AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i am debating from building a home theatre pc or just buying a gaming console like xbox or ps2?

I have a Sanyo z3, shooting onto a Da-Lite 96" screen.

I just want it for gaming - so what would be your choice? I am new to HTPC's

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
all depends on what games you play, if they are available for the PC or the Xbox or PS2 look at what you play more of and go from there.

- Josh

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's all about the games.

If you are into real time strategy, or massively multiplayer onling game, or if you are First Person Shooter purist and insist on keyboard / mouse control for those games, then PC is probably the way to go.

If you like sports games, driving games, platformers, fighting games, misc. Then you might want to get a console.

There is also cost to consider. Consoles you buy once every 4-5 years and that's it other than the games. In that time you can spend thousands of dollars upgrading your PC.

Also, do you want to play games sitting at a desk, or sitting on the couch? Do you want to be looking at a TV or a higher resolution monitor? You can probably get a PC working on that big screen, but that's not the way most people play so you might have compatability issues.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too had the same debate and decided to build a HTPC/Game system instead of buying a console....

Lets just say buying the console would have been alot cheaper.... but the quality i get from my PC cant be touched by a console at this point (maybe the new xbox 360 and ps3 blow it away but who knows).

The consoles will cost around 400 bucks where a HTPC/Game system could cost a lot more.

I spent around 2K on my system and I still have to get TV tuner cards.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by preiter
Also, do you want to play games sitting at a desk, or sitting on the couch? Do you want to be looking at a TV or a higher resolution monitor? You can probably get a PC working on that big screen, but that's not the way most people play
Ha! Speak for yourself, you do know this is the Home Theater PC section don't you. :rolleyes: :p ;) :)

Half Life 2 with a wireless mouse and keyboard on a projected 80" screen (yeah, yeah mines smaller than most :rolleyes: ) is totally sick! :D

peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.