AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not really interested in being a selling agent for any retailor, but in case anyone here is interested, I noticed today that B&H has two used DMR EH DVD recorders. One is an EH59, the other is an EH69. I have been unable to recommend B&H for the last year or more as their prices have exceeded World Import, Gandhi and maybe others. These used machines are of good quality as listed (usually returns from people who don't understand how to use them, or who mistakenly thought that they were equipped with an HD tuner) and their prices are reasonable, or at least what goes for reasonable these days. The (unreasonable) new prices for the EH59 / EH69 are $365-$400 / $430-$460, but the used prices currently at B&H are $320 / $370.

There are only one of each though, and used machines come up rarely these days, which is why I am bringing it up here. If anyone was thinking about getting one of these, now is the time. A few years ago, they were priced $150 less than this, but that was then, and this is now.

I have purchased more than one of my EH59s from B&H used, and they have been worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I am not really interested in being a selling agent for any retailor, but in case anyone here is interested, I noticed today that B&H has two used DMR EH DVD recorders. One is an EH59, the other is an EH69. I have been unable to recommend B&H for the last year or more as their prices have exceeded World Import, Gandhi and maybe others. These used machines are of good quality as listed (usually returns from people who don't understand how to use them, or who mistakenly thought that they were equipped with an HD tuner) and their prices are reasonable, or at least what goes for reasonable these days. The (unreasonable) new prices for the EH59 / EH69 are $365-$400 / $430-$460, but the used prices currently at B&H are $320 / $370.

There are only one of each though, and used machines come up rarely these days, which is why I am bringing it up here. If anyone was thinking about getting one of these, now is the time. A few years ago, they were priced $150 less than this, but that was then, and this is now.

I have purchased more than one of my EH59s from B&H used, and they have been worked perfectly.
OK what about the black level??

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The international Panasonics have many features that are odd to us in North America. The Black level "bug" is one, the international date of dd/mm/yy rather than mm/dd/yy, the 24 hour clock, no usable tuner, are among these.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a DMR-ES18 that I use mostly as a passthrough unit. The only time I record to it is if I'm making a PAL DVD for a customer (which I rarely need to do), or if I'm recording from MiniDV tapes - the black level from MiniDV players' analog output is 0 IRE, or at least that's how I understand it. So the ES18 works nicely for DV transfers. But, it still has bitrate spikes, the same as all non-LSI ES machines, when recording less than, say, 1 hr 40 minutes of video. So I have to be careful there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts