AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my DVD player I bought it since it is the new medium. I wasn't considering upgrading my Pro-Logic receiver to Dolby Digital. I only have the front and center speakers and have no immediate plans to get rears or a sub. However, I haven't been happy with the sound. I realized that most discs don't have Pro-Logic or even 2-channel sound options. Does the dolby-digital signal coming out of a DVD player really sound bad thru a pro-logic or 2-channel amp receiver?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Many receivers have decoding for three channel sound. Dolby Digital is really the way to go. Unless there are economic or physical reasons for your reluctance to add the addl speakers, I would get there! If your receiver is digital ready, you could buy an outboard processor on Ebay for less than a hundred bucks. I just sold a nice Sony for $72.00 plus Shipping.

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
AudioTyro,

You don't mention what model player or receiver you have. You'd probably get better suggestions if you named them.

Most DVD players include stereo analog outputs which are ProLogic, downmixed by the DVD player from the DD tracks. Unfortunately, many of the less expensive DVD players have rather poor DACs and analog circuitry. I suspect that's your problem.

Used Dolby Digital receivers (without DTS support) are often available at quite reasonable prices. Check with your local audio stores. They probably have several from people who've traded up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Normally I would state that it depends on the receiver and the Player as previously mentioned. Some players and receivers do a bad job in down converting from Dolby Digital to stereo or Dolby Prologic. In this case I would say it's time to move on and step into the world of Dolby Digital. The standard receivers has Dolby Digital and DTS now and they don't cost alot. Depending on what speakers you have for the front, you can pick up a pair of bookshelf speakers for surrounds cheap and get the full effect. I don't care what anyone says, you simply can't go wrong with a slight upgrade.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Even running 3 channels you could get better sound switching to digital. Right now your dvd player is converting 6 channels into 2 then your pro logic is converting from 2 channels into "4" . Your center channel is basically just the mono information of the left and right. With a digital receiver you could set the rear speakers to no and the subwoofer to no. Then your center channel would actually be discrete from the left and right.

romeo1, is that unicron?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 6 year old Pioneer 7xx pro-logic receiver and and a Pioneer 535 DVD player. For speakers I have KEF Q-10's for the mains and KEF Reference 90 for my center. One of the reasons I posted was that I heard the new Onkyo 494 and was quite impressed by the sound and the very reasonable price.

This was my first post on this forum and I really appreciate all the info and help.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yest that's Unicron,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.