AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought the TCL P605 and got an Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro and a Sony X800.

But when I'm watching HDR content, I'm not seeing a ''massive upgrade''. For reference, I've watched Planet Earth II (looks phenomenal ), Great Gatsby (was kind of meh), Spider Man: Homecoming, and Daredevil (S2). Probably some YouTube sprinkled in. I've also played Horizon and Uncharted: LL. Granted, regular HD content looks great on the TV. But too me, I'm not seeing it as I should.

Granted, there are some scenes where I noticed the lighting looks better. For example, the streetlights of NYC in DD look a bit more realistic. The colors of animals (especially in the "Forrest" episode) of PEII look good. Gaming is kind of....I'm not sure really.

I keep reading on here people on here talking about how it's the biggest jump since SD to HD. I guess I don't see it as that big. Maybe it's the TV I bought. But even when I go to, say Best Buy, the TV looks good but colors on the demos don't necessarily make me scream. Or I could just be colorblind and not know it.

But for those that are impressed, can you describe how it elevates the TV experience for you?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

But when I'm watching HDR content, I'm not seeing a ''massive upgrade''. For reference, I've watched Planet Earth II (looks phenomenal ), Great Gatsby (was kind of meh), Spider Man: Homecoming, and Daredevil (S2). Probably some YouTube sprinkled in. I've also played Horizon and Uncharted: LL. Granted, regular HD content looks great on the TV. But too me, I'm not seeing it as I should.

Granted, there are some scenes where I noticed the lighting looks better. For example, the streetlights of NYC in DD look a bit more realistic. The colors of animals (especially in the "Forrest" episode) of PEII look good. Gaming is kind of....I'm not sure really.

I keep reading on here people on here talking about how it's the biggest jump since SD to HD. I guess I don't see it as that big. Maybe it's the TV I bought. But even when I go to, say Best Buy, the TV looks good but colors on the demos don't necessarily make me scream. Or I could just be colorblind and not know it.

But for those that are impressed, can you describe how it elevates the TV experience for you?
It's your TV.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts

you need a tv with 1000 nits brightness or more for HDR to be impressive

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
you need a tv with 1000 nits brightness or more for HDR to be impressive
For HDR10 yes unless TCL has really good tone mapping. For DV, you could get away with 600+ NITs however being LCD, it's probably not going to be as impressive as DV on OLED.
If your TV could take proper advantage of HDR, highlights like sunshine, flashlights, car headlights, and so on will be blinding.
Then there is WCG which pumps up the colour as well.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
While I've been "wowed", more of my experience has been "meh" when it comes to 4k and HDR content. That being said, the one that has really wowed me was Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. The colors and the brightness really jump off the screen, and the visual aesthetic of the film actually makes sense for it to do so (not to mention that they filmed it with state-of-the-art, super-high-rez cameras, and it shows.) Granted, while it looks great in 4K, it also looks amazing in 3D. Part of the reason why is that the 3D version utilizes the IMAX format for what felt like over half of the film. And when it wasn't full-frame, we were getting tons of frame breaking 3D effects. Tough call which version I prefer.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While I've been "wowed", more of my experience has been "meh" when it comes to 4k and HDR content. That being said, the one that has really wowed me was Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. The colors and the brightness really jump off the screen, and the visual aesthetic of the film actually makes sense for it to do so (not to mention that they filmed it with state-of-the-art, super-high-rez cameras, and it shows.) Granted, while it looks great in 4K, it also looks amazing in 3D. Part of the reason why is that the 3D version utilizes the IMAX format for what felt like over half of the film. And when it wasn't full-frame, we were getting tons of frame breaking 3D effects. Tough call which version I prefer.
Certain movies showcase HDR, 4k, and WCG better than others even though upscaled from 2k to 4k like:
Star Trek Into Darkness
Lego Batman
Lucy
Pacific Rim
The Dark Tower
Transformers 5
Life of Pi
Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2
Wonder Woman

Other showcase 4k and HDR without much impact to colour very well like:
Dunkirk
Logan
Sully
War For The Planet Of The Apes
Spiderman Homecoming
Batman vs Superman

The above are my opinions anyway based on viewing them on a KS8000 and Xbox One S and One X.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Where did you get Guardians Vol.2 in 3D and was it region free or Region A?:confused:

Thanks!
Ed

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok so the HD to 4K standard was a nice step up but HDR is much more obvious.
Crisp, clean almost rendered beauty!
If your TV isn't making it obvious, get a better TV. :cool:

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've noticed a difference and as has been stated it "depends" on the material. Some are great, others not so much.
But to really appreciate the progress and differences you have to watch some "old" stuff.
I own the complete StarGate SG1 series on SD DVD and have been transferring them onto a hard drive via MakeKV. This also triggered a desire to watch the series until my wife and I get bored and move on. We started at the beginning with year one, episode one. The show is one of our favorites and while we are enjoying watching them again the video quality, compared to what is available today just on plain old TV, is far lower. The graininess, lack of detail, smoothing, etc. Even my wife, who is a happy luddite, immediately noticed the lack.

