computer on this tv I won't need to look for a switcher. BTW I used the same settings on contrast and now the Webtv is almost a digtal picture also as it's connected through a s-video cable. Absolutely no flicker like it was doing before.

Gentlemen it seems to be how the F38310 settings are in to give you the clearest picture imaginable.

BTW I tested 2 DVDs The Matrix and Getaway all about colorful sky diving, the para sails were extremely colorful. The shots to the side and down looking at the city or ocean were 'digital' in appearance on both machines, but the progressive did got give a better view. Just the same almost digital view, while hooked to the component. When I hooked up the S-video cables and turned down the contrast, the RC6000P showed the same almost digital picture. The webtv is excellent also I feel I have a HTWB (web browser) in full mode, I am viewing from 6 feet away. All 3 Sony DVD in component, RC6000P in S-Video and webtv in S-Video

Gentlemen this F38310 HDTV is 'something else' that we own! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

BTW I'm using my Sharp Vhs vcr by turning down the contrast, almost all the way down. Plus lowering picture, using the black level and view preference. I am getting a S-Vhs performance out of plain vhs machine. It seems to work best by the indivual users preference on remotes purple buttons on picture quality. I now have Vid-1 Webtv, vid-2 Vhs vcr, vid-3 RC6000P I am now using all 3 of the regular inputs and the one set of component input from DVD 300 Changers component output, all are working to my complete satisfaction, on this great buy of ours. Hip Hip Hoorah http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I now I have a back up DVD should my Sony Changer fail. Any other comments would be appreciated. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hob,

I have to agree with Frank above. It is not clear from your description whether you ever tried the RCA using component outputs period. I personally have the P61310 (and am eagerly awaiting my DVD player), so am not familiar with your TV input layout, but from your description you have it hooked up via VID3, which would mean S-Video. Did you hook it via component at all, and if so, was it the progressive outputs?

Thank you for your in-depth review, just a little clarification is needed.

Andrew

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Frank, Andy I have no switch but I have set of 2 component jacks on the 6000P one says 525P(480P) the other component says nothing except Y below that it says Pr then on lower right it says Pb.

When I hooked it up I put the silver serpent 1 meter cable set of 3 into the 525P into the only Y-Pr-Pb component input on the 38310. Then I tried the 480P component from 6000 to hdtv only set of components no difference.

I expected to see a vastly improved picture, but both looked almost digital absolutely no scanning lines even when I hit pause!!!

I then put the Sony player with the still connected Y-Pr-Pb (F38310) with the Sonys Y-Pr-Pb component output and got the same almost digital picture. I also tried manipulating the webtv that was also into the S-Video and got the webtv to stop flickering an a equally digital looking page here on AVS forum!

That's why I posted that question a couple of weeks ago. Why am I getting an almost digital picture with I.L. Sony dvd changer?

I have been totally honest with everybody here at AVS, but someone hasn't been able to figure out why a non interlaced player can be on the exact same scale as a fully Progressive scan DVD using the component input jacks with a component set of 1 meter silver serpent from www.bettercables.com

or go to http://www.rca.com and look at the specs of both the F38310 or RC6000P are.

Maybe someone missed something, I am going to use the RC6000P as back up player. Should my changer ever have problems, I have it above and un plugged. It's still connected to S-Video #3 on F38310.

That's false information, I was ready to buy a Iscan pro to do line doubling on my interlaced DVD that money, would have been a total waste on my or anyone else

that purchased this Magic F38310! I hope all this information is helpful I seen my eye doctor about 3 months ago, and my vision is still 20/20!

------------------

Hob for Hobby

[This message has been edited by hob (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hob,

In your comparison, it isn't clear if you actually looked at the RCA's progressive output. The progressive output is only available from the progressive componenet outputs. All other outputs, e.g. s-video, are 480i.

To complete your comparison, try switching the Sony to s-video and the RCA to progressive component. Note that there is a switch on the back of the RCA that will have to change to see a picture on the progressive outputs. This will blank the interlaced component output and all the other 480i outs (I think).

In general, progressive output from a DVD should look better because the progressive conversion is done in the digital domain before being converted to analog outputs. When 480i is used, the line doubler in the 38310 converts the signal back to digital, doubles, then converts back to analog (again). There is some picture degredation in each conversion, plus the 38310s doubler does not have access to video/film conversion flags in the digital stream that help in the 480i to 480p conversion (though they are sometimes set incorrectly on the DVD).

Frank L

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the clarification hob.

I called Digital Jam yesterday to find out why I had not received my player yet. They had my address screwed up and it had been returned. Supposed to be shipped out today via 2-day air. Should get it on Monday then.

Again, I have the P61310 TV, but I will post a review of the player as well. My current player is a Sony DVP-S550D.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.