AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a dual core be sufficient for an HTPC with an Infinitv 4? Let's say I'm recording 2 items, and watching a third: will I see performance issues? What if I'm watching 1080p videos?

I'm concerned about bottlenecks here. I don't want to build anything too crazy, because then I will be sad because my HTPC will be better than my current PC, lol. I want to build the minimum that will allow for smooth playback and recording without frame dropouts.

I was thinking of getting an i3 2100 with an ATI Radeon 5570 to cover my bases for the 1080p. If I go with a discrete graphics card, I could possibly try out the 2100T for a cooler processor. However, it's possible that the i3 2105 w/ HD3000 would be sufficient for my needs to. The problem is that it's hard for me to find the info to determine what system would be suitable for what. More gfx card reviews pit it against games, which I won't be using this system for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot about my last alternative: rehost my current PC in an HTPC case and use that, and then buy new parts for a new computer for myself

My current PC:

Core 2 Duo 6550

4GB DDR2-1066 or 800, can't remember

ATI 4870

I'm hoping that the c2d here would still work fine for HD DVR/watching simultaneously.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Absolutely it will work fine. Recording is not a big task at all. The 4870 should do the playback well. I don't what your signal source but that is competent enough hardware.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20907070

Absolutely it will work fine. Recording is not a big task at all. The 4870 should do the playback well. I don't what your signal source but that is competent enough hardware.

thanks for the reply. I'm assuming you're referring to both the i3 and the c2d being competent.

do you recommend a discrete card for 1080p playback? or would the HD3000 onboard gfx controller be sufficient theoretically?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
- Recording involves TV tuner (demodulation), HDD (I/O performance), very little CPU, no GPU. A modern HDD is good enough to record 4 programs simultaneously.

- Watching live TV involves TV tuner (demodulation), some CPU (~10% for a 2-core) and some GPU (decoding MPEG-2 + post-processing).

HD 3k (i3-2105) is somewhat pointless. HD non-2k/3k (Celeon/Pentium) or HD 2k (i3-2100) is good enough for video playback, whether it is 480i60, 1080p24, 1080i60 or 1080p60. If you want to ride the current trend of madVR (you can't use it to watch live TV, though), Pentium G6xx/G8xx + GeForce GT 430 is a good choice.

Oh, I forgot to read your second post. If you want to continue to use C2D, there is no problem. HD 4870 is good, but a bit power-hungry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20907159

- Recording involves TV tuner (demodulation), HDD (I/O performance), very little CPU, no GPU. A modern HDD is good enough to record 4 programs simultaneously.

- Watching live TV involves TV tuner (demodulation), some CPU (~10% for a 2-core) and some GPU (decoding MPEG-2 + post-processing).

HD 3k (i3-2105) is somewhat pointless. HD non-2k/3k (Celeon/Pentium) or HD 2k (i3-2100) is good enough for video playback, whether it is 480i60, 1080p24, 1080i60 or 1080p60. If you want to ride the current trend of madVR (you can't use it to watch live TV, though), Pentium G6xx/G8xx + GeForce GT 430 is a good choice.

Oh, I forgot to read your second post. If you want to continue to use C2D, there is no problem. HD 4870 is good, but a bit power-hungry.

I figured the integrated chips were sufficient enough, too. However, I had a spare computer running dual Xeons, 4 GB ram and I threw in a 6450 from the store because it was heatsink only. For some reason, I was dropping frames frequently @ 1080p fullscreen, and semi-frequently at 1080p windowed or 720p fullscreen. I figured the system was more than powerful enough to run the HD content, yet I was dropping frames and getting a slightly stuttered playback.

Not sure what could have been causing that other than the graphics card, which is why I was a bit concerned about having a nice(r) discrete card in there.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Perhaps it's a player issue. Without a proper player/video decoder you could see stuttering/dropped frames with any graphics card.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20908034

Perhaps it's a player issue. Without a proper player/video decoder you could see stuttering/dropped frames with any graphics card.

I use VLC player. Is there a better alternative I should use?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
In general VLC is not good to play HD videos. I recommend MPC HomeCinema. Check the sticky thread "Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide" for basic (and advanced) setup.

For live TV and playing back recordings with Infinitv4, you will use WMC internal player, however. The default setup of WMC should be good (and there is no other choice for "Copy Once"-flagged contents).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.