AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on a whim last week and was pleasantly surprised. This movie is based on the novel "For Colored Girls who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf" by Ntozake Shange, which novel I've heard of, but never read.

I found it rich, complex and quite dialog driven. As it progressed, I detected two things: much of the spoken lines were "poetically" lifted directly from the book, which gave it a very different but very nice "flow", and though set in contemporary times, they had a bit of a throwback vibe. I was informed the novel was written in the 70s.

It mainly consists of several female characters with differing issues, who through their circumstances become interconnected and stronger.

Checking over at IMDB, it currently doesn't have a very high rating. And I'm not sure if that's because most of the men in the movie are "villified" (my only complaint).

Though not mainstream, it's somewhat heavy-handed and definitely not for little children. And despite its title, isn't just for colored girls. I enjoyed it immensely, and I can assure you I'm not a girl.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It was actually a poem first, then a play, then a novel. That's why the dialog is so lyrical.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.