AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with the boxes? I have recycled a few boxes and i really want to recycle more of them because they take up so much space. I'm not sure about moving, as would be of course useful to have the original boxes, but they take up so much space. What do you do??

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
To the chagrin of my wife,I save all my boxes. If service is needed you must ship most with the original packing for warranty work. It also makes it easier to sell a used piece of equipment.

The boxes can be recycled when I am:).

Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
I save every box as well. I've moved several times and am very glad that I have the original boxes. They help to prevent damage. I even keep the speaker boxes which are quite large. We have one area of the attic dedicated to boxes for stereo, electronics, etc.

Also, they do come in handy the couple of times I've shipped back to manufacturer for upgrade or repair.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The Diva boxes are pretty much the size of refrigerator cartons, and still sitting in my garage. I hate throwing away ANY electronics boxes. I mean how could you even think of it? I do think my wife throws some away occasionally, and I don't say anything because we'd never be able to park. I just can't do it myself.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a topic eh? You think I'm asking too many questions? Well, really, I am trying to clean the basement, so naturally, I thought I should do something with these darn boxes.

Well, like I said, I threw away and recycled the biggest one. My 32" TV's box. Oh well. That and the box for my 19" PC monitor. They were big enough that I could have fit inside them myself! I can even remember the boxes for my old Boston Acoustics speakers stayed around for at least 6 years. I just crammed all the boxes for my speakers into the ceiling in the garage. I'll probably put all the component boxes there too and they'll stay there until I move.

thanks for the exciting input ! :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I save all my boxes too. I recently received in the span of a few days...

Onkyo TX-DS696

Diva 6.1's

Diva 2.1's

C3

dual SVS 20-39PC's

Samson amp

EQ

...and I live in an apartment. I stuck all the boxes on my balcony (which is on the third floor). From everybody else's balcony, it looked like "The Wall" from the Pink Floyd Live in Berlin vid :) Needless to say, I got a message from the manager saying to remove them quite quickly. Now I keep them in the warehouse at work :)

Sean

·
Registered
360 Posts
I too just recently moved and it was VERY nice to have all the boxes saved much to the dismay of my fiance'. My dealer has a great trade in policy and having the box is part of the deal so I HAVE to keep it!

Michael

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I have review gear coming in, on top of my theaters worth of components, and I have an affinity for large planar radiating speakers.

Attic? No, it's the box storage room .

My basement, that's where the review sample boxes go.

The sacrifices we reviewers have to make (yes guys this is a bit of sarcasm).

Seriously, boxes are worth keeping IMO, for shipping / moving etc. Many manufacturers can send you a replacement box, and will not charge you a ridiculous sum for one.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yep,

Ditto. I have all my boxes of the ELECTRONIC equipment and speakers only. All the other stuff is disposable but the electronic equipement stuff has to stay. I am an apartment dweller. So I put mine in storage :D (Once I had a table made of boxes :eek: )

·
Registered
468 Posts
I try to save the box for the span of the warranty. I have limited storage space, and a lot of other junk that I think I need. Usually when I get something new, it's box replaces the box from the previous item purchased. I used to save all my boxes when I was younger and moved alot, but have only moved once in the past 20 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I'll print this thread out and show it to my wife so she know I'm the only one. :)

I even have boxes for stuff I no longer have. My 1k sq ft unfinished portion of the basement is full of boxes. One of these days I'll collapse them so I can store even more boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pull out all of the styrofoam pieces from your equipment boxes, labeling each piece as you go as to the particular box/equipment the styrofoam goes with, and keep related pieces together.

Stack the styrofoam nicely and put it in a big plastic bag. I have one really huge bag that was wrapped around my 32" tv. If you don't have something like that, then you can also use one of your larger equipment boxes.

Cut the tape on your boxes and collapse them.

Store.

You'll find that this method allows you to keep everything and take up actually very little space in the attic/garage.

Another personal organizational tip: Staple or tape the receipt for major equipment purchases inside the front cover of the instruction/installation manual.

I'm just here to help you people out. :)

enjoy.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, its great to have professionals here to talk to about my technical problems. Really is important to sort things out in this high tech world!

Seriously though, this is a concern for many people. I like the idea of crushing all the boxes up and storing the styrofoam together. I also put smaller boxes in larger boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL.

If I knew anything technical worth posting, you know I would.

Seriously, though, I've been sucking information off this site for weeks as I prepare to purchase my first HT system, so I'm just glad to be able to give a little something back.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you do decide to throw your boxes away, take them to the recycling place or cardboard dumpster at work yourself. Sometimes the trash guys have friends so it might not be a good idea to leave them all on the curb, especially if you get a bunch at one time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.