I really appreciate the improvement of video quality and suspect it will only get better overall as time progresses.
The overall experience, video/audio, is vastly improved and the ability to immerse yourself is better and easier. I easily get lost in a great movie and honestly I'm no longer looking for the differences/quality I'm just in the movie...Perhaps that is the definition.

I'm not thrilled about the cost of buying a UHD movie however...$30 is high and $44 is crazy IMO...I'll wait until they drop a bit in price then buy them.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
But even when I go to, say Best Buy, the TV looks good but colors on the demos don't necessarily make me scream....

Well, for starters, Best Buy demos are NOTORIOUS for being a really, really unreliable source of comparison. Plus the lighting in the store is typically not at all representative of what's in your home.

As to why I've been so impressed by HDR? What the most dramatic difference to me has been, is what has been revealed in dark scenes of movies. Whereas many older movies that are darker in tone have been borderline unwatchable, now I can see SO much more in those very same scenes. Underworld is one of the best examples I can think of. I absolutely did not like that movie when it first came out since I could hardly see half of it. Bought its rerelease on 4K with HDR and now that I can freaking see what's going on, I actually kind of enjoyed it!

It's about the VARIATION in lighting and colors that is just so much more realistic and easier on the eyes to me. While true that the resolution of 4K can be more indiscernible on smaller screens, the HDR component that it brings along with it is what the real game changer is. Now, combine 4K plus HDR plus a 100+" screen? NOW we're talking!

Not sure what's going on with your setup. As much as I'd like to blame your TV, I've heard the TCL P series actually does a decent job with HDR. Perhaps it is something within your TV's and devices' settings. Perhaps it has something to do with your sources like streaming, which I've seen be erratic with deciding whether or not to push HDR through the pipes, kind of like sometimes it bounces back and forth between HD/SD or 5.1/2.0 sound when the internet connection is being wonky. Lots of possible variables, but you SHOULD be noticing a pretty nice difference between SDR and HDR. Especially with your gaming. The comparison screenshots with the PS4 Pro I've seen have been really impressive when it comes to HDR performance!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Speaking from someone that has a good overall TV, but only mediocre specs for HDR.

I'm into it. The first thing where I really "saw" it is in the oft-criticized (if not forgotten) Hibana Spark on Netflix. There was a scene in the first episode where they are in, I believe, a bookstore, and one part of the bookstore is bathed in light, while the other half of the shot is outside the light in the dark. For me, I'd never seen a shot that had the difference in light and dark, and yet so much definition in both.

The next thing was the "Chess" demo...to me, even with moderate HDR specs in terms of brightness and no separate dimming zones, I could see the difference greatly. I've watched it in SDR, and the difference is pretty dramatic.

However, actual content is a different story. I'm a big fan of HDR, but a lot of content, including some UHD blu rays, doesn't do anything particularly special with it. Some things will pop some lightning or shine a flashlight in your face to remind you it's there, but nothing that's in very much service to the content. Other things, like off the top of my head The OA and Death Note on Netflix, there is virtually nothing of note added HDR wise, rendering it barely distinguishable from SDR.

When you combine that with the fact that some people have a preferred viewing style, like a torch mode or something, that the HDR mode is far from, any HDR improvements are impossible because of the distaste for the picture. I still see people claiming that all HDR makes things look "washed out" and dull...I just can't understand that in a million years. Whether the HDR is great or nearly indistinguishable, I've NEVER seen anything like that. Yet people insist it's on all content, and there's nothing wrong with their TV. So all I can say is that they must have started from a much different place than me in terms of how they have their TV settings.

As for content that has great HDR, AND that benefits the content wonderfully, to me that's always Pacific Rim first. Not only do the lasers and lights pop off the screen, the battles in the ocean at night are way, way more crisp and detailed. I didn't particularly like the movie in the actual theater, and especially found the nighttime battle scenes to be muddled and rather laborious to watch. It's a totally different experience in HDR.

