AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around the net for this one, with no real solution.. but I have an older sony Hi8 Digital Camcorder (TRV310).. when I attempt to put in any battery, even batteries charged on a 3rd party charger (a new one, one of them).. they give me an error on the LCD, "For infolithium only" and the unit shuts off... If I try to charge via the AC adapter, I dont get the incrementing icon, instead its a flashing battery icon.. so new or old, battery wise the same thing happens...

Has anyone run into this and found a fix short of buying a new cam?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wow...I have never had that problem with my 310. It sounds serious.

Sony batteries have 3 connectors on them. The 2 round holes in one end are the + and - connections which are probably OK. The wide shinny tab on the back side near the 2 round holes, I think is the voltage monitor (Info) connection. This is probably the one that isn't feeding it's signal to the electronics inside the camcorder. If you are lucky you might be able to clean these contacts and correct the problem. Try to clean all three contacts. If you are unlucky the electronics inside the camcorder is probably defective and I doubt you can fix it. I think Sony charges $295 to fix a camcorder that is out of warranty. I am glad I don't have to make that decision.

Dave

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I played around with those 2 contacts (the ones close together, springy, etc).. I was able to make it work by prying them outward a bit..

Glad I didnt have to hunting for a new unit
Although, in the near future I've been considering getting the Sony HDR-SR1 (HD) or the Sony HDR-HC3 (digital8).. I'm partial to the harddrive type, but not having a "backup" also makes me nervous, given the avg DVD life these days.

Anyways, Thanks for the tips!

Mark

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That 310 is one of the best "low-light" camcorders made. Since you are used to that performance, be ready to be disappointed by the low-light performance of any current camcorder. I don't know what that HDR-HC3 camcorder is but it is a safe bet that it isn't a Digital8 camcorder. Sony quit making Digital8 camcorders in 2005. I wouldn't want a hard drive camcorder but somebody must see something desirable in them? It would have been wonderful if Sony would have upgraded the Digital8 line but the idiots must have prevailed in those marketing decisions. I am glad I don't need to buy a camcorder today. I don't see any good choices under $2300.

Dave

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC E100 /forum/post/0

That 310 is one of the best "low-light" camcorders made. Since you are used to that performance, be ready to be disappointed by the low-light performance of any current camcorder. I don't know what that HDR-HC3 camcorder is but it is a safe bet that it isn't a Digital8 camcorder. Sony quit making Digital8 camcorders in 2005. I wouldn't want a hard drive camcorder but somebody must see something desirable in them? It would have been wonderful if Sony would have upgraded the Digital8 line but the idiots must have prevailed in those marketing decisions. I am glad I don't need to buy a camcorder today. I don't see any good choices under $2300.

Dave

So are you resistant to the Harddrive camcorders because of the lack of tape as a "backup"?

This is the SR1: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do It has 4 Lux listed on camcorderinfo... I think its low light was not as bad as the HC3.

This is the HC3 http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do I think this unit did get bad low light reviews.

Sorry, I meant that the HC3 uses miniDV, which if I'm not mistaken is only about 63 minutes of HD content (of course right now I only get 60 mins), but compared to the HardDrive HD unit, it is rather short.

Also, the old TRV310 was listed as 4 Lux on the camcorderinfo site.. I had thought it has lower light levels (ie: 2 LUX, etc), I know its zero lux using the infrared, but thats infrared/nightshot.

Do you know if it was 4 lux for the 310.. if so I would think the HD Harddrive unit may be comparible...

What would you consider a good camcorder (HDef) that is over $2300 (for future purchase

Cheers

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My manual rates the 310 at 1 lux. I tend to not believe most lux ratings but I think Sony will use the same standards when ever they rate one of their own camcorders. I don't think any camcorder under $2300 made since 2000 will be comparable to the low light performance of the 310.

I don't know anything about HDef camcorders. The SD camcorder Sony VX2100 is the lowest priced camcorder today with comparable low-light performance to the 310. It is a 3-CCD camcorder where the 310 is a 1-CCD camcorder but their low-light performance should be about the same.

Since 2000 the manufacturers have reduced the size of their products and increased the number of pixels on the smaller CCD's. Both of those factors (increased # of pixels and smaller CCD's) reduce the low light performance of todays camcorders.

I have several things against HDD camcorders.

1. Harder than MiniDV & D8 to get their compressed video into your computer.

2. Harder to find editing software to edit their compressed video.

3. Hard Drives tend to be full at the worst possible times. With tapes you just pop in a new $4 tape. With hard drives you have to erase valuable footage to make room for

new footage. Not a problem is you always keep your hard drive almost empty. But everybody knows that is not likely to happen with most people, especially while on vacation far away from your computer.

4. Hard Drives are easier to damage with shock and vibration than tape.

The only advantage I can think of that HDD camcorders would have is longer recording time. 60 minutes is way to short for events and concerts. If it is a bottom loading tape camcorder, you have a big problem making a fast tape change. But if you use 2 camcorders you can stagger your tape changes at important events.

I am getting up in age and I don't plan on making the transition to HDef so I don't follow the HDef camcorders. Great SD video will beat poor low light High Def video any day. I was just trying to warn you about what you think will be an upgrade but may prove to be a down grade with current camcorders.

Dave

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well.. it turned out I was wrong thinking those 2 little contacts were the issue.. as the problem keeps occuring (infolithium error).. I tried everything to get it to work, but no luck.

Sucks because even on ebay, used ones are getting $150, I really didnt want to pay that kind of cash for a used, older standard DV camcorder.

So for now I've ordered an extra AC cord/adapter, this will at least let us use it indoors and even on the back porch as needed.

By summertime I'll have to find an alternative.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I must have misunderstood one of your posts? I thought that even the AC charger wouldn't power the camcorder. Now that I know the AC charger works with the camcorder I would say you have 3 bad batteries. Even new batteries can be bad.

Dave

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

I must have misunderstood one of your posts? I thought that even the AC charger wouldn't power the camcorder. Now that I know the AC charger works with the camcorder I would say you have 3 bad batteries. Even new batteries can be bad.

Dave

Seems hard to believe, 1 of them was rarely ever used though...

But I'm curious if you've heard of this camera.. it appears to be a little better pixel wise, maybe 1 lux worse on light.. but about the same price as many want on ebay for a used 310:

http://avoutpost.com/cgi-bin/it.pl?a...howItem&id=893

(Sony DCR-HC26) or http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat...&sku=PANPVGS39 (panasonic)... Cnet is kinda hard on both units, but users seem to like them.. and they are 16:9 capable at least. Hard to find a unit rated above a 6.0 on Cnet that isnt in the $299 and up category.

I may be better off buying a new one (non-HD of some variety, than buying on ebay).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have no personal knowledge of either one. My general impression is that you will be extremely disappointed in both of them after being used to the performance of the 310. The GS39 has no details in the description but I suspect it has the same 1/6" CCD that the HC26 has. So the low light performance will be very poor. The HC26 has no analog inputs, no headphone jack, no LANC jack and a sucking tiny 2.5" LCD. I wouldn't want either one.

If it were me I would pursue getting new batteries for the 310. I would take the camcorder down to Best Buy (here in the USA) and have them try one of their Sony L series batteries in it. See if your 310 can charge it. If it can, buy 2 or 3 of them. My money is bet on you having 3 bad batteries right now.

Dave

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:

I have no personal knowledge of either one. My general impression is that you will be extremely disappointed in both of them after being used to the performance of the 310. The GS39 has no details in the description but I suspect it has the same 1/6" CCD that the HC26 has. So the low light performance will be very poor. The HC26 has no analog inputs, no headphone jack, no LANC jack and a sucking tiny 2.5" LCD. I wouldn't want either one.

If it were me I would pursue getting new batteries for the 310. I would take the camcorder down to Best Buy (here in the USA) and have them try one of their Sony L series batteries in it. See if your 310 can charge it. If it can, buy 2 or 3 of them. My money is bet on you having 3 bad batteries right now.

Dave

So the bigger the CCD the better for light I guess? The 310 was 1/4", in fact, all these miniDVs i found (some i didnt list), have 1/6".. that sucks.

Well I did try a new battery.. at first it worked fine.. then I plugged in the AC adapter to charge it on the camera.. it started charging.. I look over a few mins later and the bar became the flashing bar, instead of displaying the mins etc.. i switch to camera mode and I get the infolithium error.

So I guess there is something wrong with the microchip that does the infolithium inside it.. I guess its back to ebay and try to find a deal on a 310.

I'm trying to hold out for the HDR-HC7, its supposed to have adjustable shutter speed, supposidly you can set it to 1/30.. what folks on here say works well for low light..

I did find a few other models.. the Cannon Elura 100, slightly bigger CCD, a small step up from the other 1/6" ones, Camcorderinfo seemed to like the video quality at least: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon...oductDetail.do

But anyways.. it appears I'm back to the drawing board.

Again thanks for the tips and all..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.