AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

For FTLee

631 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  otter
I ask this to you as I think you have a similar set up to mine. I am running a my computer thru an ATi 9700 Pro via DVI to the Samsung HLM507. I am using Powerstrip to run resolution of 1280 x 720 and the TV is set on Computer Wide. I am no able to fill the screen, I have about one and a half inches all the way around that is dead space. If I switch to TV wide it fill up the whole image and then some causing the desktop to be to big. I have not been able to find the right Powerstrip setting. Did you find a fix to this problem? I would greatly appreciate it. If someone else has figured this out, please.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
otter,

The settings you want to use are 1280x720 on your computer, and Wide(TV) on your 507W. There is no way to eliminate the overscan.

-ftlee
Wow, that has to be the quickest response in the history to AVS Forum, Thanks.

Overscan, dang!
Quote:
There is no way to eliminate the overscan.
That's too bad. I'm not positive but I think that on the GWII pics thread motjes2 has been able to eliminate the overscan on his GWII after much tweaking. I always thought that the DLP sets were much more user friendly in this regard. Are you sure there's no way to fiddle with it to make it work? If not, then the DLPs may be more user friendly at first, but ironically the GWIIs might end up being the better choice for HTPC setup, since it's at least possible to make it near perfect.
Vermonster,

I have said in the past that what motjes2 has been able to accomplish for his HTPC into the GWII is amazing. He eliminated the overscan using the SM on the GWII. There are no such settings in the Sammy DLPs. Therefore, you cannot eliminate the overscan issue.

I believe that he is also able to run his HTPC and TV in side-by-side PIP mode (and resize the windows). This is something else you cannot do on the Sammys.

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee
See less See more
You can still tweak the video stream so that the overscan doesn't cut off your desktop. You can use powerstrip to embed a smaller resolution desktop window into the stream by increasing the sizes of the porches.
Quote:
You can use powerstrip to embed a smaller resolution desktop window into the stream by increasing the sizes of the porches.
What, huh, Can you explain or post your settings. This would be great!
"You can still tweak the video stream so that the overscan doesn't cut off your desktop. You can use powerstrip to embed a smaller resolution desktop window into the stream by increasing the sizes of the porches."

Yes, I would also like to know what this means...did you completely eliminate the overscan problem on your set?
Quote:
Originally posted by jmv
You can still tweak the video stream so that the overscan doesn't cut off your desktop. You can use powerstrip to embed a smaller resolution desktop window into the stream by increasing the sizes of the porches.
Will this work with the DVI connection to the Samsung or just the VGA connection? One thing to remember is the the Sony GWIIs convert the DVI input into analog to be processed like the rest of the analog signals.

You might want to implement porches on the VGA input but I think it would really muck things up on the DVI input.

Regarding over scan and HTPCs:

Any HTPC worth it's salt will have a setup to look after this, not by eliminating it bu by working around it. If you are trying to use it as a regular computer monitor it is going to be a bit annoying. I would look at something like myHTPC to give you a nice user interface that would still allow you to use most of your favorite programs.

The only big problem is video games. Most are full screen and not designed for over scan. This leads to some of the controls/status displays being cut off. Hopefully we will see a change in this in the future. Playing Doom III on my 50 inch Samsung was something I was looking forward to. (All I need now is Doom III and a Samsung DLP ;-)
See less See more
jmv,

Yes, please post your settings. What we want is no overscan when using the DVI input for the HTPC. Can you accommodate this request? If so, you will be a popular individual since no one else has been able to pull it off on the Sammy. It works like a champ on the GWII.

Thanks,

-ftlee
I tried this to no avail. The screen goes blank and I get a DVI No Signal on the display. Then I have to re-boot.

Where did JMV go?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.