Another thing I got a pretty good jolt from was the first episode of Grand Tour. There's a scene when he goes into a dark parking garage, and starts a car, and the trim and everything lights up. That has a pop to it that I had just never seen in any non-HDR content. And if you can excuse the grain, and the crappy show, Iron Fist had super cool HDR to me, with some partially lighted rooms, and colorful flowers and such. I didn't even watch the show, but I fast forwarded through it to check out scenes that looked good.

Because I have an affection for HDR highlights, especially things like headlights, flashlights, fire and especially neon signs, whether they really compliment the content or not, I do always try to do HDR versions when I can, and watch a fair amount of HDR content that I almost certainly wouldn't even turn on if it wasn't HDR.

·
Registered
484 Posts
And I'll add that 4K does almost nothing for me,I'm really all about the HDR. I sit about 10' from a 65", and would be hard pressed to honestly claim I see much difference. Sometimes I'm sure I do (She's Got To Have It on Netflix is incredibly sharp), but then I'll see a really crisp 1080p picture, and realize it's probably just about the content really. In my new place I'm going to move up to about 7.5', maybe I'll appreciate 4K, maybe not.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't have to tell myself that, I can see it. :rolleyes: Unless one watches HDR in the dark, it doesn't look better, in a lot of cases- worse. It is my major disappointment with HDR- you can't make it brighter because your set is already maxed out.
Well, HDR even in HLG form with DirecTV makes a very noticeable difference.
What amazing TV do you have that always looks like HDR? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
but then I'll see a really crisp 1080p picture, and realize it's probably just about the content really.
A lot of truth to this. Reminds me of hi-res audio. When mastered well, hi-res audio tracks (SACD/DSD/etc.) can be mind meltingly good. Then I've heard "hi-res" or "remastered" tracks that were total garbage. Same goes for standard CDs. When mastered right, they can be absolutely outstanding. I believe the experience in either format has the most to do with how much care went into creating the tracks. For standard CDs, I've always been blown away with Reference Recordings who does a lot of classical and always seems to knock it out of the park. They also make killer SACDs and HDCDs too. Again, it's all about the TLC they put into it to begin with.

Same goes for 4K movies. I've seen plenty of 4K stuff that was like "Meh." And then you see standard HD content like from a Pixar movie and it is GORGEOUS!!! That said, the source you get that very same film from can make a huge difference too. Just did an A/B comparison a couple days ago at home with Moana (HD) going back and forth from Netflix to Kaleidescape (a bit-for-bit blu-ray copy) on a Sony X850D. The difference was staggering. No comparison. And this is with an excellent internet connection, so I know that's not what's holding me back here. The blu-ray version is so much more strikingly beautiful.

No matter what though, when done right, HDR can be incredible. So to OP, perhaps check all of your settings on source devices, your tv, and pay attention to what media you're using. That could be what's up. Maybe download some HDR demos if your TV can play from USB. Sony has some really fantastic ones and I believe LG does too.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
OP,

Do not forget that HDR 10 is an open book. It can be used as it is seen fit.

SDR has been wildly enhanced these days. Dynamic contrast, wider color gamuts etc have pushed the boundaries of SDR. Many new HDR capable sets use their DCI-P3 color gamut in SDR also. All of these enhancements make the HDR vs SDR harder to see.

It is true, your tv should have a strong peak light output AND be able to maintain dark blacks at the SAME TIME. In the LCD world this means local dimming is needed. However, some companies such as SAMSUNG can do a hell of a job with global dimming and a few enhancements to improve HDR.

It is a race to hit the specs or HDR...we are barely at the DCI-P3 color space, and the peak light output needed for strong enhancement over SDR is really only available in the premium sets.

That being said...there is more too it. For example, the TCL P605 looks amazing on paper for $600. I owned it, and I must say: I think that the mid range samsungs with half the light output and global dimming do HDR better than that set. Something is not right with the processing. It may have a really wide color gamut on paper but its 93% DCI-P3 looks worse than a mid-range Samsung's HDR with 89% DCI-P3 coverage. And do not get me started on comparing it to the Sony XBR900e. I do not care what is compared on paper...go look at them side by side and you will see where the extra money goes.
No one an calibrate HDR quite yet. This is very much a trust your eyes kind of deal right now. The TV that can impress you the most with HDR content wins.

Light output + color gamut coverage + black levels (during times of peak output) are the three key ingredients....but some sets that do these well on paper and review sites still may not look as good as a lesser tv in HDR.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts