AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. What is the 1 title that sticks out the most as an essential dvd purchase for you based on seeing it in the theatre or on TV etc.., that in actuallity you question why you bought it.

For Me. - The Fox and The Hound.

I bought it as part of my Kurt Russel Collection and neither myself or my 2 sons 4 and 2 can sit through it. I remember I used to like it and assumed they would.

Being Disney I assumed it was "essential"

Another title was Pee Wees Big Adventure - I loved this movie on repeat cable viewings now I find it dull and outdated, of course after I bought the DVD.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Star Wars 1 and 2.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Mean Streets.Very raw and vital it the theater but I dont know if i want to see it all clean and shiny on DVD.

·
Registered
28,080 Posts
Dances With Wolves.

I'm ashamed to admit I thought this movie was brilliant when I was a high-schooler. Saw it again years later and.... GAH!!!

Dumped the copy I purchased within a week.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Uhhh....Iron Eagles.

Thought it would have cool surround effects...nuff said. :D

·
Banned
172 Posts
Thanks Josh Z for the advice on Dances with wolves. I was actually thinking about buying it, now it's on the re-consideration list.

I have since sold all these DVDs.

Star wars I, II (I was hoping to complete the triology, but decided absolutely no way)

Close encounters of the third kind, CE (I liked all the other Steven Spielberg DVDs, except for this one, which just drags on and on and on...)

Supergirl, LE (the beauty factor can only go so far in selling in a mediocre script)

Superman I (the first part is great, the second part with Luther is childish by today's standards, had to let it go)

Superman II (really liked it when it came out in theaters, has lost much of its luster over the years)

MIB, LE

To catch a thief (Gary Grant has too much of a tan in that movie)

Apollo 13, DTS (sadly, to me, it's one time affair, sold the movie 2 weeks after the first viewing)

Bridge on the river kwai, LE (still have it, but doubt I'll watch it again, keeping it just for sentimental values)

Matrix (unloaded it just because they are coming out with new releases)

Die hard I, five star (the story seems corny on second viewing)

Die hard II, five star (just b/c I'm letting go the first one)

Die hard III, five star (absolutely the worst of the trilogy)

Lifeforce (that girl is absolutely gorgeous, but still can't make up for that mediocre script after repeated viewing)

Cleopatra, five star (The first part is brilliant, the second part, that Anthony character whines like a brat, I mean, grow up, he was a Roman general for crying out loud! The Anthony character might have had considerable presence in bed with Elizabeth Tylor [see the documentary], but he sucked big time as the Roman general hoping to succeed Ceasar. Again, keeping it purely for sentimental reasons)

Lawrence of arabia, LE (only seen it once, don't know if I will have the patience again to watch it again)

Journey to the center of the earth (lost much of its luster over the years)

·
Registered
326 Posts
n/a.

If something was interesting enough for me to what to purchase it.... be it from a fond memory, or just cuz the description on the box was cool.... then I'm glad to have it be a part of my collection.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Silent Running. Absolute whiny pretentious tree-hugger crap. I used to love this movie as a kid. I have to admit the drones still have a certain anthropomorphic charm though.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I'm glad that one outlives Bruce Dern at the end.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree with Superman... I remember loving it as a kid, but when I bought the DVD and watched it again... it was long and boring... I was really disappointed.

Another movie I liked when I was younger was Woman in Red.... I saw it recently... and well... the only good bit about it now is Kelly's rack.

I am now really hesitant about buying movies I liked as a kid. However ther have been a couple of movies that come to mind, that have stood the test of time... they are, Krull, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... (Ooompa loompa, doompa de doo...)

·
Registered
463 Posts
I can't believe that I actually bought 'Batteries Not Included'...What the hell was I thinking???

Not even 16 x 9....Oh man...I must have been smoking something fierce!!! :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I would never give up my Star Wars, Apollo 13, or Die Hard...except for a better re-release or better format.:D Star Wars is one of my top 5 reference DVDs for sound and video. If I had to get rid of one of my Tom Hanks movie, I would part with Cast Away first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Meet Joe Black.....Boring, boring , boring.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can't get thru it no matter how many times I've tried.

My second ...What Dreams May Come...Robin Williams & Cuba Gooding...

Paid a premium for this one $27.99...probably what bothers me the most.

My third......Ronin , great cast...great car chase and thats were it ends....anybody know what was in the brief case by the way ?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I bought Gladiator blind, on the basis of the enthusiasm on this forum, and thought, "haven't these people seen any of the good sword and sandal epics?"

I got Raising Arizona on the strength of the memories, but found its Coen brothers affectations a tad too self-conscious and the performances too over-the-top. The Big Lebowski does a similar turn much better.

The Prisoner set looked too good to be true, but it's look is rather dated now, and the encoding is pretty blocky. Sorta glad I have it, but I stalled in watching it about three episodes in.

I figured I would be again disappointed in Journey to the Center of the Earth, and I was, but I just had to see it in its proper aspect ratio again, after forty or more years.

After amassing thousands of unnecessary beta tapes, I have learned to be very careful about what I buy, so I tend not to have this problem very frequently.

·
Registered
28,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
Thanks Josh Z for the advice on Dances with wolves. I was actually thinking about buying it, now it's on the re-consideration list.
Some people still seem to think this is a great movie. I find it embarrassing. To each their own.

Quote:
Superman I (the first part is great, the second part with Luther is childish by today's standards, had to let it go)
I agree with you 100% on this one. I'm surprised it didn't come to mind for me earlier.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The three-hour Superman that was on ABC (?) once (and only once)was really good. That's what I'm holding out for.

Remember it was based on a Broadway play, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.