1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is not a rant to the original poster. Any tweaking suggestions is always appreciated. With Crysis Warhead coming out though the whole "system requirement" debate is sprouting again in many different media outlets and I wanted throw in my 2 cents.

That being said, for God's sake, can we stop whining about Crysis system requirements? Do the people that gripe that it's not playable ever even try it or did they just assume it wouldn't work? I played it Crysis on my 3.5 year old, 6800GT (256mb), Pentium IV 2.8, 1.5 GB ram on low settings and it was perfectly playable. Now before you say "yeah, low settings!" remember that low settings on any other game (at the time) would have been high settings. The game looked amazing at these low settings. Honestly, I was shocked that these were considered "low settings" because it looked amazing.

I then built a beefier rig 8800GT, E6850, 2GB ram, etc and ran it perfectly smooth at high settings and to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell much of a difference between low and high, they both looked great. The explosions looked a nicer and the draw distance was a bit more clearer, but other than that not much difference.

The gameplay and the story itself were both incredible (yes even the linear alien second half). I have to say it ranks up there in my "top games of all time list".

I realize that no one wants to play a game on low settings (myself included), but from my experience people need to stop crying and actually try it to appreciate that it's not that bad. If you just listen to the nahsayers and never try it yourself then you will be missing out. The people that claim that Crysis won't run on their 6 month old $3000+ gaming rig just simply cannot be the case. If I can get eye candy on almost 4 year old system, then I'd assume most people can. Just because you can't run it on "ultra high settings" with your $3k+ machine should not be reflected as "the game sucks" or "Crytek sucks". You got more for your money, whip de do. Someone on another post used the Ferrari analogy...I'll use it too. You buy a Ferrari and it can go 200mph, but since you can't go faster than the posted speed limit do you get mad at Ferrari for making a car that you can't fully utilize it's potential?

I'm done now

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/14237526

This is not a rant to the original poster. Any tweaking suggestions is always appreciated. With Crysis Warhead coming out though the whole "system requirement" debate is sprouting again in many different media outlets and I wanted throw in my 2 cents.

That being said, for God's sake, can we stop whining about Crysis system requirements? Do the people that gripe that it's not playable ever even try it or did they just assume it wouldn't work? I played it Crysis on my 3.5 year old, 6800GT (256mb), Pentium IV 2.8, 1.5 GB ram on low settings and it was perfectly playable. Now before you say "yeah, low settings!" remember that low settings on any other game (at the time) would have been high settings. The game looked amazing at these low settings. Honestly, I was shocked that these were considered "low settings" because it looked amazing.

I then built a beefier rig 8800GT, E6850, 2GB ram, etc and ran it perfectly smooth at high settings and to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell much of a difference between low and high, they both looked great. The explosions looked a nicer and the draw distance was a bit more clearer, but other than that not much difference.

The gameplay and the story itself were both incredible (yes even the linear alien second half). I have to say it ranks up there in my "top games of all time list".

I realize that no one wants to play a game on low settings (myself included), but from my experience people need to stop crying and actually try it to appreciate that it's not that bad. If you just listen to the nahsayers and never try it yourself then you will be missing out. The people that claim that Crysis won't run on their 6 month old $3000+ gaming rig just simply cannot be the case. If I can get eye candy on almost 4 year old system, then I'd assume most people can. Just because you can't run it on "ultra high settings" with your $3k+ machine should not be reflected as "the game sucks" or "Crytek sucks". You got more for your money, whip de do. Someone on another post used the Ferrari analogy...I'll use it too. You buy a Ferrari and it can go 200mph, but since you can't go faster than the posted speed limit do you get mad at Ferrari for making a car that you can't fully utilize it's potential?

I'm done now

OT:

I have the hardware to run Crysis at a reasonable FPS at 1920z1200. I enjoyed the game for what it was...nothing special or spectactuer. Just the game was so over hyped that many pple thght it would/should have been better. The story wasnt engaging at all for me. It was fun with the nano suit at 1st, but I would have prob pref if I didnt have the nano suit but just plain old body armour...would have made the game a lot more intresting and challenging...IMO. But thats just me...
. May pick up Warhead when it gets descounted like I did with Crysis.

Back on topic...just that this tweak not only improves FPS but "Image" quality for each setting. Still havent had the time to reload Crysis to try this mod tho

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Here is a link to a dx10 hack for xp that I am using. It is optimized for a little better performance. Really looks amazing and I am getting 20-40 fps with a 8800 GTS 512 (G92), 2 GB Ram, E4500 C2D OC'd to 3.46.

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=13790

I posted this in another thread as well. Like the OP said it enhances graphics and performance. I am playing thru Crysis with this mod right now on my plasma at 1366x768. Best looking game I have ever seen. I would suggest turning down the resolution if possible on your system to get a better framerate. Anyway, just saying that the game still looks great at a lower resolution with this mod in place and a smooth playable framerate is possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Crysis likes raw gpu power based on several different facets of a computer system. I'm impartial to believing in the fact that your GPU is the source of great performance in crysis, custom configs or no. Run the damn game in DX9 mode for better performance and play it on a really nice plasma tv or something and it will take care of the rest.

My current specs are:

[email protected]

-4gb patriot extreme performance [email protected]

-2 WD1500A Raptors in Raid 0

-P5E Deluxe

-xtreme gamer fatal1ty professional series

-XFX GTX 280 w/water cooled kit (done @home)

-Windows Vista 64bit x86

-Sony optical drive

-PN50a550/Acer 22" lcd

Not running ANY configs or anything and getting 20-70fps in DX9 and roughly 10-45fps in DX10. DX9 feels really really immursive, dx10 more just a slower, tiny bit better looking experience. Although I can't run EVERYTHING at 'Very High' Settings, I can do what matters... Textures, Object Detail, Shaders, Post Processing, Game Effects, and Sound Quality, All at Very High with that setup and it plays pretty decent. What can I do with this setup to get optimal results?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I played through Crysis on a P4 3.0 with 2Mb ram and a radeon X850 1900x1200 with quite a few things turned down but it was perfectly playable ( not sure I would want to use it for multiplayer but slowdown on the campaign was minimal and not problematic and this was on the higher difficulty levels)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I got stuck in the 'zero G' section of the game a few months ago and still haven't figured out how to get past it...

Maybe the improved performance will help...

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher /forum/post/14391598

I got stuck in the 'zero G' section of the game a few months ago and still haven't figured out how to get past it...

Maybe the improved performance will help...

Street

Follow the lights and flow with the game....

·
Registered
957 Posts
The game is really not that bad.

The problem is that so many people see PC Gaming as "I have to run every single game I play at the highest resolution possible and all settings turned up to max, or it's not worth it." When of course that is not the case. You can have a perfectly enjoyable experience on the PC on the lower resolutions. Hell 1280 x 720 is EASY to do on the PC now, and that's what pretty much every Xbox 360/PS3 game runs at. And of course a lot of these people who do the complaining about PC gaming never had, or have never tried to have a PC that is actually built towards playing games.

I have a: x2 6000, 2gb RAM, ati 4850, and I play Crysis at 1920 x 1080 w/ most settings turned on high, and it runs great. And my PC would be totally affordable to most anyone who cares about playing games. It's just easier for people to assume it's impossible rather than actually try for themselves.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldirtgods /forum/post/14347778

My current specs are:

[email protected]

-4gb patriot extreme performance [email protected]

-2 WD1500A Raptors in Raid 0

-P5E Deluxe

-xtreme gamer fatal1ty professional series

-XFX GTX 280 w/water cooled kit (done @home)
-Windows Vista 64bit x86

-Sony optical drive

-PN50a550/Acer 22" lcd

Is this a typo?

I'm a noob to the gaming PC community, and I thought 64-bit OS was x64, and 32-bit OS was x86.

Just curious...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts